ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines sucks!

Dahl’s history…..

They spent too much on new stores then couldn’t compete with Hy Vee. Once they were gone Fareway really took off in the metro and surrounding communities. Like Fareway and their small food footprint. They get it by selling groceries and not fufu items.
^^^WOB

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I have a younger coworker who lives on Mulberry Street and she walks everywhere. We had a work event at The Surety and she walked to meet us there and then we walked to Exile for dinner and walked back to Surety and several guys did not want her walking back home by herself and she just laughed.
I can think of another reason those several guys didn’t want her to walk alone.

Call it, a penis in the vagina reason….

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
I believe that is correct, and that there were 10 to 20 of them which are now price choppers. The Dahl's in Ankeny was just a few minutes from my house and I really wanted it to succeed. But after a while, I felt like we were grocery shopping at a convenience store, in terms of price and selection.
Sounds like Piggly Wiggly. Good gawd those stores are awful.

Don't forget those city schools with litter boxes in the bathrooms and kids identifying as horses!
Isn't that crazy? When adults are telling kids that they're not the "gender" they were "assigned at birth?" Why make up shit when the crazy is real and being regurgitated?

The things HyVee has that I cannot get satisfactorily elsewhere which come to mind:
  • fresh herbs like basil
  • some vegetables like jalapenos
  • chilled salad dressings
  • quality freshly sliced deli meat
  • certain salsas
  • certain frozen pizzas
  • bratwurst
  • pre-marinated/spiced/prepared chicken breast or chicken grillers
Otherwise, it is 90% costco or sam's, depending upon the time of day/location, or whether we have reached a loyalty status with the credit card we normally use and are not within reach of another one, so I just to to costco and use the visa card they have.
No love for Fareway brats?

I lost my s*** this morning at the gym. The woman leading a fitness class started talking about kids using litter boxes at school. I used the word BS repeatedly, she kept insisting that her friend that "works at a school", says it's true. She asked me if her friend was lying, and I said yes, or she's a moron who didn't actually see anything, and was just spreading lies. I told her I'd give her $1000 if she could take me to this school and show me the litter boxes.
People are so freaking dumb. Seems like something Northern would believe.
You think humans are "born in wrong bodiez." You're an astrologer.

Asking because IDK...Does Hyvee has as many different flavors of brats as Fareway?
They have all I need. They have others which I don't care to try, but my rotation includes: standard with casing and not, beer with casing and not, jalapeno cheddar with casing or not, and green onion with casing or not. If standard brat flavor, beer, or green onion, I like to get them without casing sometimes so they can better soak in the beer and onions I poach them in first. If I am finishing them on the Traeger, they also take on smoke flavor better than those with casing. But sometimes I like the snap of the casing.

Reactions: stickman80
Many places are now annoying with their sales.

Is it on sale for everybody?
Do I need to join perks?
Do I need to order it for pickup?

Sounds like Piggly Wiggly. Good gawd those stores are awful.
I think of IGA/Piggly Wiggly as the same as Fareway, at least in terms of appearance. I don't really shop at either of them though so the comparison may end there.

I think of IGA/Piggly Wiggly as the same as Fareway, at least in terms of appearance. I don't really shop at either of them though so the comparison may end there.
PW selection is crap (the last 4 feet of the household goods aisle is dedicated to over-the-counter meds and toiletries... that's worse than Casey's), and the prices are only slightly cheaper than Publix.

Publix is probably 10% more expensive than Piggly-Wiggly or Winn-Dixie, and 20% more expensive than Wally World, but the produce is a notch above, and the meat and deli is where they really shine.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I think that was the Super Valu house brand.
Super Valu near the Central College campus was awesome to get cheap Blatz, Buckhorn, Schmidt Big Mouth, Hamm's and Milwaukee's Best back in the 80's. You could get a 30 pack for $10 on sale!

Yes — that's one of the best liquor stores in our region. Also has a full bar available.
You weren't kidding. This place is amazing. Tons of beers and liqours that are tough to find in the Omaha region. They carry Swarm Beer, and you can even get special cases of Schilling Cider that are hard to find in Seattle. Thanks for the rec, it'll likely be the only liquor store I stop at from now on.

I believe that is correct, and that there were 10 to 20 of them which are now price choppers. The Dahl's in Ankeny was just a few minutes from my house and I really wanted it to succeed. But after a while, I felt like we were grocery shopping at a convenience store, in terms of price and selection.
It was never crowded.

So, in reading this thread 90 percent of the people like the grocery store they most frequently shop at? My Hy-Vee is fine. I’ve stopped at the new one in NL, and besides a a few amenities isn’t better than mine. I haven’t seen the name Aldi’s too much in this thread. The IC area has two of them, so maybe I’ll check one out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT