ADVERTISEMENT

Biden could miss the deadline for the November ballot in Ohio, the state’s election office says

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — President Joe Biden could be left off the ballot in Ohio this fall unless the state’s Republican-dominated legislature creates an exception to the ballot deadline or the Democratic Party moves up its convention, according to the office that oversees the state’s elections.

Ohio’s deadline to certify presidential candidates for the general election is Aug. 7, nearly two weeks before the Democratic National Convention, at which Biden is expected to be nominated to run against Republican challenger Donald Trump.

Ohio law requires that presidential candidates be certified 90 days before the general election, which is on Nov. 5 this year, said a letter written last week by Paul DiSantis, chief legal counsel for Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose.

“Please contact me as soon as possible with any information that can assure this office of timely compliance with Ohio law,” the letter said.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
original-2741141-1.jpg

Reactions: TJ8869
According to the article, the same law was in place in 2020. Both parties would have missed the deadline, so the state passed a one-time exception for both parties. With the political climate the way it is now, I don't think Ohio will make the same exception just for Biden.

Alabama has said the same thing, which does make me wonder why either party would not make sure their conventions are held in time for all 50 states.

Reactions: thewop
From the article...

A similar situation came up before the 2020 presidential election. In that case, both the Republican and Democratic conventions were scheduled outside the deadline window so Ohio lawmakers approved changing the cutoff to 60 days — but only for that election.

The letter sent to Ohio Democratic Party Chair Liz Walters said that the legislature would need to act by May 9 to create an exception to the 90-day deadline or that Democrats would need to move up their convention, which would seem unlikely.

Messages seeking comment were left with Walters and the state party on Monday.

From the article...

A similar situation came up before the 2020 presidential election. In that case, both the Republican and Democratic conventions were scheduled outside the deadline window so Ohio lawmakers approved changing the cutoff to 60 days — but only for that election.

The letter sent to Ohio Democratic Party Chair Liz Walters said that the legislature would need to act by May 9 to create an exception to the 90-day deadline or that Democrats would need to move up their convention, which would seem unlikely.

Messages seeking comment were left with Walters and the state party on Monday.
RNC convention was also in late August in 2012, 2008, and was in September in 2004. Eradicate the MAGAts from these positions.

This is low key hilarious to me after the Left's attempts to keep Trump off the ballot in Colorado, Illinois, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Wyoming, Arizona, California, Vermont, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.

i'm sure we'll see joe biden's supporters screaming and crying all over social media and the press about how UNFAIR this all is and that everyone is out to get him and "they're" trying to silence biden supporters by applying the rules

any minute now...

just kidding...biden is an adult

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT