ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Mitchell

Mitchell showed great potential as a back with good speed, power, and good hands. When he played, he played well, and I was looking forward to having him teamed with Wadley this season. I have no idea what happened with him and KF so that he left Iowa City, but Mitchell is a talented football player.

Always wondered if he could have ended up back at WR (still might have been passed over by newcomers).

Mitchell was a good football player. 168 yards in D2 though just means he could have been a good D1 back which we already knew.

Mitchell showed great potential as a back with good speed, power, and good hands. When he played, he played well, and I was looking forward to having him teamed with Wadley this season. I have no idea what happened with him and KF so that he left Iowa City, but Mitchell is a talented football player.
Absolutely nothing happened between him and Kirk Ferentz. It's the simple matter of the current (and at the time in coming) running backs were better and he could see the writing on the wall. It just makes sense that he would want to play. Too many people trying to make way too much out of it

Absolutely nothing happened between him and Kirk Ferentz. It's the simple matter of the current (and at the time in coming) running backs were better and he could see the writing on the wall. It just makes sense that he would want to play. Too many people trying to make way too much out of it
You have evidence that he and KF were on good terms? I doubt they were. Maybe DMX deserved to be in doghouse. Few people know. I do know that he was good enough to play a lot more than he did. Btw, KF not always the greatest judge of talent, e.g. Jake/Stanzi.

You have evidence that he and KF were on good terms? I doubt they were. Maybe DMX deserved to be in doghouse. Few people know. I do know that he was good enough to play a lot more than he did. Btw, KF not always the greatest judge of talent, e.g. Jake/Stanzi.
Nobody is perfect at judging talent, though I believe KF and his coaching staff have earned the praise they've received. Some will be missed for sure, but others will be found. Some players are great practice players but not game players and vice versa.

You have evidence to say otherwise?

I'm a pretty good judge of talent and I can tell that the running back pecking order was just fine. Derek Mitchell is a nice back but not quite good enough.

I think it's hilarious how many fans see a player that physically looks imposing and just assumes after he makes a couple decent plays that he is better than the other guys playing.

Best of luck to Mitchell. But frankly, I am not going to lose any sleep over "What Might Have Been" with Mitchell. I think we are looking pretty solid at running back for now and into the future and I am liking what I am seeing so far in wide receiver.

I'm a pretty good judge of talent and I can tell that the running back pecking order was just fine. Derek Mitchell is a nice back but not quite good enough.

I think it's hilarious how many fans see a player that physically looks imposing and just assumes after he makes a couple decent plays that he is better than the other guys playing.

You state an opinion as fact initially (suggesting KF and DMX were on good terms), someone asks for any kind of confirmation and you in turn toss it back to them with the burden to prove their claim? Then top it off with the "I'm a pretty good judge of talent" response.

Sure sounds like you are speculating on just about everything you are saying...including but not limited to the comment about having the ability to judge talent.

carry on...

You have a low hilarity threshold.

Best of luck to Mitchell. But frankly, I am not going to lose any sleep over "What Might Have Been" with Mitchell. I think we are looking pretty solid at running back for now and into the future and I am liking what I am seeing so far in wide receiver.
Before we get too smug over running back situation, let's see how the new guys play after taking a few Big Ten hits. DMX could run, catch, and most important, block. There's a good chance we will miss him Saturday.

Why did he fall out at Texas tech too and is now at a D2?

Coaches fault again?

Who should not have played so that Mitchell could play more? In 2015 Iowa used Canzeri, Daniels, Wadley and Mitchell in roles. In 2016 Iowa had 2 1,000-yard rushers. Good for him going some place where he can play. Win/win for the player and for Iowa.

Note: I agree with your point that the coaches did just fine in determining who should play over who.

Why did he fall out at Texas tech too and is now at a D2?

Coaches fault again?

you don't get it, do you? People aren't blaming the coaches...and don't disagree that good backs have ascended at Iowa, I certainly have no first hand knowledge or inside info on why he didn't finish at Iowa, but I seriously doubt it was due to a lack of skill or talent as you suggest.

Good luck to the kid. He was an average back with good receiving skills at the big ten level. He was never going be the featured back here, so I am glad he found a good spot to be featured.

Reactions: thrillpac
Weisman the FB plays RB for 2 or 3 seasons and our fanbase thinks the coaches are good judges of talent. the same coaching staff that didnt recruit David Johnson when he was in our back yard.

Oops

Reactions: HawkGem11
Weisman the FB plays RB for 2 or 3 seasons and our fanbase thinks the coaches are good judges of talent. the same coaching staff that didnt recruit David Johnson when he was in our back yard.

Oops
Iowa recruited Johnson offered him a greyshirt.. that recruiting year we had Coker who Iowa had number 1. And it was down to Chris white and deandre Jordan, jordan jump first on the offer.. David Johnson was a much better college player the. What he showed in high school he really changed his attitude to play. Which has worked out great for him.

I'm not smug at all. I merely commented on the fact I like our running backs and wide receivers. Mitchell was an average back at Iowa - nothing more. Yes it would be great to have a lot of amazing running backs (Mitchell is not amazing btw) in case of injuries, but if Butler didn't get hurt, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

There is a subset of posters on this board that will go out of their way to glorify players that have left this program regardless of actual results or sample size. Some do it because they think the grass is always greener on the other side. Others use it as an opportunity to try to correlate it with bad coaching/judgement to push a different agenda. I think some are just overthinking it here. Mitchell - at best - would have been third back this year had he stayed. I think he would have been below that, but that is just my non-smug opinion. He wanted a bigger role so he left. Best of luck to him.
Before we get too smug over running back situation, let's see how the new guys play after taking a few Big Ten hits. DMX could run, catch, and most important, block. There's a good chance we will miss him Saturday.

Reactions: terrehawk
I'm not smug at all. I merely commented on the fact I like our running backs and wide receivers. Mitchell was an average back at Iowa - nothing more. Yes it would be great to have a lot of amazing running backs (Mitchell is not amazing btw) in case of injuries, but if Butler didn't get hurt, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

There is a subset of posters on this board that will go out of their way to glorify players that have left this program regardless of actual results or sample size. Some do it because they think the grass is always greener on the other side. Others use it as an opportunity to try to correlate it with bad coaching/judgement to push a different agenda. I think some are just overthinking it here. Mitchell - at best - would have been third back this year had he stayed. I think he would have been below that, but that is just my non-smug opinion. He wanted a bigger role so he left. Best of luck to him.
Wow. Subset. Sample size. Correlate. You must be smart.

Thanks JimBob. I guess I should have known better. JimBob. I'll use smaller words next time. JimBob. Your last name isn't Mitchell by chance is it?

I wasn't basing it solely off that game, but they both have almost as much game experience as your guy so.....

Reactions: hawk21
DMX had a great opportunity to be Iowa's #2 back this year. He chose to leave. Good luck to him.

True. Even if Wadley went down he wasn't going to be a starter. He certainly showed he belonged when he was in there but was never going to be the focus of the offense. IMO he is comparable to Mo Fleming, for whatever reason Fleming was never going to be a starter at Iowa. He transferred to West Virginia where he started several games and showed he belonged at the FBS level. Neither player would make or break Iowa's season, like 99% of the roster they were contributors who could help if called upon. Even NFL draftee Rudock was replaceable, as was Wegher, though I admit it would've been a big plus if Wegher stayed knowing how quickly we would lose Coker. For the reason's mentioned I understand that's it's always nice to have "too much" depth. Ya never know when AIRBHG will unleash his wrath.

Last edited:
Thanks JimBob. I guess I should have known better. JimBob. I'll use smaller words next time. JimBob. Your last name isn't Mitchell by chance is it?

I wasn't basing it solely off that game, but they both have almost as much game experience as your guy so.....
So how you liking our running backs now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT