ADVERTISEMENT

Define a "breakout" year and who can have one?

hawksense

HR MVP
Jan 16, 2002
Can Luka Garza have a breakout year without ever playing, or any freshman for that matter?

What would a breakout year look like for a Cordell Pemsl?

Or for Isaiah Moss?

After Jordy's year last year, what would qualify as a breakout year this year?

Is Baer even capable of a breakout year? Nothing he does anymore surprises me, but he can certainly be better.

Will Cook break a backboard and reign terror over the league?

All of your valuable input is appreciated.

And, expanding a bit, do players who we expect little from get breakout points for simply being more proficient? E.g., Uhl, Williams, Ellingson, Wags. I love these guys and am not slamming them. They are what they are, IMO.

Can Luka Garza have a breakout year without ever playing, or any freshman for that matter?

What would a breakout year look like for a Cordell Pemsl?

Or for Isaiah Moss?

After Jordy's year last year, what would qualify as a breakout year this year?

Is Baer even capable of a breakout year? Nothing he does anymore surprises me, but he can certainly be better.

Will Cook break a backboard and reign terror over the league?

All of your valuable input is appreciated.
"Breakout year" is subjective- not objectively defined. But basically it means significantly improving- taking more team responsibility for which the potential is shown.

Cook is expected to improve significantly in his consistency. But that is hoped to mean in rebounding and midrange shooting as well.

Moss is going to have the opportunity to replace Jok as the primary backcourt scorer and primary perimeter defender.

Garza could "break out" too as that means fulfilling potential as well. He's certainly in the position to do that. Iowa needs his talents under the hoop; primarily defensively/rebounding, but the offense certainly couldn't hurt.

JB is hoped to have a "breakout year" as a playmaker without a senior to lean on in the backcourt.

CW could have a breakout year as a backup PG/defender.

Baer could have a breakout year as a starter.

Reactions: nu2u
JBo was so good as a freshman it's hard to believe he could have a breakout year. That said if his defense is improved and his ability to drive, dish, and score is stepped up he's going to be one of the best guards in the Big 10.

I also can't wait to see a healthy Cordell Pemsl. We might think he's having a breakout year when in fact it's just a chance to play when he's healthy.

If Cordell added an outside shot and makes a good percentage of his free throws he will be outstanding.

I think we'll see more of a breakout team. No one guy will shine every single game.

But if one wants to look for improvement the sophs are in the best position to show it.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think you can only have one "breakout" year. Once you have broken out, you can't breakout again. JBo and Cook have already had breakout years. Baer has broken out as well. Everyone else can have a "breakout" season. This includes Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Uhl, Ellingson, Wagner, Kriener, Williams, Moss and anyone else on the team that I haven't mentioned.

I am addicted.........I did watch the football game but I have to check this board because...... I have to
I was always more of a Hawkfb fan than Hawkbb fan until the last few bowl blowouts. Basketball team has a better chance to get the kind of kids you need to compete nationally now. When Cook committed we turned a corner. Then we got Garza who's offer sheet told you everything. Nunge and realizing how good our coaches two sons could be and im fully obsessed. I was 6,7 and 8 years old during the first 3 Davis seasons and had not started my fan career yet. Missed 80's Hawkfb which Ferentz basically matched. Sneak into march madness win one maybe two if your real lucky is the best iv'e seen from BB team. Just havent had the horses until now. I had really high hopes for 92-93 until Street died and 95-96 but Kingsbury not staying dedicated along with the Settles injury ruined that. But those two teams were still athletically limited as opposed to 86-87 which had the skill and athleticism to go with it. Barring injury or transfers things look good. All of Alfords teams and a number of Davis teams didnt have the bench you need for a deep tourney run or league title. Ideally I would like to see a 10 or max 11 man rotation. I respect and thank Dom and Ahmad for everything they have done for us but if Dailey transfers because those guys get his minutes i'll be pissed. If you want to have Wisconsin like success you cant please everybody.

I was always more of a Hawkfb fan than Hawkbb fan until the last few bowl blowouts. Basketball team has a better chance to get the kind of kids you need to compete nationally now. When Cook committed we turned a corner. Then we got Garza who's offer sheet told you everything. Nunge and realizing how good our coaches two sons could be and im fully obsessed. I was 6,7 and 8 years old during the first 3 Davis seasons and had not started my fan career yet. Missed 80's Hawkfb which Ferentz basically matched. Sneak into march madness win one maybe two if your real lucky is the best iv'e seen from BB team. Just havent had the horses until now. I had really high hopes for 92-93 until Street died and 95-96 but Kingsbury not staying dedicated along with the Settles injury ruined that. But those two teams were still athletically limited as opposed to 86-87 which had the skill and athleticism to go with it. Barring injury or transfers things look good. All of Alfords teams and a number of Davis teams didnt have the bench you need for a deep tourney run or league title. Ideally I would like to see a 10 or max 11 man rotation. I respect and thank Dom and Ahmad for everything they have done for us but if Dailey transfers because those guys get his minutes i'll be pissed. If you want to have Wisconsin like success you cant please everybody.

I started following Iowa FB in the mid 70s and Iowa basketball (not as closely) in the late 70s. Then the 1980 Final Four run under Lute and I was hooked. I played FB in HS and I wrestled some, but basketball has had it's hooks in me since that 1980 FF run. I remember Lute's teams competing with the Blue Bloods of Indiana and Georgetown and then the recruiting of Raveling....I got hooked on recruiting. Dr. Tom's first year and some of his subsequent years we could compete with anybody.

So, when it comes to being a top 25 team or better, and NCAA runs, I usually feel like we aren't that far away. We don't have to have a roster loaded with McDs All American's, we just need a few talented guys with a strong group of roll players. TEAM defense, good rebounding and FT shooting, and the right elements on offense and we can contend. The exciting part is that I think that we are very, very close. We could make a strong push this year (for a very high finish in the conference).....if not, I think the following year we will barring significant injuries and issues. In my opinion, when you are at or near the top of the B10, you are a top 15 team nationally and maybe better than that.

I don't want the FB season to be done, but damn I can't wait for the season. In addition to the talent of this team, the early season schedule is loaded with exciting games due to the two B10 teams in December.

Reactions: DanL53
Ellingson and/or Moss are best positioned for a breakout season IMO. Neither has reached full potential for scoring, both have been with the program for two or more years and have gained valuable game experience, both are predicted to play significant minutes with Jok gone, and they are at a position where scoring is expected. I would add Dailey as a dark horse.

Ellingson and/or Moss are best positioned for a breakout season IMO. Neither has reached full potential for scoring, both have been with the program for two or more years and have gained valuable game experience, both are predicted to play significant minutes with Jok gone, and they are at a position where scoring is expected. I would add Dailey as a dark horse.
Agree that Moss and Ellingson are set to excel, but particularly Moss. Also Garza and Kriener, at a position of need, will have every opportunity to make an impact.

JBo was so good as a freshman it's hard to believe he could have a breakout year. That said if his defense is improved and his ability to drive, dish, and score is stepped up he's going to be one of the best guards in the Big 10.

To me JoBo having a breakout year would be putting up similar numbers to last year BUT also hitting more big shots to close out games. So, to me, he doesn't need his numbers to improve all that much but rather be a guy that delivers more in the clutch bc, if we are being honest, he is going to be asked to hit more of those clutch shots this season.

To me JoBo having a breakout year would be putting up similar numbers to last year BUT also hitting more big shots to close out games. So, to me, he doesn't need his numbers to improve all that much but rather be a guy that delivers more in the clutch bc, if we are being honest, he is going to be asked to hit more of those clutch shots this season.

I actually thought he was really good at crunch time....hard to believe he could be better.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT