ADVERTISEMENT

Demand for electric pickup trucks . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Is so high, Ford has doubled production:

Ford Shares Hit Two-Decade High on Raised Plans for F-150 Electric Pickup​

Auto maker says it is doubling its production goal, now targeting 150,000 a year, amid high demand for the model​

im-461477

Ford has said the F-150 Lightning will have a starting price of $39,974 before potential tax credits.​

Matt Grossman Follow

Updated Jan. 4, 2022 4:24 pm ET

Ford Motor Co. F 0.99% doubled its goal for manufacturing the new electric version of the F-150 pickup truck, the auto maker said Tuesday, sending its stock price to levels not seen in more than two decades.

Ford said it now aims to produce 150,000 a year, citing high demand for the model. About 200,000 reservations have been placed for the opportunity to order one of the trucks, the company has said. The first group of reservation holders will be able to place orders for the electric F-150 beginning Thursday, Ford said.
Shares of Ford rose nearly 12% Tuesday to $24.31, its highest close since 2001. The stock, which has nearly tripled over the past 52 weeks, was the best performer in the S&P 500.
The company has said the F-150 Lightning will have a starting price of $39,974 before potential tax credits. Production of the electric pickup is expected to begin this spring.

The F-150 truck is Ford’s top-selling vehicle and one of its most profitable. Ford plans to report its 2021 sales results on Wednesday.
Other auto makers reported their sales figures Tuesday, and Toyota Motor Corp. overtook General Motors Co. as the U.S.’s top-selling car company by annual sales.
The electric F-150 is among several electric-pickup models expected to come out this year. The pickup-truck category looms as an important area of contention as auto makers race to develop electric vehicles, prodded by tightening environmental regulations and Tesla Inc.’s rapid rise.

Rivian Automotive Inc., a startup based in Irvine, Calif., that has seen its valuation soar since its IPO in November, until recently has had the market to itself with its fully electric pickup truck, the R1T, which went on sale in the fall. General Motors Co. last month began deliveries of its GMC Hummer pickup.
On Wednesday, GM is scheduled to reveal an electric version of its Chevrolet Silverado, its top-selling vehicle in North America, during a virtual keynote address by Chief Executive Mary Barra at CES, a big consumer-electronics convention.

The model is expected to compete with the F-150 Lightning when it goes on sale, scheduled for 2023.

What is the range of a fully-loaded F-150 electric pickup?

I had heard that this was an issue.

I suppose if you are just driving one because you are a "pickup lady/guy" it would not matter, as you would be empty most of the time.
Ford claims that the F-150 Lightning will offer up to 300 miles of range with the Extended Range battery and 230 miles on the Standard Range pack. Additionally, a post on the F-150 Gen 14 forum found that a stakeholder's livestream allegedly stated that certain Platinum model trucks would offer 280 miles of range.

I suppose if you are just driving one because you are a "pickup lady/guy" it would not matter, as you would be empty most of the time.
Yes. ^^ What about towing capacity, etc?

If this is an "around town" electric truck, OK, fine. If one is really using such a vehicle to perform "work", then I am very curious how sturdy these trucks can be. (As a business owner, I own about 30 vehicles and I need reliability and function.)

Yes. ^^ What about towing capacity, etc?

If this is an "around town" electric truck, OK, fine. If one is really using such a vehicle to perform "work", then I am very curious how sturdy these trucks can be. (As a business owner, I own about 30 vehicles and I need reliability and function.)
In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles.

230 miles according to and article I read. It's a nice looking truck; but too small for my needs. It's max towing 10K pounds and that's the dry weight of my camper. Might make a decent second vehicle for the wife(no pics) to drive.

In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles.

I need to start paying closer attention to this to be sure...but even without towing anything, our trucks, and vans, are carrying enough tools, equipment and supplies commonly that the range limitations all by themselves would tell me that these vehicles are not yet a viable candidate to replace real work trucks...at this time.

But...around town, light duty, delivery type applications...I could see it. The last phone call though that I would appreciate receiving at the end of the day is from an employee 70 miles away from the shop with a truck they can't start/run asking me, "What do you want me to do?".

I need to start paying closer attention to this to be sure...but even without towing anything, our trucks, and vans, are carrying enough tools, equipment and supplies commonly that the range limitations all by themselves would tell me that these vehicles are not yet a viable candidate to replace real work trucks...at this time.

But...around town, light duty, delivery type applications...I could see it. The last phone call though that I would appreciate receiving at the end of the day is from an employee 70 miles away from the shop with a truck they can't start/run asking me, "What do you want me to do?".
Yeah, at this point, I think the target market is primarily suburban homeowners. Great vehicle for commuting and light duty work (picking up crap at Lowes/Menards, maybe some firewood, hauling a lawnmower or snowblower, going skiing, etc.) but not so much for heavy fleet use.

Of course, that suburban homeowner market is HUGE -- hence the demand and boost in production.

I hope they have a supplier lined up to provide the chips they need. Toyota has done a better job at stockpiling the chips they will need than what remains of the Big 3. Electrics need more chips.

I thought about putting in an order for one. Obviously, being all electric with insane power is exciting. It has all the utility I’ll ever need. And the aluminum construction is pretty nice living in the rust belt. It’s all win.

Reactions: torbee
I thought about putting in an order for one. Obviously, being all electric with insane power is exciting. It has all the utility I’ll ever need. And the aluminum construction is pretty nice living in the rust belt. It’s all win.
Except for the 18-month or longer wait to get one.

My buddy ordered one three months ago and was told 2023 is most likely delivery date.

Reactions: Hammer93
Saw that some people were annoyed now that they’ve opened up actual ordering because in order to get the extended battery range ($10,000 more), you have to also upgrade to a higher level interior I think package, which is another $9,500. So effectively $20K more to get the battery around 300 miles of range, which puts the price into the $70s for that truck type.

I’m not a truck guy so don’t know how that compares to gas versions. I hope they sell the hell out of them though.

I would heavily consider if the battery distance was better. I'll have wait for that improvement first. Not opposed to electric, I guess. I would need to do pretty good research to make sure it wouldn't leave me stranded somewhere.

Saw that some people were annoyed now that they’ve opened up actual ordering because in order to get the extended battery range ($10,000 more), you have to also upgrade to a higher level interior I think package, which is another $9,500. So effectively $20K more to get the battery around 300 miles of range, which puts the price into the $70s for that truck type.

I’m not a truck guy so don’t know how that compares to gas versions. I hope they sell the hell out of them though.
That would put me out of buying that truck.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Chevy just announced their 1500 today. Looks to have a more ground-up design compared to the Ford, which looks about the same as the gas powered version. Chevy also advertised 400 mile range. Reports from some who have driven the Ford is that the 300 mile range is probably conservative. If you consider the gas mileage loss from towing, the range effect will be similar. Either way, this certainly isn't going to be a go-to vehicle for towing significant weight long distances. Chevy does have a 20,000 lb towing capacity HD version coming later this year. The Chevy has 4 wheel steering, more autonomous driving features, some pretty cool stuff.

Toyota has indicated that they are not actively pursuing EV technology. I wouldn't expect to see anything from Toyota for a long while.

Range, even more so than gas power, is influenced by speed and atmospheric conditions (such as a headwind) along with driving style. That's what I have heard from my 2 friends that have Teslas. They always bitch when it's really windy about their vehicles range.

I think we're on the cusp of EV being the default choice - both consumer, govt and industry (limited CE investment) driven. I'm looking forward to buying a EV truck but some things I'm considering:
- really like that the engine bay is now a trunk - more storage for gear you don't want exposed to the elements
- Environmental concerns over battery mining and pollution - interested in the ability to recycle batteries (this would be huge from my perspective)
- Range especially with towing applications
- charging times and need to get a full charge down to about equivalent of filling up a tank of gas (sounds like they're making progress here)
- battery drain - I don't know much but heard this was a concern - e.g. go on a business trip and if you don't have the car plugged in you come back with the battery completely or significantly depleted (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Seems like the EV will be more reliable and longer life than CEVs and will also help with longer term transition to driverless/automated driving (IMO the holy grail).

Reactions: B1GDeal and torbee
Range, even more so than gas power, is influenced by speed and atmospheric conditions (such as a headwind) along with driving style. That's what I have heard from my 2 friends that have Teslas. They always bitch when it's really windy about their vehicles range.
This is definitely true. Drag and added rolling friction due to downforce is more effective on range. The Chevy video talks about how their new body design moves air around the sides of the vehicle to minimize downforce and friction generated by air going over the top. The biggest effect on mileage is driving style. Keep your foot out of the accelerator and maximize the regenerative braking and you'll be much better off.

Chevy just announced their 1500 today. Looks to have a more ground-up design compared to the Ford, which looks about the same as the gas powered version. Chevy also advertised 400 mile range. Reports from some who have driven the Ford is that the 300 mile range is probably conservative. If you consider the gas mileage loss from towing, the range effect will be similar. Either way, this certainly isn't going to be a go-to vehicle for towing significant weight long distances. Chevy does have a 20,000 lb towing capacity HD version coming later this year. The Chevy has 4 wheel steering, more autonomous driving features, some pretty cool stuff.

Toyota has indicated that they are not actively pursuing EV technology. I wouldn't expect to see anything from Toyota for a long while.

From 40k to 105k. Helluva upgrade for leather seats.

106996943-1641389597807SilveradoEV_RST_Interior_1.jpg

Ford claims that the F-150 Lightning will offer up to 300 miles of range with the Extended Range battery and 230 miles on the Standard Range pack. Additionally, a post on the F-150 Gen 14 forum found that a stakeholder's livestream allegedly stated that certain Platinum model trucks would offer 280 miles of range.

Most guys doing contract jobs aren't driving 200-300 miles a day.
And a truck that requires almost zero maintenance and costs the equivalent of $0.25/gallon to drive around is pretty damn appealing to them, as well.

Don't worry.....they'll soon be offering trailers w/ onboard battery packs included that will offer further extended range for electrics.

And a truck that requires almost zero maintenance and costs the equivalent of $0.25/gallon to drive around is pretty damn appealing to them, as well.
Even if they do run up miles, any restauranteur with sense will install charging pods in their parking lot. You can lock those guys into a 45 minute to an hour lunch at your place.

Rivian has a large factory in Normal, Illinois. A friend
of mine works there and says they have produced
the new battery powered pickup truck, an SUV and
a delivery van for Amazon.

I just got a new truck last year, but for sure when it comes time in a few years I’ll be looking to upgrade to a lightning, Rivian or all electric Toyota/Honda. The Lightning looks awesome.

Rivian has a large factory in Normal, Illinois. A friend
of mine works there and says they have produced
the new battery powered pickup truck, an SUV and
a delivery van for Amazon.
An "around town" delivery van application seems like it could really work. Relatively light weights, modest range...I could see that being very common.

Heavy duty, construction, etc...I am not seeing electric vehicles being really viable there for awhile yet.

Well, now load those vehicles down with weight, maybe put a trailer behind them and then send them off into the wind and tell me how it would work. Plenty of contractors have employees that travel that far, or COULD, on any given day.

Zero maintenance?? Are you suggesting that the batteries would last indefinitely and/or be free when it is time for a new one(s)?

I just got a new truck last year, but for sure when it comes time in a few years I’ll be looking to upgrade to a lightning, Rivian or all electric Toyota/Honda. The Lightning looks awesome.
Check out the Chevy video they released today. It's pretty cool. Gives the Ford a run for the money. The Rivian seems more like an off-road specialty vehicle.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Check out the Chevy video they released today. It's pretty cool. Gives the Ford a run for the money. The Rivian seems more like an off-road specialty vehicle.
At least Chevy built it from the ground up. Makes more sense. Looks cool though.

I am still keeping my R1S order.

Zero maintenance?? Are you suggesting that the batteries would last indefinitely and/or be free when it is time for a new one(s)?

Compared to the regular maintenance on a gas or diesel vehicle?

Yes. Zero maintenance. No oil changes. No tune-ups. No air/fuel filters. No transmission. No radiator fluid.

A VERY small fraction of the maintenance cost of liquid fuel powered vehicles.

Well, now load those vehicles down with weight, maybe put a trailer behind them

Even a landscaping company using an electric vehicle isn't driving 100 miles a day for jobs. They make money doing actual work, not driving across the state for single site work.

Well, now load those vehicles down with weight, maybe put a trailer behind them and then send them off into the wind and tell me how it would work. Plenty of contractors have employees that travel that far, or COULD, on any given day.

Limited brake replacement
No alternator
No water pump
No serpentine belt replacement

Reactions: Joes Place
Even a landscaping company using an electric vehicle isn't driving 100 miles a day for jobs. They make money doing actual work, not driving across the state for single site work.
Well I know you are never wrong...but I could show you odometers that belie your statement here. LOLOLOL. I have got one guy that drives 60+ miles ONE way just to get to the shop...not counting the miles he then drives in the day while at work. LOLOLOL. Not every day, but definitely common...we have 1-3 vehicles traveling AT LEAST 200+ miles in a day.

But please, do your thing and tell me how I am wrong and you are right.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Limited brake replacement
No alternator
No water pump
No serpentine belt replacement
How much for a new battery(ies)? Tires...are these unlimited wear too? Brakes, suspension parts, etc? I get that an EV may be quite different than a CE in terms of maintenance and wear...but not for a minute do I believe that it is going to be no cost for an EV.

How much for a new battery(ies)? Tires...are these unlimited wear too? Brakes, suspension parts, etc? I get that an EV may be quite different than a CE in terms of maintenance and wear...but not for a minute do I believe that it is going to be no cost for an EV.
Did I mention those?

Care to stick to the things you won't have to pay for with an EV?

Reactions: billanole
It looks a lot cleaner than the below F150 but could be just the photo. The Mach-E has a shitload of cooling hoses.
Hummer-Ultium-platform.jpg

F150
ford_100792116_h.jpg

Mach E
6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0240a4ec0276200b-550wi

Mach-E-Thermal-System-Nightmare-1244x550.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT