ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul

Mar 14, 2003
I see they have played three games already on the regular season, not against great competition.

They went 19-17 last year. Any idea how they match up with Iowa on Monday? Obviously not a game Iowa wants to drop, but still some unknowns.

Their coach was suspended for their first 3 games for a violation. He'll be back Monday.

Of their top 6 players, 3 were top 70 according to rivals. 6th man was rated around 150 according to 247. Their center was lightly recruited but is projected in the NBA 2nd round.

Their talent has been bottom barrel recently, but they've got talent that is comparable to a good team. From what I've seen, their offense comes from forcing turnovers.

They played Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday then a two day break before playing again. They could get tired quicker.

Like in many games this Season Iowa will have a very good size advantage in the post. But what DePaul gives up in Height and Size they make up for in athleticism. Paul Reed is their best post standing at 6'9 and weighs 220 pounds he is averaging 11, and 10 on the season. Jaylen Butz is slightly bigger at 225 pounds is averaging 12, and 6. Reed is the one out of the two who will give Iowa more trouble. They have a strong group in the back court in Jalen Coleman-Lands, Charlie Moore, Markese Jacobs. Charlie Moore looks to have revived his career in Chicago and is going off this season averaging 19 points per game on 60% shooting. Moore and Jacobs are both only 5'11 so they give up alot to the Iowa Guards. Romeo Weems has the highest ceiling of anyone on the Roster and is the 6th highest ranked recruit to even sign with DePaul. He has the ability to stretch the floor or bang in the post. He is also only 6'7. Coming off the bench they have 6'7 Darious Hall, 6'11 205 pound Center Nick Ongenda who is a nice rim protector, and 6'2 G Devin Gage. They have in a of the more talented team in recent DePaul history and can make a run for a March Tournament if everything goes like it should. They will have Iowa all they want and more but I think Iowa's size and overall talent will he to much for them still.
IOWA-64
DePaul-58

Reactions: torbee
Like in many games this Season Iowa will have a very good size advantage in the post. But what DePaul gives up in Height and Size they make up for in athleticism. Paul Reed is their best post standing at 6'9 and weighs 220 pounds he is averaging 11, and 10 on the season. Jaylen Butz is slightly bigger at 225 pounds is averaging 12, and 6. Reed is the one out of the two who will give Iowa more trouble. They have a strong group in the back court in Jalen Coleman-Lands, Charlie Moore, Markese Jacobs. Charlie Moore looks to have revived his career in Chicago and is going off this season averaging 19 points per game on 60% shooting. Moore and Jacobs are both only 5'11 so they give up alot to the Iowa Guards. Romeo Weems has the highest ceiling of anyone on the Roster and is the 6th highest ranked recruit to even sign with DePaul. He has the ability to stretch the floor or bang in the post. He is also only 6'7. Coming off the bench they have 6'7 Darious Hall, 6'11 205 pound Center Nick Ongenda who is a nice rim protector, and 6'2 G Devin Gage. They have in a of the more talented team in recent DePaul history and can make a run for a March Tournament if everything goes like it should. They will have Iowa all they want and more but I think Iowa's size and overall talent will he to much for them still.
IOWA-64
DePaul-58

This is a really good breakdown that I can't add a lot to......I will just say that I have watched parts of all three of their games. They are athletic, they make an effort on defense, they did not turn the ball over a lot during the stretches I saw. Iowa will have to play well. We will have to shoot it well, play decent defense, and have a low number of turnovers.

I think our front line is better....I think their guard court will be very challenging for our guys. This will be a very tough test....IF, I emphasize IF, we are able to win this then I think we give ourselves a chance for a decent season....if we lose I think this team will have to make significant steps in short order to get where we need to be to make it to the post season. Didn't say that very well....I don't think losing to them is the end of the world, but I think this Depaul team is the first real test for our guys......significant jump in competition.

Last edited:
The 3 teams Depaul won against is not that impressive, mostly small conferences, IA will also be their real test. I like our chances with our bigs, just limit the turnover and be patient and look for good shots, IA should win.

IOWA-64
DePaul-58

Wow, Charlier Moore is well traveled. Sticking to 1 place for his degree must not have been on his list of life goals.

IOWA-64
DePaul-58

I'd be surprised if it's that much of a taffy pull. Iowa goes a lot deeper and will try to run and gun with a deeper bench (so long as JB plays). Perhaps too early to lean too much on early stats but it seems a couple of their prominent bigs really struggle at the line. I'm looking for a 10-12 point victory but I think we should score in the 80s.

Their coach was suspended for their first 3 games for a violation. He'll be back Monday.

Of their top 6 players, 3 were top 70 according to rivals. 6th man was rated around 150 according to 247. Their center was lightly recruited but is projected in the NBA 2nd round.

Their talent has been bottom barrel recently, but they've got talent that is comparable to a good team. From what I've seen, their offense comes from forcing turnovers.

DePaul Mline bet once it comes out might be worth a bet...

Surprised that ESPN power index says we have 88% chance of winning. Also surprised Sagarin has us at 43. DePaul is 110. Computer rankings this early really are stupid - not enough data to use yet

They played Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday then a two day break before playing again. They could get tired quicker.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT