ADVERTISEMENT

Deacon Hill in Transfer Portal

Fellas, I'm starting to think KF and Lester are starting to get serious about wanting to win football games and actually score more than 9 points in a game.
V'mon Percy, they did win 10 hames last year. Depending who leads our offense will determine if we can do better than that.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Northwestern's QB announced for the portal. Some are speculating we may be going after him. Possibly Deacon's reason for leaving.

wedding-crasher-hro.gif

Do not want to beat up Hill, but I am very glad he is moving on for himself and a lot of Iowa fans. He sounds like a nice young man and I certainly wish him the best. It was not his fault he was thrown into a very challenging situation repeatedly by the Ferentzx2.

I think we're on the same page on this one. I would think (hope) guys sign on to play because they think that they can play. When his time came, I don't fault him for buckling up his chinstrap and going out there when he's told to do so. He simply wasn't good enough, which was compounded by the ineffectiveness of the coaches to create anything resembling an offense. Whether Lainez would have been better doesn't matter anymore. That's in the rearview mirror. As far as Hill this spring, he should have come into the spring practice down at least 20 pounds; I'm not saying that alone would have made a difference, but it surely wouldn't have hurt to try.

It doesn't appear that Hill was in the plans for the fall, so he's leaving, which probably supports the initial premise that he came to Iowa thinking he was good enough to play at Iowa. At least in the eyes of last fall's coaching staff, he was. This spring, he isn't.

Hill not coming into camp in better condition was an indicator to me of lack of commitment. Kirk mentioned last Fall that Deacon would need to be in better.condition and the staff was there to help him.

Really hoping the hawks hold his scholarship like they did when they pulled in Brown. OSU is going to have a QB transfer that could have monster upside.

Reactions: desihawk
Really hoping the hawks hold his scholarship like they did when they pulled in Brown. OSU is going to have a QB transfer that could have monster upside.
on the money. seeing that osu is getting yet another qb to transfer in.
or maybe they take deac and we swap for their leftover guy

Do not want to beat up Hill, but I am very glad he is moving on for himself and a lot of Iowa fans. He sounds like a nice young man and I certainly wish him the best. It was not his fault he was thrown into a very challenging situation repeatedly by the Ferentzx2.
Amen!!

First time poster, newly interested in Hawkeye Football.
So, are they going to find someone to play QB?

Iowa should reach out to this guy:

Kaidon Salter, Liberty (Withdrew from Portal to Return to Liberty)
Salter entered the portal shortly after Liberty's Fiesta Bowl loss to Oregon and is expected to draw interest from top Power 5 teams looking for a signal-caller. The Texas native started his career at Tennessee but transferred to Liberty before taking a snap with the Volunteers. After playing in 10 games from 2021-22 with the Flames, Salter took control of the offense under new coach Jamey Chadwell and thrived. En route to leading the Flames to 13 wins and a Conference USA title, Salter threw for 2,876 yards and 32 touchdowns to just six picks. Also, he ran for 1,089 yards and 12 scores over 163 attempts.

Hill not coming into camp in better condition was an indicator to me of lack of commitment. Kirk mentioned last Fall that Deacon would need to be in better.condition and the staff was there to help him.
Bingo...said the same thing in another thread. Bottom line it looked as though he made no effort to trim down a bit. Good luck to him wherever he lands.

You could make a lot of us and yourself quite happy and not post here anymore if it such a burden on your life.

Dude, I’m here because of you… it just occurred to me here recently. Hell, I might not like this board at all if I didn’t have you guys to screw with.

😂🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓😂😂😂😂

I’ve been doing a little self evaluation and I ssy that I don’t like bitchy people but now that I think of it, I guess I do kinda like fvcking with those of you who are incapable of critiquing a situation without being shitty and nasty

Thanks by the way… if you keep responding to me, I’ll keep throwing shade back your way🤷‍♂️

Bingo...said the same thing in another thread. Bottom line it looked as though he made no effort to trim down a bit. Good luck to him wherever he lands.

I also was surprised by that… Pretty hard for me to believe they didn’t demand he got in better shape.

Bout Fricken Time.

Just highlites how wrong this staff was last season.
I can see the thought that Marco wasn't ready mid season last year to be thrown in. No excuse for that at this point, so I'm sure the staff let DH know it was time to move on. Don't know where he's going to go, but just be sure they don't take him back. I'd rather see the walk on Tommy Poholsky in there.....

He's 100% correct.......Deacon had no business being on our roster & even less being our starting QB last season.

Please take your whining elsewhere.......maybe CryClownFanatic will have you.

What are “they” correct about…. That we had poor quarterbacks after Cade McNamara.

Agreed but that’s not what he said… anything else?

Devil's advocate - if they gave him a weight loss/fitness goal and he did not meet it coming into spring practice, why the f* wasn't he just told to GFO then? Was there any reason for them to think "Well, he weighs more now than he did last fall, and didn't do jack sh*t with what we asked of him the past 3 1/2 months, but heck, might as well let him take a majority of spring practice snaps and see if he suddenly got better."?
Reports were that Marco was getting the largest share of work......

Reactions: cmhawks99
Fortunately, Beth took care of Problem #1.

You don't need to be a genius to see and know Hill was bad. And he wasn't some 18 year old true freshman that was getting game time. Hell, he wasn't even capable of being what KF wants in a QB...minimizing mistakes.
This board was 100% "spot on" last year.

You know it had to kill the Ferentz Bros to put ML into bowl game and admit they fvcked up!

Did you watch the same bowl game I did?

I wanna make sure I’m real clear on a couple things because there’s a handful of you that struggle badly on what my opinion is..

Brian, should have been gone the year before, likely not hired…

Deacon was super poor and not sure how or why D1 athletes get so out of shape…

KF seemingly sabotages himself at times…

Now for what you said, they are clearly not very enamored with ML or they wouldn’t be rushing out to get another quarterback… You guys have agendas and therefore you’re incapable of seeing reality.

Marco was a terrible quarterback in that game.

So in reality, if the boards opinion was, we didn’t have any good QBs yes, they would’ve been right, however, that’s not how they articulated it

As Lester said during his press availability, everything he called during practices was having Cade in mind, not Deac or Marco. His job was to make sure he was preparing the other 10 starters (and the backups) for the new offense so that once Cade came back it would be a lot easier plug and play. They had Deac taking the first team reps because he could go thru his progressions better than Marco which made the offense run a little bit better for the other 10 starters. It was never about Deac, it was about everyone else.

And now that that the portal is open, Lester can go find a competent backup to Cade at the least, and at the most, someone who can directly compete and then possibly take the job if Cade hasn't regained his former self or is still too injured.

I said on another thread that I don't think it's a coincidence that Sullivan, the presumed starter at NW and a guy Lester previously recruited at WMU, is now in the portal a few mins after Deac announced. I think that's our guy.

Great info… Thanks for adding that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT