ADVERTISEMENT

Desperate Disney: CEO Says Company Will 'Quiet the Noise' of Woke Culture Push Amid Nearly $200 Billion Loss

Admit? My admitted truth is that spending and adding to the national debt only become an issue to “conservatives” when a D occupies the White House.

Anything else you post is just white noise.
Really? Roflmao. We get it from both sides when the other side is in charge.

Well, they addressed infrastructure. They also did something at least for the shift away from fossil fuels. GOP has not done anything about anything since they invaded Iraq.
Biden said he would tax the rich. When is that happening?

There is no great woke agenda. Democrats control the White House and both houses. They didn’t pass an increase that there was no great woke agenda.

Neither side does anything but increase the debt. Sooner or later that is going to meltdown the entire country. Nobody cares until it’s their turn to care. They care enough to use it for political talking points and never ever do anything about the actual problem.

For those that don’t like profits, I would have no problem with a program where people could just hand over any percentage of their retirement savings gains every year to government because the profits bothered them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Biden said he would tax the rich. When is that happening?

There is no great woke agenda. Democrats control the White House and both houses. They didn’t pass an increase that there was no great woke agenda.

I agree he should. He should absolutely make the rates more progressive. Its disappointing, but yet he has done more than R's are capable of. They cant even pass continuing resolutions.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
The piece was poorly written considering the author fails to mention how Disney's Market Cap surged from 174 to 358 during the pandemic. Disney + passed Netflix in subscribers, and the cap climbed to its highest total ever during that time. Once everyone returned to normal routines, streaming numbers fell as did the market cap.
In March 2020 cap was 174, now, it is at 158.
I am sure some people no longer consume Disney products because of their culture war stances, but to infer that Disney lost 200 Billion in market cap because of them being "woke" is simple minded

Last edited:
Disney is a special company. The current CEO is more of an accountant. They really need someone with an Entertainment background overseeing the big picture.

The piece was poorly written considering the author fails to mention how Disney's Market Cap surged from 174 to 358 during the pandemic. Disney + passed Netflix in subscribers, and the cap climbed to its highest total ever during that time. Once everyone returned to normal routines, streaming numbers fell as did the market cap.
I am sure some people no longer consume Disney products because of their culture war stances, but to infer that Disney lost 200 Billion in market cap because of them being "woke" is simple minded

its almost as misleading as given Biden all the credit for job growth in 2021.

Disney has been flatlining for a while now. I am a fan of Disney in the past, but the content simply hasn’t been very good lately. I’m not sure if that is due to wokeness, whatever that is, but it just hasn’t been good and they are losing subscribers because of it. Disney stock is now at the same price it was 10 years ago.

Disney is a special company. The current CEO is more of an accountant. They really need someone with an Entertainment background overseeing the big picture.

Iger was in charge during disneys best stretch in decades. Bringing him back was a smart decision to take over the train wreck of his predecessor.

Some people? Look at the numbers and the losses and even a simple minded person would come to the conclusion that being woke is at the root of Disneys demise.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Iger was in charge during disneys best stretch in decades. Bringing him back was a smart decision to take over the train wreck of his predecessor.
They need to look at everything and keep the customers experience in mind. Not just free them from their money. Everyone shits on the Disney Parks experience. That should be a giant red flag to a hospitality business.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Why do you put down black people?

John Krasinski GIF

They need to look at everything and keep the customers experience in mind. Not just free them from their money. Everyone shits on the Disney Parks experience. That should be a giant red flag to a hospitality business.

Oh, I completely agree. Disney needs a complete overhaul IMO. I will be at disneyland in a couple weeks for the first time in quite some time. Will be at universal the next day. Will be comparing the 2.

Oh, I completely agree. Disney needs a complete overhaul IMO. I will be at disneyland in a couple weeks for the first time in quite some time. Will be at universal the next day. Will be comparing the 2.
Universal is far and away superior. Disney needs to put a hard cap on the amount of people that can visit the park during busy season. That would be step one. The next would be reduce the reservations for rides. It really all comes down to trying to cram as many people as possible into the parks. They are in the long term good will business. Once they do away with earning and maintaining good will. It bleeds over into other ventures. Such as Marvel, Star Wars, movies etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: luvmyhawks
Disney's decline has little to do with the 'woke' backlash, IMO.

Disney's handling of ESPN has been a nightmare. They misjudge who the real on-air talent is, and pay the no-talent guys stupid salaries, while pushing out the real-talent guys. They jack up rates and carriage rates without truly thinking through what the reaction will be from the public. They try to force viewer habits instead of anticipating shifts in viewer habits and having plans to adapt.

On the them park side, they let their greed rule with ever changing policies and massive price hikes. Guess what? People weigh how long they will stand in line against the admission price. Less people arrive, and Disney tries to make up the revenue by raising prices even more. Someone clearly doesn't understand price elasticity of demand, and the relationship to guest satisfaction.

Yeah, Disney, make kids movies that cater to the vocal minority with scenes that are better suited to a PG13 audience. Why do that? The people pushing the social changes probably aren't the people attending movies targeted for small children. If you want to appease that vocal minority, instead of changing your overall philosophy, produce a movie targeted for that vocal minority and leave everything else alone.

Bottom line is that Disney is tone deaf. They've lost track of what has made each of their businesses successful. They think they know better than their customers what their customers actually want.

Disney, and every other large company, should stay away from controversial social and political issues. Love everyone and don't choose a side.

What issues does the GOP run on?
1. Deep belly laughter, in unison, whenever some one yells “Let’s Go Brandon!”
2. States rights, except for when a state wants to do something they don’t like.
3. Honoring the constitution, except for when Trump would like it suspended.

Nothing regarding policy, initiatives, or bettering the life of the average american …no meat on that bone.

Last edited:
its almost as misleading as given Biden all the credit for job growth in 2021.

Disney has been flatlining for a while now. I am a fan of Disney in the past, but the content simply hasn’t been very good lately. I’m not sure if that is due to wokeness, whatever that is, but it just hasn’t been good and they are losing subscribers because of it. Disney stock is now at the same price it was 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what the Biden comment has to do with my post, I have never credited Biden with job growth in 2021 or any other year for that matter.

The business of children's entertainment has little to do with what’s good for kids. It has everything to do with money, followed by the left's narrative. What’s interesting is that, over the last few years, that narrative quietly crawled into the dominant position.

Money took a backseat because companies like Disney were still making plenty of it. That is no longer happening. CEO Bob Iger understands this. It is the reason Disney brought him back, frankly -- to correct course given the financial turmoil Disney finds itself in today. It was prior CEO Bob Chapek who called Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to express his disapproval of the so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, which actually protects young children from being exposed to the LGBT agenda and other inappropriate sexual material at school. That phenomenal mistake drew DeSantis' ire and placed Disney at the epicenter of the culture war, and it ultimately came at the cost of the company's self-governing status in Florida.

The return of Iger was the only solution. With Disney having suffered a 56 percent market cap plunge resulting in losses of nearly $200 billion, Iger must answer to investors. Disney's "not-at-all-secret gay agenda" obviously isn't paying dividends or bolstering the bottom line. The new strategy, Iger told investors at a Tuesday meeting, is to "quiet the noise" and pull out of the culture war. “Our primary mission needs to be to entertain ... and to have a positive impact on the world,” Iger said during the meeting, according to Reuters. “I’m very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven." The line Iger is walking is extremely thin. Flush with woke executives, writers and stars, the entertainment industry in which Disney is a leading player is attached at the hip to the LGBT movement. But Iger knows Disney can't survive on its current trajectory. He has no choice but to change course, at least temporarily, and rely on the public's short memory to get the Mouse House back on solid financial ground.

Why Is Disney Struggling? This Warren Buffett Quote Explains It Perfectly​

It's been a rough few years for Disney (DIS -0.78%).

Despite the stock market boom during the first half of the year, shares are trading near their 52-week lows, and the stock is below where it was before the pandemic even as the broad market has gained substantially since then.

In fact, Disney has underperformed the market over any time frame over the last 10 years, and it's no secret why. The company has struggled with the transition from linear TV to streaming, which was hastened by the pandemic.

Hmmmm. No mention of Woke.
Somebody better wake Warren up.

Despite the stock market boom during the first half of the year, shares are trading near their 52-week lows, and the stock is below where it was before the pandemic even as the broad market has gained substantially since then.

In fact, Disney has underperformed the market over any time frame over the last 10 years, and it's no secret why. The company has struggled with the transition from linear TV to streaming, which was hastened by the pandemic.

What is strange is you not believing it could be connected. Disney has lost their ass on their streaming service Disney plus.

B
I only read the first couple paragraphs from the OP, and stopped reading when it was obvious. It was a very slanted piece.

But I can honestly say, I do not want to live in a country or world where making money is the top priority, let alone the only one.
But living in a world where getting men into women's sports and locker rooms and having trans folk running our grade schools is a top priority for you?

If Buffett didn't mention it than it must not be true, huh TheCainer? :D

Buffett is almost 100 years old and probably thinks "woke" means someone shook you to wake up out of bed.

Warren should concentrate on settling all of his and his corporate tax issues currently before the IRS.

Buffett is almost 100 years old and probably thinks "woke" means someone shook you to wake up out of bed.

Warren should concentrate on settling all of his and his corporate tax issues currently before the IRS.
Maybe you should do the same.

I’ll never forgive Disney for what they did to the new Star Wars trilogy.
I forgive them because they've made some pretty good star wars since then but man they really ****ed that trilogy up. The 2nd and 3rd movie are literally unwatchable for me.

I guarantee you buffet is up on social issues and whether or not they affect certain industries.

B

But living in a world where getting men into women's sports and locker rooms and having trans folk running our grade schools is a top priority for you?
A priority? No. But those two things won’t ruin a nation like corporate greed will.

And what’s wrong with trans people being principals and superintendents?

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
The business of children's entertainment has little to do with what’s good for kids. It has everything to do with money, followed by the left's narrative. What’s interesting is that, over the last few years, that narrative quietly crawled into the dominant position.

Money took a backseat because companies like Disney were still making plenty of it. That is no longer happening. CEO Bob Iger understands this. It is the reason Disney brought him back, frankly -- to correct course given the financial turmoil Disney finds itself in today. It was prior CEO Bob Chapek who called Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to express his disapproval of the so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, which actually protects young children from being exposed to the LGBT agenda and other inappropriate sexual material at school. That phenomenal mistake drew DeSantis' ire and placed Disney at the epicenter of the culture war, and it ultimately came at the cost of the company's self-governing status in Florida.

The return of Iger was the only solution. With Disney having suffered a 56 percent market cap plunge resulting in losses of nearly $200 billion, Iger must answer to investors. Disney's "not-at-all-secret gay agenda" obviously isn't paying dividends or bolstering the bottom line. The new strategy, Iger told investors at a Tuesday meeting, is to "quiet the noise" and pull out of the culture war. “Our primary mission needs to be to entertain ... and to have a positive impact on the world,” Iger said during the meeting, according to Reuters. “I’m very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven." The line Iger is walking is extremely thin. Flush with woke executives, writers and stars, the entertainment industry in which Disney is a leading player is attached at the hip to the LGBT movement. But Iger knows Disney can't survive on its current trajectory. He has no choice but to change course, at least temporarily, and rely on the public's short memory to get the Mouse House back on solid financial ground.

Makes sense. I've been telling the left that they're over doing it for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT