ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone see Brands' post-tournament interview?

what gets me is 'perception'.

cornell or tech places X and Y and the perception is that they are 'rolling'. excitement about the program. strong vibes.

Iowa does about as good and the sky is falling.

the narrative / perception is odd.
Go study Alabama football, Georgia football and get back to us. You might just find the Iowa fanbase as mild, all wrestling fanbases are wonderful for the sport, though you will do all you can to stroke the fire between fanbases. You aren't an independent journalist. You simply are a schill that goes with whoever pays you the most in sponsorship. You are not a carrier of the sport you make a living off of.

every post you makes shows your stupidity...
Did I kick your dog? Or are you just thin skinned and can't accept reality. I'm amazed at how Iowans think they're so kind and understanding yet they're in general just an angry unaccepting bunch of people. And I am one of you but I'm not you. Perception is so different from reality. I've never met a closeted, unaccepting, angry people so much who just lie to themselves.

I'm not talking about the perception of the fans in here. If you weren't a spastic child and could actually follow the thread it would be clear I was referring to recruits as nu2u and Weh8 posited.

I'm on a plane rn or id write more. Even at the risk of dividi g the country.

Until then go read the great junior writers at flo or make an appointment with a therapist

Did I kick your dog? Or are you just thin skinned and can't accept reality. I'm amazed at how Iowans think they're so kind and understanding yet they're in general just an angry unaccepting bunch of people. And I am one of you but I'm not you. Perception is so different from reality. I've never met a closeted, unaccepting, angry people so much who just lie to themselves.
probably just thinned skinned... I am also very good at lying to myself... You are not me is very correct. You say we are angry yet you just went after Willie (a guy who spends 24-7 in the wrestling world and about 1000 connections) saying he knows less that junior writers at flo??? That's pretty closeted and unaccepting don't you think? Please explain how your know;lege is so much higher than his???

Go study Alabama football, Georgia football and get back to us. You might just find the Iowa fanbase as mild, all wrestling fanbases are wonderful for the sport, though you will do all you can to stroke the fire between fanbases. You aren't an independent journalist. You simply are a schill that goes with whoever pays you the most in sponsorship. You are not a carrier of the sport you make a living off of.
JFC, yep not angry, closeted or unaccepting... LMAO

probably just thinned skinned... I am also very good at lying to myself... You are not me is very correct. You say we are angry yet you just went after Willie (a guy who spends 24-7 in the wrestling world and about 1000 connections) saying he knows less that junior writers at flo??? That's pretty closeted and unaccepting don't you think? Please explain how your know;lege is so much higher than his???
It's not. I judge impartially. I don't care if you read Willie or like them as a journalist I don't. I love reading wrestling websites. I love going to other fan bases sites and reading their takes. I don't comment on what they say. I like to know what they see about the sport, their own wrestlers. That's how I learn. I'm not even the smartest man in the room. I know that then and you can admit it. I simply just don't like Willie, I don't like the brand he puts out. And I'm not telling you who to read or enjoy. I simply give my viewpoint. And now I don't care what you think or feel this is not a sport based on emotions. It's based on results. Do I care about you as a person and your well-being and health, of course. I would love to see you flourish and healthy and happy, The sport is not made for people who are thin-skinned. And by the way, the further I've gotten for Iowa since I left at 24, the more I realize that Iowans just aren't as loving and accepting as they make themselves out to be.

Reactions: el dub
i think they are absolutely capable of a resurrection. to me it just comes down to whether they are willing to acknowledge some changes are needed.
Agree.
Love him as a Hawk but would like to see M* move on. Moving Terry to HWC could also help but minimum M* move.

Reactions: foxb and Hawkgma
It's not. I judge impartially. I don't care if you read Willie or like them as a journalist I don't. I love reading wrestling websites. I love going to other fan bases sites and reading their takes. I don't comment on what they say. I like to know what they see about the sport, their own wrestlers. That's how I learn. I'm not even the smartest man in the room. I know that then and you can admit it. I simply just don't like Willie, I don't like the brand he puts out. And I'm not telling you who to read or enjoy. I simply give my viewpoint. And now I don't care what you think or feel this is not a sport based on emotions. It's based on results. Do I care about you as a person and your well-being and health, of course. I would love to see you flourish and healthy and happy, The sport is not made for people who are thin-skinned. And by the way, the further I've gotten for Iowa since I left at 24, the more I realize that Iowans just aren't as loving and accepting as they make themselves out to be.
You might be a litte more thin skinned than you think... You are acting like people can't complain about wrestling and still be happy people. Maybe take a step off the cliff my man.

That being said... you seem like a nice person.. I hope all the best for you as well.. Its just wrestling and its a lot of fun to talk about and get worked up over... have a great week!

What do you think?
I honestly don't think Davis is a bad wrestler. I do However feel he was pumped up and pushed by PSU and the media as the next 125 champion and now the Baby Faced Assassin not only fell short but was bounced completely out of the tournament and the PSU fans are already looking to replace him with Lillendahl for next season. Maybe Nagao has to give back some of the NIL $ he got since he didn't deliver either ??? Would these two fall under the category of wrestlers who regressed since arriving at PSU ? I mean if Woods Regressed then these 2 should fall into that category as well. I am sure Cael probably has another 133lber or maybe 3 to replace him with.

cornell or tech places X and Y and the perception is that they are 'rolling'. excitement about the program. strong vibes.

This is the dumbest, and perhaps poorest though out post I have seen in quite a long time. Considering the source, why would anyone pay for content coming from someone's brain that generated this statement?

This is the dumbest, and perhaps poorest though out post I have seen in quite a long time. Considering the source, why would anyone pay for content coming from someone's brain that generated this statement?
whats wrong with what he said?

Did I kick your dog? Or are you just thin skinned and can't accept reality. I'm amazed at how Iowans think they're so kind and understanding yet they're in general just an angry unaccepting bunch of people. And I am one of you but I'm not you. Perception is so different from reality. I've never met a closeted, unaccepting, angry people so much who just lie to themselve
You might be a litte more thin skinned than you think... You are acting like people can't complain about wrestling and still be happy people. Maybe take a step off the cliff my man.

That being said... you seem like a nice person.. I hope all the best for you as well.. Its just wrestling and its a lot of fun to talk about and get worked up over... have a great week!
Sounds like Herky needs to be a little more Jerky to toughen that skin.

Sounds like Herky needs to be a little more Jerky to toughen that skin.
Sure, my whole point of existing is simply to have people like you commenting about what I say. I don't comment on people, I comment on topic. We now live in a world where people just judge others by the simplest stroke of conversation. They don't look at the topic. They judge an emotion, Nothing gets resolved. Nothing can be conversed. This whole place becomes better when I push against, whether to be told right or wrong I simply don't care, This world isn't meant to be static. It's supposed to evolve and be better. Be better, or not And just in general I've found people who don't respond to the topic of conversation and just respond with bluster tend to have thinner skin than all others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trapper85
And by the way, the further I've gotten for Iowa since I left at 24, the more I realize that Iowans just aren't as loving and accepting as they make themselves out to be.
We all have different experiences and I’m not sure where you live now, but I have probably lived in 10 states. I have to think Iowans in general are some of the nicest, most caring people around. Having said that, the wrestling fan base may be a bit different, and this board would be a lot more “loving and accepting” with a bit of moderation. But Iowans in general are great.

We all have different experiences and I’m not sure where you live now, but I have probably lived in 10 states. I have to think Iowans in general are some of the nicest, most caring people around. Having said that, the wrestling fan base may be a bit different, and this board would be a lot more “loving and accepting” with a bit of moderation. But Iowans in general are great.
True, in general, Iowan's are great people, though the sporting populations of all tends to be a microcosm of negative emotions. No patience or understanding. I was born in Bethesda, Maryland. My parents divorced when I was less than a year old. I moved to Davenport with my mother at nine months. Grew up there. Burlington, went to Northern Iowa, move to Texas and Florida and then California have been to 23 states. I found that people in West Virginia tend to be the kindest and most understanding, people in the Midwest tend to be similar. People in California are actually the worst. I only try to carry my Iowa principles everywhere I go but I am can't even say that their Iowa principles. I just try to carry myself the best I can. You seem like a very kind and thoughtful person and I appreciate that. If the the world only had that, had people like you to have discussions with, without anger or frustration. Complete understanding this world would be a whole lot better. And I do prefer to be found I am incorrect, it's the only way to become a better person. All the troglodytes on here, the throwing up and knashing teeth of them all, can not be saved so I couldn't care less for the unmovable object they reside in.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Davis is a bad wrestler. I do However feel he was pumped up and pushed by PSU and the media as the next 125 champion and now the Baby Faced Assassin not only fell short but was bounced completely out of the tournament and the PSU fans are already looking to replace him with Lillendahl for next season. Maybe Nagao has to give back some of the NIL $ he got since he didn't deliver either ??? Would these two fall under the category of wrestlers who regressed since arriving at PSU ? I mean if Woods Regressed then these 2 should fall into that category as well. I am sure Cael probably has another 133lber or maybe 3 to replace him with.
That is just silly. Davis was in on the winning double and had the eventually national champion push it to a scramble that he barely lost. Davis's other loss was equally close. All as a true freshman who wasn't even the starter at the beginning of the year. Anyone on the PSU board who is kicking him to the curb is a fool.

Davis might Redshirt next year, just as might Lilledahl, but make no mistake the two will be back to back killers at 125 & 133 for years to come. No guarantees as to who mans either weight, but it is definitely not an either or situation.

The odd man out is more likely Nagao. He has some curious postitional feel problems, and struggles in scrambles against top competition. He is probably a go next year while someone RSs below, or maybe he moves up, but there are certainly no guarantees there. Either Bartlett comes back or Kasak goes back down. The Kasak option gets my vote.

so does Cael escape any heat because his 125lber was seeded #1 and Davis FAILED to even place at all ?? or does that get over shadowed by the rest of the guys winning ? I mean did Davis have to be replaced by the next guy who was recruited over him or does he get to stay and blame his losses on the Head Coach or was it the Assistant coaches fault ? Oh that's right that would be how it goes at Iowa...as soon as a loss occurs it means the sky is falling and off with everybody's heads !! Yes we can make improvements moving forward but bitching about the past is stale and non productive. Lets focus on some positive aspects and build from there.... all of the whining and complaining isn't going to sway the AD on any decisions and it certainly wont help encourage any recruits to want to wrestle here.
Is Davis' 2024 tournament the trend or the exception? When you're setting the scoring record, you get a tiny bit of leeway that the coach with 67 points doesn't get. Also, it's not just about one year. Look at the past decade plus.

Last edited:
For some reason, most of the top ranked recruits do not want to wrestle for Iowa.

Why?

It seems to me that answering that question is fundamental.
200w.gif

• Haha
i gave a compliment. the compliment was misconstrued at which time i was called an idiot. then i laughed at the misinterpretation. and now i'm dividing a nation.

that's where we're at in this thread?

lmfao.
You could always leave this forum, but you won't.

You need the cred and "hits".

LOL

I agree. I am not ready to give up on TNT but they have to get out of their comfort zone and make the necessary changes to start competing again. They can start by moving on from Morningstar and Telford.

-Whatever we are doing for recruiting isn't working.
-Whatever we are doing to work on finishing shots and scrambling in tough positions isn't working.
-Whatever we are doing with our strength and recovery program isn't working

Nothing can change until Tom is truly willing to admit there are problems. We have a new state-of-the-art facility coming and we can't squander that opportunity to pull in top talent, both for Iowa wrestling and the HWC. These changes in Iowa City need to happen immediately or Iowa needs to start looking for new leadership.
-Whatever we are doing for recruiting isn't working.
I think we're seeing the staff try different approaches. We were recruiting Pennsylvania hard for a few years and got a good chunk of our lineup from there. But the guys we were getting (other than Spencer) weren't the elite PN recruits. Kem was great, but not Nolf great. Murin became an AA but wouldn't sniff PSU's lineup. We know we're not going to catch PSU with PSU's leftovers, but there are so many great wrestlers out there you've got to keep that up.

Illinois is our best hotbed. They have a ton of great wrestlers and no programs worth wrestling for.

Above all, it looked like Iowa wrestling was on an uptick so we recruited a lot of Iowa. Rathjen had a win over Levi Haines before he got to IC, that's a kid you'd be a fool not to recruit. Ayala has worked out. Jesuroga was a can't miss commit that quit wrestling. Jury is out on Kueter, Block, and Riggins.

Our portal has been good.

The Ferrari experiment has been a massive failure and a black eye on the program.

-Whatever we are doing to work on finishing shots and scrambling in tough positions isn't working.
I agree and I'd also add, our top position needs as much work as our scrambling. PSU has a formula with that claw ride that every guy in their lineup is a nightmare getting out from on the bottom. Iowa has no identity on top.

I don't see our strength program as a problem at all. Our guys are strong and in shape. The last two seasons we went to the post season as healthy as any team in the nation.

You will get many different responses but this will be the only CORRECT one.

Resurrection with the current coaching staff? NO!
Resurrection with different assistants? Yes.

Burn it down to the ground if there are no coaching changes.

TO.THE.GROUND.

agreed 100%. There seems to be a large disparity between the quality of assistant coaches Iowa has vs. the other top teams.

It would be AWESOME if David Taylor is truly be pursued by Beth, as stated on another thread, and if he says yes.

it's difficult to imagine how awesome that would be. Seeing Dtaylor on our side of the mat ... in black and gold ... wrestling in the room with Caliendo, Brands, young Ferrari, etc.

Come on Beth!!!!!!

Not really ... any movement up for Cornell and VTech is very positive because of where they're starting.

any movement down for Iowa is very negative because of how high the program got and stayed there for decades

I don't see our strength program as a problem at all. Our guys are strong and in shape. The last two seasons we went to the post season as healthy as any team in the nation.

I think you hit on some good points, particularly on the health side. Not so sure about the strength side--by and large we aren't the bullies out there we used to be from a strength standpoint so I do see firepower as a concern.

Additionally, and maybe this is a bigger issue, we just do not seem to have the ability to either cut effectively or add mass effectively over an offseason. Is it training, nutrition, etc. or is it planning/focus...that I don't know...but other teams seem to be able to manage this but most times when we try we are told "it is too big of a cut" or "he has trouble gaining muscle." Or my personal favorite "he has dense bones."

you guys can't deduce what i'm saying and I'm the one that's obtuse?

lol.
You said there is a perception issue (which there may very well be) but then use Cornell as an example and wonder why an Iowa board sees a problem with it. I would offer this as a comparison, if Iowa was perceived as a superior academic school because of a few years of success, and Cornell fell lower than past standards over that same period of time, how exactly do you think the Cornell elites would perceive the comparison to Iowa?

Not really ... any movement up for Cornell and VTech is very positive because of where they're starting.

any movement down for Iowa is very negative because of how high the program got and stayed there for decades
oh dear lord baby jesus.

i just refuted that train.

what's the percentage of people on this board that can read posts and compartmentalize the convo/points?

i mean this has devolved into not just terrible discourse, but basic, fundamental 'following the ball'

• Haha
Reactions: bammhawk1
oh dear lord baby jesus.

what's the percentage of people on this board that can read posts and compartmentalize the convo/points?

i mean this has devolved into not just terrible discourse, but basic, fundamental 'following the ball'

I can't find where this refutation happened.

Where is it?

Thanks.

oh dear lord baby jesus.

Was gonna say your head looks like a ball, but I have more class than that (just kidding). In all seriousness, I'm not great at following the ball (which is why I chose wrestling), but you said you were referring to recruits' perceptions rather than the fans' perceptions, correct?

If so and if the perceptions of recruits really are that negative, in general, toward Iowa right now, why are we surprised by this? Look at how the careers of many (vast majority maybe) of the past several Iowa blue chippers and stud transfers ended at Iowa.

Spencer fails in his quest for 4.
Kemmerer gets overcome by Starocci.
Warner slides down the podium.
Eierman overcome by Nick Lee and doesn't place due to injury.
Woods slides down the podium.
Franek slides down the podium.
Marinelli never wrestling near his best at NCAAs.
Cassioppi not wrestling due to gambling fiasco.
Brands not wrestling due to gambling fiasco (though, it sounds like he may be back next year).

Throw in the Ferraris and the circus act at the soldier salute for good measure. Are we seeing those same trends with VT or Cornell?

Your three bullets are spot on imo. I'm not on the fire Tom train at all, but he absolutely needs to make changes in these areas. They are the glaring weaknesses for Iowa right now. I do think Tom is willing to change and has. We were as healthy going into this NCAA tourney as we have been in years. If you are going to blame Tom for everyone being banged up, he should get credit when they are healthy too.
Also, those suspended wrestlers would bring some points at Nationals as well - so we would be safe 2nd. However, still way behind PSU, and that is a reality now...

Also, those suspended wrestlers would bring some points at Nationals as well - so we would be safe 2nd. However, still way behind PSU, and that is a reality now...
are you sure about that??? Would those wrestlers be better this year or regress like others this year??? Nelson would add some points because 184 was so dreadful for us this year (love riggins but out of his weightclass) The heavies were as good as ever... Cass going to AA this year?? you cant say for a fact.

are you sure about that??? Would those wrestlers be better this year or regress like others this year??? Nelson would add some points because 184 was so dreadful for us this year (love riggins but out of his weightclass) The heavies were as good as ever... Cass going to AA this year?? you cant say for a fact.
Cass would be AA, in my opinion, at least...

You said there is a perception issue (which there may very well be) but then use Cornell as an example and wonder why an Iowa board sees a problem with it. I would offer this as a comparison, if Iowa was perceived as a superior academic school because of a few years of success, and Cornell fell lower than past standards over that same period of time, how exactly do you think the Cornell elites would perceive the comparison to Iowa?
that's a false equivalence, and it was part of my original point.

cornell does not consistently out produce iowa in either team standings nor All Americans. they didn't even have more AA's this year.

you can say 'champs'. ok, true. but not overall. and again, my point wasn't anything other than 'perception' (among recruits (not fan bases))

Reactions: 12tdsaw
that's a false equivalence, and it was part of my original point.

cornell does not consistently out produce iowa in either team standings nor All Americans. they didn't even have more AA's this year.

you can say 'champs'. ok, true. but not overall. and again, my point wasn't anything other than 'perception' (among recruits (not fan bases))

There is one thing still unclear ... at least to me .. where did you find statements from recuits that gives you the impressions you stated before? What recruits are saying the sky is falling and who are those that are giving cornell and tech stong vibes? (here they are)

===================

The reason I ask is because if we know what recruits are giving these impressions, then maybe there lies the answer to your question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT