ADVERTISEMENT

Democracy at work

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023

Florida Democrats plan to cancel presidential primary, enraging Dean Phillips’ campaign​

The representative says the state party has deliberately moved to keep him off the ballot. Florida Dems say he is acting “unbecoming.”

Florida appears poised to hold no presidential primary election for Democrats this cycle after the state party submitted only President Joe Biden’s name as a candidate up for the nomination.

The move to leave Rep. Dean Phillips off the primary ballot left the Minnesota Democrat enraged on Thursday. In a statement first provided to POLITICO, Phillips, who has launched a longshot primary bid against Biden, accused Florida Democratic Party officials of rigging the primary. He threatened a lawsuit and a convention fight if he didn’t win ballot access in the state.

“Americans would expect the absence of democracy in Tehran, not Tallahassee,” said Phillips. “The intentional disenfranchisement of voters runs counter to everything for which our Democratic Party and country stand. Our mission as Democrats is to defeat authoritarians, not become them.”

The Phillips campaign’s complaint is rooted in the process by which candidates can get on the ballot in Florida. Under state law, it is left up to the parties to decide who makes the primary ballot. The deadline for parties to submit a list of approved candidates to state election officials is Thursday.
But Florida Democrats acted before then, sending a notice on Nov. 1 to the state that had Biden as the only primary candidate. Phillips had entered the race a few days earlier, and self-help guru Marianne Williamson had been campaigning for months by then. Under state law, if a party only signs off on one candidate for the primary ballot, the contest is not held.
Florida’s primary is held March 19, which puts it in line behind Super Tuesday and several other large states such as California and Texas. It is expected to allocate 250 delegates.
In his statement, Phillips called the handling of the process by the Florida Democrats a “blatant act of electoral corruption” and demanded Biden “condemn and immediately address” it.
The Biden campaign did not provide a comment for this story.
Nikki Fried, the chair of the Florida Democratic Party, contended the party followed its “standard process” that was outlined on its website.
“We are dismayed by Dean Phillps’ conspiratorial and inappropriate comments comparing the state of Florida to the Iranian regime as part of his knee-jerk reaction to long-established procedures,” Fried said. “This is unbecoming of someone running for higher office.”
The delegate selection plan cited by Florida Democrats does not spell out an exact deadline for candidates to ask to be placed on the primary ballot.
An initial version of that plan from early April said the party would prepare and approve a list of “recognized” candidates. A revised version, submitted to the state on Nov. 1, was changed to say the list would be approved at the state party convention. That convention began Oct. 27, the day Phillips launched his campaign, and ended Oct. 29, which is when the state party approved Biden as the only candidate.

Similar to when the code red call came out for Joe when they realized they couldn't have Commie Bernie as the nominee last time. Joe went from irrelevant to magically leading in the polls over a weekend.

Reactions: goldmom
They are not preventing anyone from voting with this decision
No Idea Idk GIF by Mashed

Reactions: 1inamillion
Let's not forget that in 1860, the Democrats kept Lincoln off the ballots.

For the same reason the GOP will end up with a twice impeached, 4 time indicted, and charged with 91 felonies candidate the Democrats will only have one candidate on their primary ballot. The parties can dictate how they nominate their candidate anyway they like. There was a time where a few party members would just get in a room, smoke some cigars, and name a candidate. None of this primary stuff at all.

For the same reason the GOP will end up with a twice impeached, 4 time indicted, and charged with 91 felonies candidate the Democrats will only have one candidate on their primary ballot. The parties can dictate how they nominate their candidate anyway they like. There was a time where a few party members would just get in a room, smoke some cigars, and name a candidate. None of this primary stuff at all.
Not sure why you focus on the number of indictments on Trump. Would it change your opinion of Biden if the Gop charged him for 100 counts of collusion with Ukraine/ China? Would this automatically mean Biden is a worse candidate because he has more charges?

Not sure why you focus on the number of indictments on Trump. Would it change your opinion of Biden if the Gop charged him for 100 counts of collusion with Ukraine/ China? Would this automatically mean Biden is a worse candidate because he has more charges?
The GOP? No, they don't get to charge anyone despite every effort to make up a bunch of bullshit to try. An accusation from Comer is not an indictment.

Now, if Biden had 91 federal indictments from an actual prosecutor? Yes, he would be a far worse candidate than he is now. What's shocking is you even had to ask that.

Damn. I apologize to my lefty friends for making fun of the "end of democracy" claims. They were right. The Dems are doing their best to kill democracy. Wow. Sorry, guys.

Reactions: abby97 and goldmom
Did the Democratic Party charge Trump? Or did grand juries?
This is why Trump support has increased after the charges. It seems that many of the charges were politically motivated. Take this for what it's worth.

There have been enough whistleblowers come forward with evidence proving this may be the case.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
They are not preventing anyone from voting with this decision
How do you figure that? Democrats should have the right to choose their candidate in Florida, and other states. Dean Phillips is running for POTUS. Why shouldn't he be a choice? What is the Party afraid of?

How do you figure that? Democrats should have the right to choose their candidate in Florida, and other states. Dean Phillips is running for POTUS. Why shouldn't he be a choice? What is the Party afraid of?
I assume Republicans should have had that right in 2020 as well?

Read my link above.
Thanks. I read it. My position is the same. If there are challengers, there should be a primary, regardless of party.

Florida changed it's partisan primary rules a few years back, allowing crossover voting if a person's party doesn't have primary candidates for an office. That means Democrats could be allowed to vote in the GOP primary. There are some nuances to that, and I'm too lazy to look them up, but IMO it would be wrong for Dems to be able to vote for POTUS in the GOP primary. The law may not apply to statewide voting, I'm not sure.

Reactions: Sharky1203
Thanks. I read it. My position is the same. If there are challengers, there should be a primary, regardless of party.

Florida changed it's partisan primary rules a few years back, allowing crossover voting if a person's party doesn't have primary candidates for an office. That means Democrats could be allowed to vote in the GOP primary. There are some nuances to that, and I'm too lazy to look them up, but IMO it would be wrong for Dems to be able to vote for POTUS in the GOP primary. The law may not apply to statewide voting, I'm not sure.
Fair enough. What is your position on what is happening with the Democratic primary in New Hampshire?

Fair enough. What is your position on what is happening with the Democratic primary in New Hampshire?
It's wrong in every way. IMO. But aren't they talking that Dominion voting machines won't be used in the 2024 election? Might be something to both things occurring.

It's my understanding that Biden declined to file to be in the primary, mostly as a protest against NH insisting on being first instead of SC. That's his choice. I think the write-in campaign is curious given the fact that Biden chose not to be on the ballot. In other words, people want to vote for a man that is saying they aren't important.

In 2020, Biden was doing badly in the primaries, and then magically won big in SC, which got him nice traction moving forward. I'm sure his campaign wanted to make SC first in 2024 for that reason.

Safe bet,.. since there isn't a lot that he's aware of.
Chocolate chip ice cream. He said that in an interview New Years Eve. He was fully aware of the chocolate chip ice cream.

It's my understanding that Biden declined to file to be in the primary, mostly as a protest against NH insisting on being first instead of SC. That's his choice. I think the write-in campaign is curious given the fact that Biden chose not to be on the ballot. In other words, people want to vote for a man that is saying they aren't important.

In 2020, Biden was doing badly in the primaries, and then magically won big in SC, which got him nice traction moving forward. I'm sure his campaign wanted to make SC first in 2024 for that reason.
I don't think there was anything magical about Biden's win in South Carolina. Other than more people voted for him than somebody else. But it certainly was the impetus for his campaign to come out of the doldrums and finish on top.

Yes but let’s remember that Party demographics and philosophies have flipped about 180 degrees since 1860, too.
They sure did. Majority voted against the Civil rights bills in the late 50's and early 60's. Voted and authored bills for mandatory mins on crack cocaine. Authors of the Jim Crow act. Supported by the KKK.

They wear different hats now, but everything is still about what race you are to them. Now the party is just racism against Jews and whites.

All they did was trade who their racist against. Check back in 50 years and they'll be against someone new.

I don't think there was anything magical about Biden's win in South Carolina. Other than more people voted for him than somebody else. But it certainly was the impetus for his campaign to come out of the doldrums and finish on top.

Biden took South Carolina primarily because a majority of his Democrat opponents cashed in their chips and threw their weight behind him before Super Tuesday...

They sure did. Majority voted against the Civil rights bills in the late 50's and early 60's. Voted and authored bills for mandatory mins on crack cocaine. Authors of the Jim Crow act. Supported by the KKK.

They wear different hats now, but everything is still about what race you are to them. Now the party is just racism against Jews and whites.

All they did was trade who their racist against. Check back in 50 years and they'll be against someone new.
See above Sharky. Those old Southern Dems are today’s MaGA Repubbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT