ADVERTISEMENT

Deacon Hill in Transfer Portal

How about you? What's your height and weight? Do you think if Deacon was say 225 lbs you would feel a single bit different about his on field performance?
What a stupid comeback......MitchLL isn't competing to EARN his scholarship/NIL funding & help his team win games.

Deacon would still suck at 225, but at least that would show he's making an effort to get into shape & then he might not make Petras look like a dancing gazelle.

Thanks Deac. Wasn't his fault.
I agree with this sentiment (mostly). He simply wasn't good enough. But, it wasn't as if he could tell the coaching staff, "Thanks, but I think I'll sit this one out." I was just disappointed that he came into the spring not fixing the one thing he had control over, that didn't require any coaching.

I'm going to be walking around work at full mast all day today.

This has to mean that Kirk and Co have set their sights on an upcoming QB in the portal.
You might get in deep s@&T with your HR department though!?!? 😬

He was not a B1G QB but I think that he did his best to compete. There is no reason to act like aholes on a forum. Good luck to him in the future.
Exactly. People shouldn't be shitting on the guy that accepted the offer to come to Iowa. This was 100% on the braintrust of Brian, Bud, and Kirk who brought him here in the first place.

Last edited:
Excited Season 7 GIF by The Office

Bout Fricken Time.

Just highlites how wrong this staff was last season.

Huh…. This highlights how “wrong “they were “last year”….

What the hell does that even mean?

A quarterback transfers, out one that performed poorly, and that shows how wrong the staff was last year…

All I can tell you is it just improved the quality of this message board. I won’t have to listen to people bitch about Deacon Hill and Kirk Ferentz quite as much as I have.

Quite frankly Deacon made this board almost unreadable.

As much as I want to post a "celebration"-type pic, I won't, because Deacon was a Hawkeye and he tried his best. It was not his fault at all that our offensive coaching staff identified him as a Div I QB and got our QB room in such poor shape that we needed him to start a majority of games last season. This is exactly what was expected if Iowa indeed brought in an OC who was an adult and competent and actually serious about having a decent offense.

Godspeed, DH.

A quarterback transfers, out one that performed poorly, and that shows how wrong the staff was last year…

All I can tell you is it just improved the quality of this message board. I won’t have to listen to people bitch about Deacon Hill and Kirk Ferentz quite as much as I have.

He's 100% correct.......Deacon had no business being on our roster & even less being our starting QB last season.

Please take your whining elsewhere.......maybe CryClownFanatic will have you.

Or....they gave him a weight loss/fitness target for spring and he missed it and they waited for camp was over, giving him a shot, to tell him he wasnt going to work out.
Devil's advocate - if they gave him a weight loss/fitness goal and he did not meet it coming into spring practice, why the f* wasn't he just told to GFO then? Was there any reason for them to think "Well, he weighs more now than he did last fall, and didn't do jack sh*t with what we asked of him the past 3 1/2 months, but heck, might as well let him take a majority of spring practice snaps and see if he suddenly got better."?

Reactions: Bishop-71

Fortunately, Beth took care of Problem #1.

You don't need to be a genius to see and know Hill was bad. And he wasn't some 18 year old true freshman that was getting game time. Hell, he wasn't even capable of being what KF wants in a QB...minimizing mistakes.
This board was 100% "spot on" last year.

You know it had to kill the Ferentz Bros to put ML into bowl game and admit they fvcked up!

I think he will do just fine in a little less competitive division. Like I said you can't admit that every defense was going to pin it's eats back on a green QB. So he is probably not as bad as some would like to think or how it looks. Throw in the fact every defense we played knew what was coming and again it is not all on Hill. Thanks for being a Hawk and good luck and have fun finishing your career elsewhere. I think what it came down to was accuracy and even more important his slow progressions. He wanted to wait until the window was wide open, instead of seeing how things were going to play out and then throwing to a spot. Like bird hunting, you have to see everything else, tress. buildings, telephone poles, farmers cows, ect, AND you have to lead the bird with your shot. Not that you should be hunting that close to livestock or buildings, but................ my dad did get his windshield shot out of his truck by bird hunters, so some are not very good at what I am trying to describe.

As Lester said during his press availability, everything he called during practices was having Cade in mind, not Deac or Marco. His job was to make sure he was preparing the other 10 starters (and the backups) for the new offense so that once Cade came back it would be a lot easier plug and play. They had Deac taking the first team reps because he could go thru his progressions better than Marco which made the offense run a little bit better for the other 10 starters. It was never about Deac, it was about everyone else.

And now that that the portal is open, Lester can go find a competent backup to Cade at the least, and at the most, someone who can directly compete and then possibly take the job if Cade hasn't regained his former self or is still too injured.

I said on another thread that I don't think it's a coincidence that Sullivan, the presumed starter at NW and a guy Lester previously recruited at WMU, is now in the portal a few mins after Deac announced. I think that's our guy.

He was not a B1G QB but I think that he did his best to compete. There is no reason to act like aholes on a forum. Good luck to him in the future.
The people to blame are K and B Ferentz not Hill. Truth hurts though. Was rather ridiculous that someone in his life didn't get on him about realistic dreams and body types. The real clowns are the father and son Ferentz

You forgot BF.

I think he will do just fine in a little less competitive division. Like I said you can't admit that every defense was going to pin it's eats back on a green QB. So he is probably not as bad as some would like to think or how it looks. Throw in the fact every defense we played knew what was coming and again it is not all on Hill. Thanks for being a Hawk and good luck and have fun finishing your career elsewhere. I think what it came down to was accuracy and even more important his slow progressions. He wanted to wait until the window was wide open, instead of seeing how things were going to play out and then throwing to a spot. Like bird hunting, you have to see everything else, tress. buildings, telephone poles, farmers cows, ect, AND you have to lead the bird with your shot. Not that you should be hunting that close to livestock or buildings, but................ my dad did get his windshield shot out of his truck by bird hunters, so some are not very good at what I am trying to describe.
No he won't, not without a lot of work and sculpting. Lower level QBs are typically pretty good, just smaller and not as strong of an arm. His fundamentals are awful.

As Lester said during his press availability, everything he called during practices was having Cade in mind, not Deac or Marco. His job was to make sure he was preparing the other 10 starters (and the backups) for the new offense so that once Cade came back it would be a lot easier plug and play. They had Deac taking the first team reps because he could go thru his progressions better than Marco which made the offense run a little bit better for the other 10 starters. It was never about Deac, it was about everyone else.

And now that that the portal is open, Lester can go find a competent backup to Cade at the least, and at the most, someone who can directly compete and then possibly take the job if Cade hasn't regained his former self or is still too injured.

I said on another thread that I don't think it's a coincidence that Sullivan, the presumed starter at NW and a guy Lester previously recruited at WMU, is now in the portal a few mins after Deac announced. I think that's our guy.
You my friend need to start a Sullivan rumor thread

Pretty decent upgrade. I could see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT