ADVERTISEMENT

Decorah trans athlete wants ‘to be part of the team,’ even if Iowa ban won’t let her play

She shouldn't get a pass because she is terrible. The rules need to apply to everyone or else we are now making a line as to who is to good too play with the girls.

There are several sports I would have played In high school I didn't have access to, sorry you don't have mens volleyball, try something else.
I think there is a sane middle ground somewhere between Lia Thomas and this kid.

I think there is a sane middle ground somewhere between Lia Thomas and this kid.
I think what Utah had proposed to do and set up a commission to review individual cases makes a lot of sense.

There is a huge difference between someone who is on puberty blockers and likely has no physical advantage and someone who went through puberty as a male and transitions post puberty after physically developing.

I think allowing Lia Thomas to compete as a woman is wrong and also think not allowing this girl who doesn’t appear to have any physical advantage over girls that age is also wrong.

Gavy is more courageous then all of her haters combined! She’s been playing with her teammates for 5 years or more and has been welcomed on the teams. It’s absolutely disgusting what our governor is doing. The same governor who was all about personal rights when it came to masks and vaccines is now being predictably hypocritical on the personal rights of transgender teens.
I have a couple questions for the transphobic posters on here.
Why does it matter so much to you people what another person chooses to do to their body?
How does this negatively impact anyone on this board?
WWJD?
Peace and love to all the haters!

I think what Utah had proposed to do and set up a commission to review individual cases makes a lot of sense.

There is a huge difference between someone who is on puberty blockers and likely has no physical advantage and someone who went through puberty as a male and transitions post puberty after physically developing.

I think allowing Lia Thomas to compete as a woman is wrong and also think not allowing this girl who doesn’t appear to have any physical advantage over girls that age is also wrong.
Great post.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Calling that person an athlete is a bit of a stretch. More accurate would be something like "athletics participant." Gavy should feel lucky that there isn't any competition to make any of those teams.

Gavy is more courageous then all of her haters combined! She’s been playing with her teammates for 5 years or more and has been welcomed on the teams. It’s absolutely disgusting what our governor is doing. The same governor who was all about personal rights when it came to masks and vaccines is now being predictably hypocritical on the personal rights of transgender teens.
Why does it matter so much to you people what another person chooses to do to their body?
It doesn't. We care about the nature of competition.

It's a board where people present opinions on different topics. That is what people are doing.

Love everyone, you can love everyone and love equal competition.

Reactions: Milt31
WWJD?
Everybody on this board has a future Olympian daughter that will never reach her dreams because of trans athletes. I mean don’t you get it? Soon there won’t be any male athletes left!! It’s just too easy to go through gender transformation simply to get better at sports.

I asked this in the Lia thread, but I didn't get a response. Maybe someone in this thread will be able to answer. What happens if an Iowa college or university has an athletic event against a team with a transgender player and the competition is in Iowa? Can the transgender player participate in Iowa or would that be a violation of the law?

Reactions: cigaretteman
This is your idea of logic and not emotion?
Is it because I used "tramp stamped"? Feel free to replace it with "beat with little or no effort from your opponent".

We as a society have way to many issues that should have been nipped in the bud long before they got to the point we are at but people are afraid to tell people no.

Reactions: SDHN2013
Is it because I used "tramp stamped"? Feel free to replace it with "beat with little or no effort from your opponent".

We as a society have way to many issues that should have been nipped in the bud long before they got to the point we are at but people are afraid to tell people no.
you are the one jumping others for using emotion rather than logic.

As far as the issue at hand, I think society would be different if there weren't so many people afraid of things that are new and different or that they don't understand. There is a legitimate argument regarding there being a level playing field in girls' sports and how and when transgendered youth should be allowed to participate. That question often gets buried by people making incredibly ignorant comments that show that they both don't know what they are talking about and are not willing to learn before jumping to a conclusion.

you are the one jumping others for using emotion rather than logic.
You might want to reread the timeline of events before accusing anyone of jumping the other person.

As far as the issue at hand, I think society would be different if there weren't so many people afraid of things that are new and different or that they don't understand. There is a legitimate argument regarding there being a level playing field in girls' sports and how and when transgendered youth should be allowed to participate. That question often gets buried by people making incredibly ignorant comments that show that they both don't know what they are talking about and are not willing to learn before jumping to a conclusion.
There are many things in this world that get immediately killed off due to fear. I'm a gun owner, I see people afraid of what I consider a tool all the time, because as you say, they are ignorant. This issue isn't going away and pacifying it isn't going to help. I don't think the female athletes that were pissed the swimmer took a spot were afraid. Again I will say, I was a male who did not have access to certain sports in high school I would have enjoyed. No one bent the rules for us, we just found another activity.

You might want to reread the timeline of events before accusing anyone of jumping the other person.

There are many things in this world that get immediately killed off due to fear. I'm a gun owner, I see people afraid of what I consider a tool all the time, because as you say, they are ignorant. This issue isn't going away and pacifying it isn't going to help. I don't think the female athletes that were pissed the swimmer took a spot were afraid. Again I will say, I was a male who did not have access to certain sports in high school I would have enjoyed. No one bent the rules for us, we just found another activity.
I'm curious how you would respond to someone that was supporting additional gun regulations. You can pick any regulation you like as an example. Or I'll throw out a regulation that limited the number of bullets allowed in a clip before having to stop and reload as a topic of discussion.

I'm curious how you would respond to someone that was supporting additional gun regulations. You can pick any regulation you like as an example. Or I'll throw out a regulation that limited the number of bullets allowed in a clip before having to stop and reload as a topic of discussion.
So for clarity, am I the one acting out of fear of the regulation or is the regulation of ignorance the person acting out of fear? Do you see how you are wanting people to educate themselves on transgender yet not educate themselves on firearm safety? You have expressed before you have responsible gun owners in your family. Guns don't fire themselves.

To answer your question I would gladly listen to factual data if it could be presented that showed high capacity magazines are less safe than a 20round mag. Currently I believe the data shows that 2-3% of all gun incidents involve high capacity magazines.

Last edited:
Does the article say anything about gender reassignment or hormone therapy? Maybe I missed that part.
That is a big part that no one wants to discuss or get into the details of. Not all Transgenders are the same. It ranges anywhere from a biological male that has gone through puberty, still has all male part and taken no hormone therapy and just identifies as a female to a biological male that never went through puberty, started hormone therapy before puberty and had gender reassignment surgery removing male parts and things in between.

Doesn't this matter in the discussion or is it too mean to collect this information from someone to know whether they can participate in a sport?

So for clarity, am I the one acting out of fear of the regulation or is the regulation of ignorance the person acting out of fear? Do you see how you are wanting people to educate themselves on transgender yet not educate themselves on firearm safety? You have expressed before you have responsible gun owners in your family. Guns don't fire themselves.

To answer your question I would gladly listen to factual data if it could be presented that showed high capacity magazines are less safe than a 20round mag. Currently I believe the data shows that 2-3% of all gun incidents involve high capacity magazines.
I was curious if your response would change if the subject changed to one more closely aligned with your personal beliefs. Thanks.

Why are we so concerned about “fairness of competition” for kids playing games organized by our school systems?

Our public schools should be chiefly concerned with fairness of access. It seems like if people want a “fair competition” as a top priority maybe they should start their own leagues. I don’t see how purity of competition really fits as a compelling or appropriate mission for our public education system.

Why are we so concerned about “fairness of competition” for kids playing games organized by our school systems?

Our public schools should be chiefly concerned with fairness of access. It seems like if people want a “fair competition” as a top priority maybe they should start their own leagues. I don’t see how purity of competition really fits as a compelling or appropriate mission for our public education system.
I love sports as evidenced by my presence on a sports message board, but I really don't think we should be looking at high school sports as the minor leagues for college, pro, and Olympic athletes. The goal of extra curricular activities at the high school level should be participation, experience, dedication, cooperation, and personal growth.

I have to figure that some of you had abusive childhoods- only reasonable explanation for how awful you all grew up to be.
Im sorry your parents didn’t love you.
Didn't grow up in Disneyland like yourself. We grew up castrating bulls and eating their nuts for dinner.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Fine, than ban those people. Gavy doesn't fall into that category. Way to move the goalposts though.
Did you even read what I was responding to?

"If you honestly believe that someone would go through gender reassignment simply so they could "beat up on women,"I'm afraid that there is no hope for you whatsoever."

For many athletes, school competition is their best chance at showing their skill set as they cannot pay the high cost of "travel" or "select" teams.

Last edited:
Didn't grow up in Disneyland like yourself. We grew up castrating bulls and eating their nuts for dinner.
Yeah, I didn't do that.
I grew up in Maryland, and Greece, and California, and Taiwan, and Utah, and DC and Texas as a military brat. The lesson I learned growing up like that is that not everyone looks like me or acts like me and it's ok. It's not scary and they're not bad because of it. Different is ok.
But hey, I'm sure the nuts tasted great.

For many athletes, school competition is there best chance as showing their skills etc as they cannot pay the high cost of "travel" or "select" teams.
I get that. My belief is that the relationship between public education and the culture of competitive sports is a problematic one, including, but also beyond the questions raised by the prospects of trans athlete participation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT