ADVERTISEMENT

DEFENSE Developments in IU game, Who Starts Moving Forward (Riley or Hankins, etc) & INJURY Updates

McSourly CAN run the ball. McSourly doesn't WANT to run the ball every play and take hits all game. Make him do what he doesn't want to do.

So you're saying they need to stop their WHOLE offense.
That's not they way game planning goes, especially at Iowa. They'll try to take away ONE facet, and contain the rest.
I'm pretty sure they'll plan this game like they did OSU and Braxton last year. Take away the RB in zone read and make McSourly carry the ball and pound him over and over. Do no let McSorly stand in the pocket. They will flush him and chase him down and hit him some more. I don't think he'll be able to hit the long passes he did against Mich. St.
Not even close to what I said.

I think we can agree on the Primary priority is to stop Sanders & McSorley as rushers (their two leading rushers accounting for an average over 200 yards per game). Naturally, that makes McSorley have to beat us with his arm or his scramble. I don't see huge shift in Parker's scheme..no emphasis on the bitz or over-commit 8 in the box. I see more of a typical base defense Parker is famous for and that has served us well this year.

But now that you say it, why on earth would you have a game plan that did not have an answer for all their key strengths match-ups? Taking away one thing and "hoping" they cannot execute their Plan B or C options doesn't seam like much of game plan?

And, Parker can emphasis run support, speed in the back 4 or 5 with personnel changes without changing up his base schemes that much. Now is not the time to put in a whole new defense just because PSU is next on our schedule.

Last edited:
Stopping McSorley and Sanders is the Primary priority; Containing McSorley when scrambling at 2nd; stopping the Pass 3rd. This smells to me like run support corners, and overall, better tackling DB personnel at safeties and corner if not hybrid LB. I actually think use of Gervase, Stone and Hooker in the line-up and how they are deployed will have more to say about the outcome then our corner play.

Assuming all corners were equally healthy I go with Hankins and Ojemudia as my starters, Brents as next corner in maybe even as a "Big Nickle", and Riley to spell Michael as needed with duty as "Small Nickle" coverage when PSU goes to empty backfield attack.

I say this of course with not having seen them practice this week,how well each has practiced and not truly understanding Hankins health or Ojemudia's hammie/rustiness. Those showing the best disciplined pursuit angles and most sure handed tackling win out.
While I agree that Iowa will likely "mostly" go base on D ... with the intent on containing PSU's potent rushing attack ... the Hawks are still not going to be willing to let themselves get beaten deep either.

Given this consideration ... I don't think that OJ pushes past Moss. I think that OJ will remain one of our top guys coming in during nickel or dime packages .... but I think that Moss remains the starter.

Given that Hankins will still need to shake off the rust ... even if he's available to go ... I doubt that he's current a better option to usurp Brents.

I do see Phil using some different personnel packages ... but that will all be dependent on what we see from the opponent AND based on down and distance.

Reactions: BCRoss89
Not even close to what I said.

I think we can agree on the Primary priority is to stop Sanders & McSorley as rushers (their two leading rushers accounting for an average over 200 yards per game). Naturally, that makes McSorley have to beat us with his arm or his scramble. I don't see huge shift in Parker's scheme..no emphasis on the bitz or over-commit 8 in the box. I see more of a typical base defense Parker is famous for and that has served us well this year.

But now that you say it, why on earth would you have a game plan that did not have an answer for all their key strengths match-ups? Taking away one thing and "hoping" they cannot execute their Plan B or C options doesn't seam like much of game plan?

And, Parker can emphasis run support, speed in the back 4 or 5 with personnel changes without changing up his base schemes that much. Now is not the time to put in a whole new defense just because PSU is next on our schedule.
If you try to 'answer' everything, you'll do nothing well.
Last year against OSU, on zone read, the DE is not blocked and they just had him flash right to the RB forcing Braxton to run. He got some yards, but we beat on him and frustrated him and their RB's were held in check. I believe that is what they'll do again. Then just play sound team, read, football and keep everything in front and rally to it, which this team has excelled at.
Like I keep saying, McSourly CAN run the ball, but he doesn't WANT to run the ball every play. Their HC and OC don't want him running the ball every play either. I'm glad we have almost everyone back on D now, gives us quality depth at every position.

Sorry, I keep referring to Barrett as Braxton.
81KEAg8UrxL._SX425_.jpg

I am totally against that, Cheerscoach. I say our DE that is unblocked hits McSorley every single RPO. Hit him over and over. It is the LB and safeties job to come up and get the RB.

I also disagree on allowing him out of the pocket. I say you keep him in that pocket and squeeze in on him. If we can’t get to him, everybody goes up for a volleyball block when he releases the pass. We had about 6 knockdown passes on defense last year.

Allowing McSorley out of the pocket is a surefire first down. Based on the weather and PSU WR propensity to drop passes (and our giant DL ability to make McSorley change trajectory on his throws) I Like our chances better with keeping him in a pocket that gets increasingly claustrophobic.

Since it has been reported that Hankins has a bad hamstring, a rainy and cold day could limit his effectiveness based on where he is at in the healing process. Looking for and need a huge game from the DL by pressuring with 4.

Since it has been reported that Hankins has a bad hamstring, a rainy and cold day could limit his effectiveness based on where he is at in the healing process. Looking for and need a huge game from the DL by pressuring with 4.
Makes you appreciate how we've managed to develop some depth in the secondary (among other places) through the season .... because we'll totally need it!

I am totally against that, Cheerscoach. I say our DE that is unblocked hits McSorley every single RPO. Hit him over and over. It is the LB and safeties job to come up and get the RB.

I also disagree on allowing him out of the pocket. I say you keep him in that pocket and squeeze in on him. If we can’t get to him, everybody goes up for a volleyball block when he releases the pass. We had about 6 knockdown passes on defense last year.

Allowing McSorley out of the pocket is a surefire first down. Based on the weather and PSU WR propensity to drop passes (and our giant DL ability to make McSorley change trajectory on his throws) I Like our chances better with keeping him in a pocket that gets increasingly claustrophobic.
I'm inclined to agree ... take away the run ... but make sure that McSorley doesn't WANT to run. Keep him in the pocket ... because our secondary will be working hard to make sure that PSU's speed doesn't get behind them ... thus, with their backs to the ball ... a scrambling McSorley truly is an instant first down!

Force PSU to try to dink and dunk the Hawks to death .... but, in the process, their receiving targets will likely drop some balls AND McSorley, when stuck in the pocket, will likely throw some balls that can get batted down. While it's less glamorous ... those plays still get the opposing O caught behind the chains. If we get them caught behind the chains ... then we're more likely to catch them in 3rd and longs ... and that is where Anthony and AJ can release a little mayhem!

Furthermore, if PSU truly is stuck dinking and dunking against the Hawks ... McSorley is likely to get impatient ... and press things. As an earlier poster rightly noted ... the Hawkeye D is the wrong D to press against ... it will most likely lead to no-gains or turnovers!

On top of the above ... Ferentz and Co understand how explosive PSU's O can be ... so I'd expect the Hawk O to be willing to go in "grind-mode" ... and try to play keep-away from the PSU O. If the O can do that ... obviously, it won't only limit PSU's number of possessions ... but it will also help keep the D fresh. And obviously, a fresh D tends to be a more productive one!

Well, I'm glad you're not an Iowa coach then. :) Their RB is way faster than McSorley.
And McSorley destroys teams when he gets to stand in the pocket. Most good QB's do. We'll see.

McSourly CAN run the ball. McSourly doesn't WANT to run the ball every play and take hits all game. Make him do what he doesn't want to do.
man i just hope we can contain him AND sack him this time around

it will be interesting to see if we have someone key on him all game long

man i just hope we can contain him AND sack him this time around

it will be interesting to see if we have someone key on him all game long
Um, we held him to 61 yds. on 17 carries for a 3.6 avg. and sacked him 4 times.
It was Barkley that killed us with 211 yds. rushing and 12 receptions, many of those for 1st downs.

Well, so much for Hankins getting his starting job back any time soon.

Do you think we see him on the field again this season?

I believe he could redshirt since he has only appeared in 3 games?

Reactions: cheerscoach
Will Hankins start this Saturday? Or see some snaps?

Start at bottom and work your way up.

1. Chad Leistikow‏Verified account@ChadLeistikow 2h2 hours ago

Chad Leistikow Retweeted MarkEmmert

Very interested to see how Iowa handles its CBs this week. Kirk Ferentz played it pretty close to the vest in Tuesday presser.

Chad Leistikow added,

MarkEmmertVerified account@MarkEmmert
    ‘Last week wasn’t their best week, but a lot of guys didn’t have a good game.’ Young Iowa cornerback unit is set to get Matt Hankins back for Northwestern matchup. That could be perfect timing: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...arker-hesse-northwestern-football/1904540002/…
    1 reply0 retweets1 like

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT