ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Line Previews of the Big

Casey Rogers of Nebraska transferred over a month ago.
Writer needs an editor.
The article is dated 4/26 and Rogers announced his transfer on 4/20. Never hurts to do a final fact check before publishing. Spring rankings are inherently speculative, especially in the era of the no-penalty transfer rule. Nebraska, for example, picked up two quality D-Line transfers this month which probably moved them higher up the list.

Iowa's 2022 DL is an interesting group ... I don't see anybody truly yet emerging as a "superstar" ... but there are a bunch of guys who I think the Hawks can count on for truly high-level play. I think that the depth that the group possesses ... along with the versatility that Coach Bell has engendered from within the group ... will likely allow for the group to be one of the best in the B1G in '22.

Noah Shannon has been really fun to watch develop. He demonstrated some fun flashes when he was young ... clearly had a nose for the ball. However, there were just issues of consistency that he had to improve upon. Last season was fun watching him really start to come into his own. As a SR leader - I'm thinking that he'll be capable of even more strides!

The unspoken question is this; Are the guys who are primarily driven by NIL the kind you want in your locker room? Are they too "ME" oriented? Will they make the team better? It'll be interesting to watch over the next few years.

The unspoken question is this; Are the guys who are primarily driven by NIL the kind you want in your locker room? Are they too "ME" oriented? Will they make the team better? It'll be interesting to watch over the next few years.
Agree. Guys who think it's always their turn to get upfield and "make plays" rather than taking on blocks and maintaining gap discipline will cost you ballgames. Just do your job well every snap, and you will make the play when it's your turn to make the play.

As I recall, Jaquez Yant was a "walk-on" who was lured in by some monies too.

I'm wondering if part of the problem that we're seeing with the Husker program is that boosters have run amok for too long and contribute to the culture of entitlement in that program.

If memory serves, there was some drama surrounding Yant in the Ohio State game last season. Maybe some "proof in the pudding" that some of these "me" oriented players aren't helping the locker-room or the team culture.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
As I recall, Jaquez Yant was a "walk-on" who was lured in by some monies too.

I'm wondering if part of the problem that we're seeing with the Husker program is that boosters have run amok for too long and contribute to the culture of entitlement in that program.

If memory serves, there was some drama surrounding Yant in the Ohio State game last season. Maybe some "proof in the pudding" that some of these "me" oriented players aren't helping the locker-room or the team culture.
In short is the kind of guy that can be "bought", a guy you want to go into business with. More often than not....No.

You do have to wonder how the money is going to impact some of these guys.

If you are a adult busting your ass every day at your job to get better, make the company better, etc. but then you win the lottery. Not necessarily millions (so you can quit) but still a very big payday. Are you going to have the same attitude at work?

When you're brain says "you've made it", will your heart still drive you enough to continue to improve?

With all the extra guidance NFL guys have available, we still see young guys mess up when they have money they don’t know how to handle. I foresee an even bigger risk for basically high school kids with 6 figures in their pockets.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Agree with you all here. Discipline, team unity, and NFL preparation is something Iowa is very good at. NIL will not harm Iowa as much as it will other teams who lack or are not proficient in those 3 areas.

You do have to wonder how the money is going to impact some of these guys.

If you are a adult busting your ass every day at your job to get better, make the company better, etc. but then you win the lottery. Not necessarily millions (so you can quit) but still a very big payday. Are you going to have the same attitude at work?

When you're brain says "you've made it", will your heart still drive you enough to continue to improve?
Then the flip side. If you’ve been busting your ass in a Husker uniform and all of a sudden here comes a transfer making half a million; what does that do for your psyche? Team unity, etc.?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Reading that article I come away thinking the B1G isn't especially good at DL. Of course, that might just be the writing (Lee Logan).
Pretty sad and I have been noticing this more than often and one article they had the Iowa cyclones … I mean come on that’s common names and how disgusting to have Iowa to do with anything of ISU…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT