Disney appears to be backing down to RDS

KFsdisciple

HR Legend
Jul 3, 2003

Disney to ‘quiet the noise’ in culture wars amid Ron DeSantis feud: Bob Iger​

By
Reuters
Published Sep. 20, 2023, 1:41 p.m. ET

Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors the company will “quiet the noise” in a culture war that has pitted social conservatives against the global media and entertainment conglomerate, according to an analyst note on Wednesday.

Iger’s brief statement, included in an analyst report from Needham media analyst Laura Martin, was part of an investors’ presentation on Tuesday at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, in which the CEO also announced Disney will double its investment in theme parks and cruise ships over the next decade.

Disney is struggling to make its streaming business profitable, improve the quality of its films, position its flagship sports brand, ESPN, to stream directly to consumers, and potentially shed its television networks. In its most recent quarter, the company beat Wall Street’s profit expectations but fell short on revenue.

Disney declined to comment.

The entertainment company was thrust at the center of the nation’s culture wars in 2022, when it publicly criticized Florida legislation restricting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Gov. Ron DeSantis responded by campaigning against “woke Disney,” and working with the state legislature to strip it of self-governing authority over the parks.

Florida and Disney are locked in a legal battle over the formation of the Central Florida Oversight District board, which assumed oversight of development in the nearly 25,000 acres of property in and around Disney’s theme parks.

It is unclear how much of the $60 billion in new investment in parks will be spent in Florida, where Disney faces increased competition from rivals such as Universal Orlando Resort. Iger previously said the company planned to spend $17 billion in investment at Walt Disney World over the next 10 years.

Disney has suffered a bruising battle that has played out in Florida and at box office, where it faced social media backlash over the casting of Halle Bailey, a black actress, in the lead role of Ariel in “The Little Mermaid.”

Several countries last year blocked the release of the Pixar Animation Studios film “Lightyear,” which depicts a same-sex couple sharing a brief kiss.

Iger’s remarks about its content appear to mirror those he made at the company’s annual shareholder meeting in April.

At the time, Iger was responding to an investor, who said Disney had evolved from “a place of magic for children” to an “ideological company serving the LGBTQ” community that promoted a “woke agenda.”

“Our primary mission needs to be to entertain … and to have a positive impact on the world,” Iger said at the time. “I’m very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven.”

pepsi-eyes.gif

One of the other dingalings in your tribe beat you to it.

pepsi-eyes.gif

One of the other dingalings in your tribe beat you to it.

A story so good, it's worth posting twice!

Somhow is Iger’s comments “a win” for De Santos? I’m not from Florida....it seems to me the Igor is saying Disney will concentrate on making money. Other than getting his ass beat in public, what does De Santos “win”?

Somhow is Iger’s comments “a win” for De Santos? I’m not from Florida....it seems to me the Igor is saying Disney will concentrate on making money. Other than getting his ass beat in public, what does De Santos “win”?
Iger saying Disney needs to focus on being good not social issues, Disney still upgrading their parks in Florida bringing new jobs, not moving the parks from Florida....all the stuff the dems attacked RDS for, none of its happening.

Disney knows they have/had a sweetheart deal in Florida for 80 years, and they kinda screwed that up.

Iger saying Disney needs to focus on being good not social issues, Disney still upgrading their parks in Florida bringing new jobs, not moving the parks from Florida....all the stuff the dems attacked RDS for, none of its happening.

Disney knows they have/had a sweetheart deal in Florida for 80 years, and they kinda screwed that up.
Everything you said is wrong. Asshat.

Disney would be wise to get back to doing what they do best. Nobody is interested in their other nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: mnHawk8
Their catalog of content and profits suggest otherwise.
You clearly haven't been paying attention to disney or their performance over the last few years, huh? Do you realize how much money they're losing (yes, losing!) On films these days? Hundreds of millions lost on Indiana Jones. Pixar has lost hundreds of millions on their recent productions and star wars as a franchise has record low viewership. They're bleeding streaming subscribers and the conservative pushback to culture war stances of the company are the cherry on top.

All that said I think this has more to do with Bob being in absolute damage control mode before the board fires him. His scapegoat is gone, and kennedy being fired only rights the ship so much. Overall disney got lazy and recycles content or pushes woke garbage and bad quality on new projects. They deserve every bit of backlash and criticism they get imo.

Reactions: Sharky1203
Disney would be wise to get back to doing what they do best. Nobody is interested in their other nonsense.
Seems to me that Disney was “doing what they were doing” and De Santos didn’t like what they were doing....wasn’t this how Disney treated its employees and took a “social position” supporting their position....and De Santos felt Disney was out of place?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Seems to me that Disney was “doing what they were doing” and De Santos didn’t like what they were doing....wasn’t this how Disney treated its employees and took a “social position” supporting their position....and De Santos felt Disney was out of place?
Here we go with Joel desperately starting his daily brush fire.
This one’s not catching sweetie. Go take your meds and Metamucil okay?
The performer/characters employees in Cali were the ones who Loudly objected to what they were wrongly calling “don’t say gay” legislation passed by the Florida
legislature.
Separately their other business units are going through some challenging issues. Their ABC/ESPN division is dealing with the move to streaming.
Their movies have been mixed successes at the box office. We’ll see how the latest offering “The Creator” does.
Hopefully the stars of this one won’t run their mouths like the new Snow White did and doom the movie at the Box office.
Disney will figure it out. Market forces still work.

Here we go with Joel desperately starting his daily brush fire.
This one’s not catching sweetie. Go take your meds and Metamucil okay?
The performer/characters employees in Cali were the ones who Loudly objected to what they were wrongly calling “don’t say gay” legislation passed by the Florida
legislature.
Separately their other business units are going through some challenging issues. Their ABC/ESPN division is dealing with the move to streaming.
Their movies have been mixed successes at the box office. We’ll see how the latest offering “The Creator” does.
Hopefully the stars of this one won’t run their mouths like the new Snow White did and doom the movie at the Box office.
Disney will figure it out. Market forces still work.
OK mom...if it started in Cali, why did DeSantis get involved? Is it because he did not like the position Disney was taking? Doesn’t a business have some obligation, even some right to support its employees? Or does a “sweet heart deal” nullify that?

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
OK mom...if it started in Cali, why did DeSantis get involved? Is it because he did not like the position Disney was taking? Doesn’t a business have some obligation, even some right to support its employees? Or does a “sweet heart deal” nullify that?
Because the Cali performers were picketing the Disney executive offices for the company and those are in…Cali.
The way Government works is that if a Legislative body passes a law the Executive officer (Governor) signs it.

Because the Cali performers were picketing the Disney executive offices for the company and those are in…Cali.
The way Government works is that if a Legislative body passes a law the Executive officer (Governor) signs it.
So, they were picketing in Florida because that’s where the Disney Exec office’s are located? Right? Even though the issue wa a Cali issue, right? In a disjointed way, it seems legit...but De Santos objected....why?

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
So, they were picketing in Florida because that’s where the Disney Exec office’s are located? Right? Even though the issue wa a Cali issue, right? In a disjointed way, it seems legit...but De Santos objected....why?
No they were picketing in Cali where the Exec offices are located. Re-read what I posted.
It was a FL issue. The biggest fuss was from the LGBTQ+ people among those performers. Planned and staged from the jump.
Learn to spell Governor DeSantis and try harder to master the facts. If you still can.

No they were picketing in Cali where the Exec offices are located. Re-read what I posted.
It was a FL issue. The biggest fuss was from the LGBTQ+ people among those performers. Planned and staged from the jump.
Learn to spell Governor DeSantis and try harder to master the facts. If you still can.
Honest mom, why would I give a rats-ass about a Cali issue? Land of fruits and nuts...if they were picketing in Cali, why should DeSantos give a shit? Is he that sensitive? DeSantos and Kimmy are two of a kind...I can see why they are political buddies.,And honestly mom, the facts here are still foreign to me...I don’t understand why DeSantos got and gets, so bent out of shape with LQBQ issues....,He’s kinda like the farmers here who are upset with Cali because of their new space regulations to rIse pork to be sold in Cali.....It’s Calis riles, let them live with the consequences...Perhaps the issue is that Cali seems to be living quite well with all their “restrictive rules and regulations”?

Disney to ‘quiet the noise’ in culture wars amid Ron DeSantis feud: Bob Iger​

By
Reuters
Published Sep. 20, 2023, 1:41 p.m. ET

Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors the company will “quiet the noise” in a culture war that has pitted social conservatives against the global media and entertainment conglomerate, according to an analyst note on Wednesday.

Iger’s brief statement, included in an analyst report from Needham media analyst Laura Martin, was part of an investors’ presentation on Tuesday at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, in which the CEO also announced Disney will double its investment in theme parks and cruise ships over the next decade.

Disney is struggling to make its streaming business profitable, improve the quality of its films, position its flagship sports brand, ESPN, to stream directly to consumers, and potentially shed its television networks. In its most recent quarter, the company beat Wall Street’s profit expectations but fell short on revenue.

Disney declined to comment.

The entertainment company was thrust at the center of the nation’s culture wars in 2022, when it publicly criticized Florida legislation restricting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Gov. Ron DeSantis responded by campaigning against “woke Disney,” and working with the state legislature to strip it of self-governing authority over the parks.

Florida and Disney are locked in a legal battle over the formation of the Central Florida Oversight District board, which assumed oversight of development in the nearly 25,000 acres of property in and around Disney’s theme parks.

It is unclear how much of the $60 billion in new investment in parks will be spent in Florida, where Disney faces increased competition from rivals such as Universal Orlando Resort. Iger previously said the company planned to spend $17 billion in investment at Walt Disney World over the next 10 years.

Disney has suffered a bruising battle that has played out in Florida and at box office, where it faced social media backlash over the casting of Halle Bailey, a black actress, in the lead role of Ariel in “The Little Mermaid.”

Several countries last year blocked the release of the Pixar Animation Studios film “Lightyear,” which depicts a same-sex couple sharing a brief kiss.

Iger’s remarks about its content appear to mirror those he made at the company’s annual shareholder meeting in April.

At the time, Iger was responding to an investor, who said Disney had evolved from “a place of magic for children” to an “ideological company serving the LGBTQ” community that promoted a “woke agenda.”

“Our primary mission needs to be to entertain … and to have a positive impact on the world,” Iger said at the time. “I’m very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven.”
michael-keaton-hand-job.gif

Reactions: lucas80

LOL, why don't we hear DeSantis crowing about his victory? Why has he dropped the issue, and begged Disney to drop their lawsuit?
He shit his pants, and lost bigly in this fight.

She learned how to be a lock step right wing douche from here asshole and puss I Father.

LOL, why don't we hear DeSantis crowing about his victory? Why has he dropped the issue, and begged Disney to drop their lawsuit?
RDS won by 20 points, Disney/ESPN can't pay their on air talent...I think I know who is losing bigly

Honest mom, why would I give a rats-ass about a Cali issue? Land of fruits and nuts...if they were picketing in Cali, why should DeSantos give a shit? Is he that sensitive? DeSantos and Kimmy are two of a kind...I can see why they are political buddies.,And honestly mom, the facts here are still foreign to me...I don’t understand why DeSantos got and gets, so bent out of shape with LQBQ issues....,He’s kinda like the farmers here who are upset with Cali because of their new space regulations to rIse pork to be sold in Cali.....It’s Calis riles, let them live with the consequences...Perhaps the issue is that Cali seems to be living quite well with all their “restrictive rules and regulations”?
You’re either deliberately being obtuse or you’re just an old fart who doesn’t understand.
Now go take your nap.

Why would he spend time on it? Seriously?

You’re either deliberately being obtuse or you’re just an old fart who doesn’t understand.
Now go take your nap.
No mom. I’m not being obtuse...I fail to see wht DeSantos decided to get involved in a California matter. Your Gov got involved because he had decided to run for President and saw this as a solid “red meat” issue for the MAGA base he so desperately covets. Maybe after he retires from politics, he could move to Ioway, start a pig farm, raise pork and complain about how California restricts his right to sell his product there unless it meets certain Cali specs.

No mom. I’m not being obtuse...I fail to see wht DeSantos decided to get involved in a California matter. Your Gov got involved because he had decided to run for President and saw this as a solid “red meat” issue for the MAGA base he so desperately covets. Maybe after he retires from politics, he could move to Ioway, start a pig farm, raise pork and complain about how California restricts his right to sell his product there unless it meets certain Cali specs.
My God you really are sinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT