ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis Set to Announce 2024 Run on Twitter With Elon Musk

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is planning to announce the start of his 2024 presidential campaign on Wednesday in a live audio conversation on Twitter with Elon Musk, the platform’s polarizing owner, according to people with knowledge of his plans.
Mr. DeSantis’s entry into the Republican primary race against former President Donald J. Trump has been widely expected, but the decision to do so with Mr. Musk adds a surprising element and gives Mr. DeSantis access to a large audience online. NBC News first reported the plans.
The event on Twitter Spaces is planned for 6 p.m. Eastern. Mr. DeSantis is expected to later appear on Fox News in an interview with Trey Gowdy, a former congressman from South Carolina, according to the network.
Mr. Musk appeared to confirm the news on Tuesday by retweeting a Fox News reporter who had shared news of the planned Twitter Space with Mr. DeSantis. The governor has also gathered donors on Wednesday at the Four Seasons in Miami.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The conversation with Mr. Musk will be moderated by David Sacks, a Republican donor who is a DeSantis supporter and close to Mr. Musk.

Mr. Musk said he voted for President Biden in the 2020 election, but has since been critical of him and his administration, which has a frosty relationship with his electric automaker, Tesla. The billionaire has said it was difficult for Mr. Biden to stay in touch with voters at the age of 80.
While Mr. Musk has called himself a moderate who has voted for Democrats in the past, he has shifted his support in recent years toward the right. On Twitter he has engaged with and shared right-wing conspiracy theories, including one about the October attack of Paul Pelosi, the husband of former Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Ahead of the 2022 midterms, Mr. Musk called the Democratic Party one of “division & hate” and said he would vote for Republican candidates. The Daily Beast later reported that Mr. Musk did not cast a ballot in the midterms.

Mr. Musk has not been shy in voicing his support for Mr. DeSantis, and has done so multiple times last year. In July, the Tesla chief executive and Twitter owner tweeted that the Florida governor would “easily win” if matched up against Mr. Biden in 2024. And in November he responded in the affirmative when asked by a Twitter user if he would support Mr. DeSantis in that election.

Last summer, when Mr. DeSantis was asked about Mr. Musk’s potential support, the Florida governor cracked: “I welcome support from African Americans, what can I say?” (Mr. Musk is white and from South Africa.)

This will be interesting. My first thought with something like this is doing a debate on Twitter spaces where it’s free form. I would love for something like that to happen between candidates compared to the current format.

This will be interesting. My first thought with something like this is doing a debate on Twitter spaces where it’s free form. I would love for something like that to happen between candidates compared to the current format.
I'd rather they ended the debates altogether and the candidates explained their platform and answered questions to a panel of journalists selected by every organization with WH press credentials. Presidential debates are pretty silly

I'd rather they ended the debates altogether and the candidates explained their platform and answered questions to a panel of journalists selected by every organization with WH press credentials. Presidential debates are pretty silly
I’d prefer the candidates sit down with someone like Bill Mahr or Joe Rogan, podcast style, 2 hour interview. Add fact checkers and call them out in real time. Then the same for Biden v whoever the nominee is.

I’d prefer the candidates sit down with someone like Bill Mahr or Joe Rogan, podcast style, 2 hour interview. Add fact checkers and call them out in real time. Then the same for Biden v whoever the nominee is.

I wouldn't care if they did more talk circuits (some candidates have done Rogan and I think it helped them) but I'm thinking specifically as a replacement for the debates. Rogan would probably be God awful for that (but his show as is wouldn't be bad for candidates to do). The only show he's ever done where he had to do preparation in advance was Radio News and he was not the most talented actor on the show. Maher could probably pull it off as a special where his/a staff researches the candidates' records and platforms and prepares a discussion agenda that covers more ground than the debates are allowed to. He's got more experience, but even then I wouldn't want it just to be his people picking topics. Idea with the different press orgs is so different interest groups get to submit questions/concerns for discussion.

A stoned or sober Joe Rogan?

Listen to him interview Bernie Sanders. This sort of interview of candidates would serve us all much better than any debate where candidates dodge questions with scripted answers, and questions in advance.

I didn't watch this particular video, but I've seen and heard numerous Bernie Sanders interviews and he answers the question that was asked. He doesn't bs around with a non-answer.

Try doing something like this with Trump, it would be off the rails with the first question. Trump is a terrible interview as it is always a $hit show.

Sean Evans would be perfect. Take away the hot wings and let him run the interviews.

Reactions: TennNole17
I didn't watch this particular video, but I've seen and heard numerous Bernie Sanders interviews and he answers the question that was asked. He doesn't bs around with a non-answer.

Try doing something like this with Trump, it would be off the rails with the first question. Trump is a terrible interview as it is always a $hit show.
Agree Trump would be a shit show, just like he was in the debate with Biden in previous years. However, a different kind of shit show, but I don’t think Biden would fare very well in a 3 hour sit down interview, without prepared questions and being called out on inaccuracies as well.

The key would be to find someone as nonpartisan as possible. I like Joe and Bill because they lean left, but both feel like they’ve been abandoned by their party. Otherwise it’s hard to find someone truly neutral.

Listen to him interview Bernie Sanders. This sort of interview of candidates would serve us all much better than any debate where candidates dodge questions with scripted answers, and questions in advance.

No. We don't need a entertainer that is known to be stoned during his interviews to be involved in elections. I am pro-weed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT