ADVERTISEMENT

Deacon Hill

I imagine we have quite a few left. For more players have left for the portal then we’ve attracted, is Rouse a lock??
He was a little bit ago but now i don't know. Last week i was pretty sure we had rouse and teslaa but after i got the info about setting up a visit for Rouse i heard he was committing really soon. But now i have no clue anymore. I'm giving up on calling my friend to get info. She doesn't mind but it's time i don't have right now. Im just hoping for goodnews anymore

Reactions: BigOHawk
So... Open competition, QB controversy? Nice to have some serviceable options it seems.

He was a little bit ago but now i don't know. Last week i was pretty sure we had rouse and teslaa but after i got the info about setting up a visit for Rouse i heard he was committing really soon. But now i have no clue anymore. I'm giving up on calling my friend to get info. She doesn't mind but it's time i don't have right now. Im just hoping for goodnews anymore
Smart

Has an nfl cannon! Left uw before all the turmoil when the true frosh got the back up reps. Raw but am unbelievable arm. IMO I dont think he,will be ready this year if mcnamara is hurt but huge potential. Uw fans bummed when he left
cannon arm doesn't impress any iowa fan. feet, twitchiness, inability to panic, recognizing uniforms— that’s where it’s at

Confirmed to be a scholarship player, interesting dynamic here with Budmayr, who, if you are into the tea leaves might just be getting a promotion? :)
Which means a coach will have to go since we'd be one over the limit.

Reactions: CaboKP
If anything, maybe this confirms Petras will not be putting on a helmet next year …

praise gospel GIF

From a Wiscy fan on another board about Hill:

"Big time cannon of an arm. Accuracy is horrible. You better hope he loses weight and keeps it off. This last spring he was close to 275lbs. Also was recruited by Jon Budmayr in his last season at Wisconsin. He was committed to Fordham via transfer portal until this week. Yeah he has a great arm. Even made dents in the Shell when they practiced indoors (80 yard field). His accuracy is left to be desired along with his weight gains.
Committed to Wisconsin as a 6'3" 230lb QB from Cali. Left Wisconsin to enter the transfer portal at 261lbs. All that weight is the not good weight too. He has alot of work to do, Just wanted to provide you guys in what you are getting as a QB. He did improve from Spring practice to fall camp on his weight from 275lbs down to 259lbs. Deacon Hill couldn't outrun a 320lb DT from New Mexico State. His weight issues were from last 9 ish months. That being said I thought he would have been amazing to stress a defense with his ability to throw it 70 yards down the field without having to step into it (this was from the public practice last spring). Admittedly I was definitely drunk on his arm talent...."

Gotta have some QBs for spring ball. It is needed for everyone, WRs need balls thrown to them, RBs need handoffs, Centers need someone to snap to. Need multiple QBs to run plays so everyone gets reps. This also provides depth in general for the fall.

I don't understand. What is wrong with Labas? I get the 4 QBs on a roster but something seems really fishy about this.
I don't think there's anything wrong with him. Going into spring, Iowa has 2 QB's who can actually play in the spring (Labas and now Hill). McNamara might or might not be ready for spring recovering from the knee.

There is a clear shot at winning the #2 job this spring and fall between Labas, Hill and Laniez. Labas was okay in the bowl game but certainly did not do enough to say he's #2.

Reactions: chuck285
I found this article tonight after playing 18 holes here on Oahu, Hawaii and shooting 79 even with a light rain on the front 9:
A former three-star prospect, Hill is reunited with former Wisconsin quarterbacks coach Jon Budmayr. Budmayr recruited Hill and is now an offensive analyst with the Hawkeyes.

The 6-foot-3 gunslinger has always been known for his big arm, and hopefully he can develop into a reliable Big Ten quarterback for Iowa.

Basically a one year rental, as are most players now in the transfer portal world.

From a Wiscy fan on another board about Hill:

"Big time cannon of an arm. Accuracy is horrible. You better hope he loses weight and keeps it off. This last spring he was close to 275lbs. Also was recruited by Jon Budmayr in his last season at Wisconsin. He was committed to Fordham via transfer portal until this week. Yeah he has a great arm. Even made dents in the Shell when they practiced indoors (80 yard field). His accuracy is left to be desired along with his weight gains.
Committed to Wisconsin as a 6'3" 230lb QB from Cali. Left Wisconsin to enter the transfer portal at 261lbs. All that weight is the not good weight too. He has alot of work to do, Just wanted to provide you guys in what you are getting as a QB. He did improve from Spring practice to fall camp on his weight from 275lbs down to 259lbs. Deacon Hill couldn't outrun a 320lb DT from New Mexico State. His weight issues were from last 9 ish months. That being said I thought he would have been amazing to stress a defense with his ability to throw it 70 yards down the field without having to step into it (this was from the public practice last spring). Admittedly I was definitely drunk on his arm talent...."

I mean I would think so. Iowa isn't going to bring Rouse in on a visit and offer him if there are not scholarships.
Yeah, I'm sure there is one for Rouse but how about Teslaa if by some miracle he wanted to come here, or the ot from Alabama that entered the portal not long ago? It would be nice to have a couple mote. Maybe we can nab a wr from Michigan. Who knows

Reactions: hawkhorn
No reason to count on him being a starter during his time at Iowa and seems like the upside is there. Maybe he’ll find a way to blossom and improve.

I don't understand. What is wrong with Labas? I get the 4 QBs on a roster but something seems really fishy about this.

Nothing wrong with Labas,.. We traditionally recruit a quarterback with each class, so this gets us back to (4).

Reactions: hawkhockey
If this was reaction to May leaving it's whatever. He looks like a big, slow inaccurate doof. I don't expect him to ever be a meaningful contributor. If May caught wind they were trying to bring him in and thus left then stupid on the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT