ADVERTISEMENT

Decorah trans athlete wants ‘to be part of the team,’ even if Iowa ban won’t let her play

Exactly so when a person was born a male and has undergone hormone treatment to equal that of a cis female, they're equal competition. Thanks for playing along.
You make it sound so simple and exact. If anyone is playing, perhaps it is you.

Yeah, that is at the crux of the debate, does a transgender female hold an advantage (in general) over a biological female.

In your final conclusion - despite noting it is anecdotal - you use the words "must be." I don't know the prevalence of "Gavys" vs "Lias" but am pretty sure you don't either. Also, a Gavy or a Lia taking the bottom spot on a team isn't going to make national news but is of consequence.
My conclusion was based on the fact that it's become a national issue so I assume there must be more than a handful of transgender females participating in women's sports. Personally I think it's rare, but based on the outrage it must be widespread. My views on the issue of transgender athletes taking the bottom spot is based on my Iowa experience. None of the high schools I've been associated with cut athletes from their teams. Everyone could participate, that may not be the case at bigger schools. Either way I think we need to look at the amount of harm done by both sides of the issue. Which group will suffer the most from laws like Iowa's?

You make it sound so simple and exact. If anyone is playing, perhaps it is you.

Exactly it's not simple and exact. It's not as black and white as boys play with boys and girls play with girls. There certainly some grey area. Thanks again for playing along

Reactions: hawkbirch
No. It makes her being able to compete against a different sex. In what I'm saying it would be like a freshman biological female competing against biological female seniors. The penn swimmer, should be competing against biological males.

But from a hormonal standpoint she's not competing against a different sex, she's the same as the other biological women she's competing against. Some she's better than, others she's not. Seems like she's right where she should be according to your logic (albeit mostly flawed)

My conclusion was based on the fact that it's become a national issue so I assume there must be more than a handful of transgender females participating in women's sports. Personally I think it's rare, but based on the outrage it must be widespread. My views on the issue of transgender athletes taking the bottom spot is based on my Iowa experience. None of the high schools I've been associated with cut athletes from their teams. Everyone could participate, that may not be the case at bigger schools. Either way I think we need to look at the amount of harm done by both sides of the issue. Which group will suffer the most from laws like Iowa's?
The trans students.

Exactly it's not simple and exact. It's not as black and white as boys play with boys and girls play with girls. There certainly some grey area. Thanks again for playing along
Sure, let's just do a Utah style commission. Talk about (for now) first-world problems.

That's just kicking the can down the street. Where is the handbook for deciding such things the commission will follow? You speak of hormonally trans athletes being the same but there is - as you know - far more to it than that.

Have the last word, I'm done for now.

That's pretty hypocritical of you. You know you're always on here about your wife's students and all the mental anguish they've endured. Only those kids count in your world?

That informs my opinion, and gives me insight that others might lack. But it does not affect whether I am right or wrong. Likewise, if a boy-turned-girl did it for reasons other than athletic advantage, it does not mean the advantage should no longer be a consideration.

That informs my opinion, and gives me insight that others might lack. But it does not affect whether I am right or wrong. Likewise, if a boy-turned-girl did it for reasons other than athletic advantage, it does not mean the advantage should no longer be a consideration.
If? You seriously think some boys are transitioning just so they can compete against girls?

The trans girl should be able to participate with her friends and peers on the girls team. To ostracize at the state government level is terrible.

But from a hormonal standpoint she's not competing against a different sex, she's the same as the other biological women she's competing against. Some she's better than, others she's not. Seems like she's right where she should be according to your logic (albeit mostly flawed)
From a physical standpoint, she is not.

You realize we are talking about something where we ban people for taking pills that make them recover faster right? Taking a steroid doesn't make you bigger, stronger, faster. It makes your body recover faster so you can breakdown muscle and rebuild faster. Any advantage in athletics is huge.

I don't know that they are transitioning to compete against girls but I can show you proof of men who have in the past claimed to be females to compete against females.
In high school, when fitting in with your peers is more important than anything else? I would like examples (proof) of men that claimed to females to compete against females. Do you have multiple links?

Reactions: hawkbirch
If? You seriously think some boys are transitioning just so they can compete against girls?
QPmeD7.gif

In high school, when fitting in with your peers is more important than anything else? I would like examples (proof) of men that claimed to females to compete against females. Do you have multiple links?
Do you want examples of men playing as females or do you want to switch it to high school?

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of a sport where this conversation would go the other way? Where being a biological female competing as a male would be advantageous?

QPmeD7.gif

Do you want examples of men playing as females or do you want to switch it to high school?
Well this thread is about a high school athlete, but If that's too difficult for you I will take examples of men living as women just so they can compete in women's athletics.

The trans girl should be able to participate with her friends and peers on the girls team. To ostracize at the state government level is terrible.
Never considered this idea about high school athletes having a need to fit in filled by participation.

Curious, does it have to be a trans girl? What if the starting center isn't well liked on the boys team? Can he enter the trans-fer portal, so to speak?

Whose job is it to verify that the athletes are participating in the sport as the gender they were assigned at birth?

Is there a process for making a complaint or an inquiry regarding a suspicious athlete?

Whose job is it to verify that the athletes are participating in the sport as the gender they were assigned at birth?

Is there a process for making a complaint or an inquiry regarding a suspicious athlete?
You would need to talk to an athletic director or coach. I'm sure there is a formal process.

Reactions: JMNSHO
You would need to talk to an athletic director or coach. I'm sure there is a formal process.
Every time I fear that my “government shouldn’t be administrating youth competitive sports leagues” spiel is just a tired schtick, I’m reminded of things like the fact that my local education-slated tax dollars are paying for a sports-league professional to ensure that none of the 15 year old girls playing volleyball down the way from my house ever, at any point, had a dick.

Every time I fear that my “government shouldn’t be administrating youth competitive sports leagues” spiel is just a tired schtick, I’m reminded of things like the fact that my local education-slated tax dollars are paying for a sports-league professional to ensure that none of the 15 year old girls playing volleyball down the way from my house ever, at any point, had a dick.
What if they had a dick right now?

enfP9Fw.png

It's unfortunate you think so little of biological females having a level playing field for competition.

It's unfortunate you think so little of biological females having a level playing field for competition.
That gives me a bit of pause. But. I have a lot of responsibility in my life, and a lot of things I have to take very seriously. I think when it comes to discussing very contentious things that are outside my realm of responsibility and in which I have very little at stake personally; sometimes I relish exercising a potentially irresponsible point of view—especially if I think it has some merit.

Exactly so when a person was born a male and has undergone hormone treatment to equal that of a cis female, they're equal competition. Thanks for playing along.
  • In the 500 freestyle, Thomas’ time of 4:33.24 from her NCAA-title swimhanded her the fastest time in the nation by more than a second over Arizona State’s Emma Nordin (4:34.87). Additionally, Thomas’ difference from her personal best with the Penn men’s program was just 6%, as opposed to the typical 10% to 11% difference generally seen between men and women.
  • Thomas’ best time in the 200 freestyle ended up being her 1:41.93 mark from the Zippy Invitational in December. That effort ultimately ended up 3.76% slower than her best time before her transition. Again, that time was between 7% and 8% faster than the typical separation between men and women.
  • When Thomas won the 200 freestyle at the Ivy League Champs in 1:43.12, she was even with runnerup Samantha Shelton at the midway point, but crushed the Harvard swimmer over the last 100, highlighted by a 25.04 split for the last 50 yards. The closing split of Thomas was faster than the finishing laps of Missy Franklin in her American-record performance, and the best closing effort of the likes of Katie Ledecky, Mallory Comerford and Siobhan Haughey, among others.
  • In the 100 freestyle, Thomas’ best time prior to her transition was 47.15. At the NCAA Championships, she posted a prelims time in the event of 47.37. That time reflects minimal mitigation.
  • During the last season Thomas competed as a member of the Penn men’s team, which was 2018-19, she ranked 554th in the 200 freestyle, 65th in the 500 freestyle and 32nd in the 1650 freestyle. As her career at Penn wrapped, she moved to fifth, first and eighth in those respective events on the women’s deck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT