ADVERTISEMENT

Democratic drama and Biden write-ins promise a New Hampshire primary to remember

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
WASHINGTON (AP) — Is a New Hampshire primary without the frontrunner on the ballot and no delegates up for grabs still a New Hampshire primary? Depends on who you ask.

On Tuesday, voters in the Granite State will once again help kick off the presidential primary season, on the heels of the Iowa caucuses that began the nomination process on the Republican side Monday. But this year, there’s something different about the traditional first-in-the-nation primary, at least on the Democratic side.

For starters, the Democratic National Committee, which has the ultimate say in how its presidential nominee will be picked, says state party officials violated national party rules by scheduling its contest earlier than allowed. As a result, the primary will have zero delegates at stake on Tuesday. Normally, the contest would have determined how the state’s original allotment of 23 pledged delegates to the presidential nominating convention in Chicago this summer would be allocated to the various candidates.

Furthermore, President Joe Biden, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for a second term, decided to skip New Hampshire since their primary violates party rules and will not appear on the ballot. It was Biden’s idea to bump the state from its prized primary calendar slot in favor of South Carolina, which resuscitated his struggling campaign in 2020. That year, Biden placed fourth in the Iowa caucuses and fifth in New Hampshire with only 8% of the vote.

The New Hampshire Democratic Party is nevertheless proceeding with the primary — which they note state law requires to be held before any other primary – and has already started the process of selecting people to serve as national convention delegates. This earned a sharp rebuke from the DNC, which called the upcoming primary both “meaningless” and “detrimental.”

It'll be interesting to see how the results are reported.

New Hampshire’s messy Democratic primary, explained​

Dean Phillips is trying to crash Joe Biden’s party. He picked a strange, strange place to start.

Manchester, New Hampshire — “It makes me sick” to criticize President Joe Biden, Rep. Dean Phillips says in a windowless room of his campaign office, lined with “DEAN” posters as a perfect setting for filmed podcasts. “I’ve respected the president my whole life. I’ve had him in my home. … He helped save the country in 2020.”

Criticizing Biden, however, does not make Phillips too sick to refrain. “The way he’s acting now I think is real dangerous, isn’t it? He wouldn’t take my calls to even let him know that I was running. He’s not campaigning. He’s not consenting to debates. He’s not appearing in front of voters. He’s not answering questions. Where is he? And I’m concerned, because he’s going to get embarrassed by Donald Trump.”

That’s the basic thesis of the Minnesota congressman’s primary campaign for president: Voters think Joe Biden is too old and don’t want him to run again — and the polls prove it. “His numbers are horrible,” Phillips said. “He’s 81 years old. His time has passed, and he should have passed the torch.”

Polls of the 2024 presidential election have consistently shown Biden lagging behind Trump in a rematch. Further, a majority of voters have an unfavorable view of the incumbent, and polling data has shown that even Democrats are less than enthusiastic about a Biden reelection bid.

In fact, Phillips insisted that if the polls were better for Biden, he would have never thought of running. “Gosh no,” said the Minnesota Democrat. “But [they’re] not. And that’s why this is so existential in my mind. I’m dumbfounded that the great Democratic Party of which I have been a member and supporter and passionate about for so long is offering a singular candidate who is destined to lose to the most dangerous man in American history.”

As such, the 54-year-old Phillips is running a quixotic primary campaign against his party’s incumbent president.

https://www.vox.com/politics/2024/1...emocrat-joe-biden-dean-phillips-new-hampshire

Biden is skipping New Hampshire’s primary. One of his opponents says he’s as elusive as Bigfoot​

PETERBOROUGH, N.H. (AP) — Trying to upset President Joe Biden in New Hampshire’s primary, Democratic challenger Dean Phillips is running a TV ad across the state comparing him to Bigfoot — the argument being both are hard to find.

“I’m something of an expert on elusive creatures,” a man dressed as sasquatch intones in the spot. “So I challenged myself to find President Biden in New Hampshire during this primary season. I thought I was good at hiding.”

Biden isn’t campaigning here. He pushed through Democratic rule changes that prioritized voters of color, deemphasizing New Hampshire’s primary. That angered party officials here who forged ahead with a primary anyway.

With his name not on the ballot, Biden’s allies are running a write-in campaign to try and ensure he doesn’t lose — or come uncomfortably close to losing — to any of the nearly two dozen candidates actually on it — a motley collection including a hopeful whose first name is President and a performance artist who wears a rubber boot on his head.

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple

New Hampshire investigating fake Biden robocall meant to discourage voters ahead of primary​

• Haha
It'll be interesting to see how the results are reported.

New Hampshire’s messy Democratic primary, explained​

Dean Phillips is trying to crash Joe Biden’s party. He picked a strange, strange place to start.

Manchester, New Hampshire — “It makes me sick” to criticize President Joe Biden, Rep. Dean Phillips says in a windowless room of his campaign office, lined with “DEAN” posters as a perfect setting for filmed podcasts. “I’ve respected the president my whole life. I’ve had him in my home. … He helped save the country in 2020.”

Criticizing Biden, however, does not make Phillips too sick to refrain. “The way he’s acting now I think is real dangerous, isn’t it? He wouldn’t take my calls to even let him know that I was running. He’s not campaigning. He’s not consenting to debates. He’s not appearing in front of voters. He’s not answering questions. Where is he? And I’m concerned, because he’s going to get embarrassed by Donald Trump.”

That’s the basic thesis of the Minnesota congressman’s primary campaign for president: Voters think Joe Biden is too old and don’t want him to run again — and the polls prove it. “His numbers are horrible,” Phillips said. “He’s 81 years old. His time has passed, and he should have passed the torch.”

Polls of the 2024 presidential election have consistently shown Biden lagging behind Trump in a rematch. Further, a majority of voters have an unfavorable view of the incumbent, and polling data has shown that even Democrats are less than enthusiastic about a Biden reelection bid.

In fact, Phillips insisted that if the polls were better for Biden, he would have never thought of running. “Gosh no,” said the Minnesota Democrat. “But [they’re] not. And that’s why this is so existential in my mind. I’m dumbfounded that the great Democratic Party of which I have been a member and supporter and passionate about for so long is offering a singular candidate who is destined to lose to the most dangerous man in American history.”

As such, the 54-year-old Phillips is running a quixotic primary campaign against his party’s incumbent president.

https://www.vox.com/politics/2024/1...emocrat-joe-biden-dean-phillips-new-hampshire
Phillips is getting beat by 70 points by Biden. So it's weird watching him talking about bad polls inspiring him to run against Joe.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Phillips is getting beat by 70 points by Biden. So it's weird watching him talking about bad polls inspiring him to run against Joe.
He's probably looking at this.

and this

He's probably looking at this.

Seems like your moving the goalposts. This thread is about the Democratic primary. And Biden is destroying his challengers. His most vocal opponent is a rounding error. So expecting him to engage is not realistic.

Meanwhile, Biden is the sitting president and has stockpiled the most money any democratic campaign has ever seen. He soundly beat Trump before and is in a good position to do so again. For the Phillips to pretend that he is in anyway position to take on Trump better is preposterous.

The last filings show Phillips with $300,000 cash on hand. He's had to loan his campaign money to keep it afloat. Bins, do you really think he is in any way positioned to take on Trump?

TLDR version:
Will Philips win? Will Newsome win? Or will lemmings be lemmings and write what they're "supposed" to write.

Find out tonight, or tomorrow, or next week sometime when they finally count the write-ins...

Seems like your moving the goalposts. This thread is about the Democratic primary. And Biden is destroying his challengers. His most vocal opponent is a rounding error. So expecting him to engage is not realistic.

Meanwhile, Biden is the sitting president and has stockpiled the most money any democratic campaign has ever seen. He soundly beat Trump before and is in a good position to do so again. For the Phillips to pretend that he is in anyway position to take on Trump better is preposterous.
Moving what goalposts? You wondered why Phillips is running.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Is a New Hampshire primary without the frontrunner on the ballot and no delegates up for grabs still a New Hampshire primary? Depends on who you ask.

On Tuesday, voters in the Granite State will once again help kick off the presidential primary season, on the heels of the Iowa caucuses that began the nomination process on the Republican side Monday. But this year, there’s something different about the traditional first-in-the-nation primary, at least on the Democratic side.

For starters, the Democratic National Committee, which has the ultimate say in how its presidential nominee will be picked, says state party officials violated national party rules by scheduling its contest earlier than allowed. As a result, the primary will have zero delegates at stake on Tuesday. Normally, the contest would have determined how the state’s original allotment of 23 pledged delegates to the presidential nominating convention in Chicago this summer would be allocated to the various candidates.

Furthermore, President Joe Biden, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for a second term, decided to skip New Hampshire since their primary violates party rules and will not appear on the ballot. It was Biden’s idea to bump the state from its prized primary calendar slot in favor of South Carolina, which resuscitated his struggling campaign in 2020. That year, Biden placed fourth in the Iowa caucuses and fifth in New Hampshire with only 8% of the vote.

The New Hampshire Democratic Party is nevertheless proceeding with the primary — which they note state law requires to be held before any other primary – and has already started the process of selecting people to serve as national convention delegates. This earned a sharp rebuke from the DNC, which called the upcoming primary both “meaningless” and “detrimental.”
From 4th in Iowa, 5th in New Hampshire to the MOST VOTED FOR president EVER. Nothing to see here.

Quote of him saying either of these things?

indirect​

adjective

in·di·rect ˌin-də-ˈrekt
-(ˌ)dī-

Synonyms of indirect
: not direct: such as
a(1)
: deviating from a direct line or course : ROUNDABOUT
(2)
: not going straight to the point
an indirect accusation

(3)
: being or involving proof of a proposition or theorem by demonstration that its negation leads to an absurdity or contradiction
b
: not straightforward and open : DECEITFUL
c
: not directly aimed at or achieved
indirect consequences

d
: stating what a real or supposed original speaker said with changes in wording that conform the statement grammatically to the sentence in which it is included
indirect discourse

an indirect question

indirect​

adjective

in·di·rect ˌin-də-ˈrekt
-(ˌ)dī-

Synonyms of indirect
: not direct: such as
a(1)
: deviating from a direct line or course : ROUNDABOUT
(2)
: not going straight to the point
an indirect accusation

(3)
: being or involving proof of a proposition or theorem by demonstration that its negation leads to an absurdity or contradiction
b
: not straightforward and open : DECEITFUL
c
: not directly aimed at or achieved
indirect consequences

d
: stating what a real or supposed original speaker said with changes in wording that conform the statement grammatically to the sentence in which it is included
indirect discourse

an indirect question

So he didn't actually say what you claimed. Why am I not surprised?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT