ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis and his shenanigans is destroying a university

Colleges are very important but colleges that only worry about the liberal arts are useless.
Tell me you have no idea what a liberal arts college is without telling me you have no idea what a liberal arts college is.

Hint: the word liberal has multiple meanings.

A liberal arts college simply means you have more GenEd requirements to get a well-rounded education rather than hyper-focusing on one area.

Wonder what the student transferring was choosing as his “area of concentration” such that he can’t find classes?
And if the faculty who left are able to find new positions?
God Goldy. I’ve been holding out. But you had to ask the question.

The faculty who left? Well they are lost certainly finding greener pastures. Maybe those pastures are not as self fulfilling. But they are certainly less drama. And not only the “dealing with school kids all the time” drama. But not dealing with state legislated bullshit all the time.

Reactions: Ree4 and ft254
Tell me you have no idea what a liberal arts college is without telling me you have no idea what a liberal arts college is.

Hint: the word liberal has multiple meanings.

A liberal arts college simply means you have more GenEd requirements to get a well-rounded education rather than hyper-focusing on one area.
Liberal arts means you’re too lazy to find a real major or job.

So science, math, computer science, etc aren’t real majors?

The list of majors from a liberal arts school and other universities have no real discernible differences.

It’s crazy how adding the word liberal totally warps your reality and causes you to hate blindly. No wonder our society is going to hell.

God Goldy. I’ve been holding out. But you had to ask the question.

The faculty who left? Well they are lost certainly finding greener pastures. Maybe those pastures are not as self fulfilling. But they are certainly less drama. And not only the “dealing with school kids all the time” drama. But not dealing with state legislated bullshit all the time.
My question was asked in a manner such that you were able to assume I was being hostile? I thought it was legit and I have no issues with these folks; rather, I hope they found a landing spot without much difficulty.

My question was asked in a manner such that you were able to assume I was being hostile? I thought it was legit and I have no issues with these folks; rather, I hope they found a landing spot without much difficulty.
Hostile? No. I’ve never really found you to be hostile.

Hoping they find a landing spot though. That, to me, feels naive.

Most teachers understand they could be making more money doing almost anything else out there. These people are not teaching because of the $ involved. They have that passion, that desire. That purpose. Dealing with kids everyday is hard. Doing that within the boundaries of the laws set makes it even harder. When those laws become so restrictive that you can’t even do your job, well that makes it almost impossible.

I have zero doubt these people will find other opportunities that pay more, but will also be less fulfilling towards themselves.

Reactions: goldmom
Things going from bad to worse for RonnyBoy.
Info leaked that the SuperPAC is dictating his presentation at next week's debate.

He's supposed to attack Vivek and defend Turd...while also throwing shade at the WH.
Imagine his supporters now being afraid of Ramaswamy?

U.S. spending/pupil ranks 7th in the world. We rank 38th in math and 24th in science. This was before the teachers unions that control education policy in the Biden administration shut thousands of schools down for 2 years during Covid. The deleterious effects of in home learning on children have been well documented. U.S News and World Report, a left leaning publication, recently rated the state of Florida #1 in education. In some urban public school systems, not a single child is proficient in math at grade level. The public school system in our country is destroying our competitive advantage in the world. You’re barking up the wrong tree. Not teaching gender fluidity and CRT (Marxism which simply substitutes race for class and promotes racial hatred isn’t the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
U.S. spending/pupil ranks 7th in the world. We rank 38th in math and 24th in science. This was before the teachers unions that control education policy in the Biden administration shut thousands of schools down for 2 years during Covid. The deleterious effects of in home learning on children have been well documented. U.S News and World Report, a left leaning publication, recently rated the state of Florida #1 in education. In some urban public school systems, not a single child is proficient in math at grade level. The public school system in our country is destroying our competitive advantage in the world. You’re barking up the wrong tree. Not teaching gender fluidity and CRT (Marxism which simply substitutes race for class and promotes racial hatred isn’t the problem.
Thanks for the word salad of false equivalencies, lies and out of context items. Bravo, a true MAGA.

If you take out Miami-Dade and Palm Beach County, what do those numbers look like?

This isn’t CRT and gender fluidity, one of the best colleges in the university system ran off math and science professors.

He DID put one of his buddies (Richard Corcoran) in as president of that university (New College); Corcoran is getting a salary/benefits package that is almost identical to the presidents of FSU and UCF, despite New College having a student body the size of a small Florida high school (roughly 600 students). For comparison, FSU has over 43k, and UCF has about 72k.
More recently, the state pressured FAU to suspend their search for a new president after Desanis' preferred pick, Randy Fine, was not among the three finalists that were chosen by the search committee.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: DFSNOLE and ping72
I was a liberal arts major.

I have been the CEO of multiple companies. I have had thousands of people report into me over a career spanning multiple decades. I have founded companies and invested in others. I have donated very actively to charities that I believe make a difference in the world. I have paid more taxes than 99% of Americans. None of this would be likely without a well rounded background in logic, rhetoric, economics and other liberal arts studies you look down upon.

I strongly believe college is not for everybody and we should encourage more people to go into the trades, we need more folks that choose the path you chose. But that doesn’t mean a liberal arts degree makes one lazy or makes it impossible to find a real job.

The fascinating thing about about folks like you is just how blinded you are by your confirmation bias. Just because some Starbucks barista is an art history major does not mean all art history majors work at Starbucks or that somehow working at Starbucks is “bad”.

Anyway, rant over. Instead of denigrating the path others choose maybe you would have more luck celebrating the path you chose. It is worthy of celebration and honey is more attractive than vinegar.

Setting aside the merits of the argument, you might want to rethink that thread title.

Setting aside the merits of the argument, you might want to rethink that thread title.
Why?

The only issue I might see somebody taking issue with is the use of the word shenanigans when it was more like a cold calculated move.

Why?

The only issue I might see somebody taking issue with is the use of the word shenanigans when it was more like a cold calculated move.
Noun/verb number agreement. One might say "Desantis is" but "Desantis and his shenanigans are".

To be clear I don't generally do message board grammar policing, but when the item in question is independently ironic or humorous (as it is here, in a post about wrecking an institution of higher learning), there is an available policy exception.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT