ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone see Brands' post-tournament interview?

damn near my entire existence in the sport revolves around talking to wrestling prospects, their parents and coaches and evaluating recruiting classes.

I asked because I have no idea who you are.

So, then I don't understand that if your entire existence revolves in the way you state, wouldn't you be completely aware why the perception is what it is and so it shouldn't be 'odd' to you at all?

And by the way, yes, you truly are an asshole. You have zero self awareness and if you had a fraction, it'd burn like kerosene. In general, all fanbases are wonderful, even PSU, so stop dividing wrestling and pull your pants up to build it. You are trying to build a "reality TV" brand yet 99 percent of wrassling fanbases want knowledge of the sport. I know Burroughs, Dake, Taylor because they are the greatest in the world to me. Introduce impartiality of the future without bias. Tell us the future of 125 - Heavyweight without a bias for once. The wrassling world is not based on Iowa vs. Psu, sure you like to play to ames of partiality but in truth you aren't Willie.
You wrote all this at last call didn’t you? How did you type through the tears?

Last edited:
I asked because I have no idea who you are.

So, then I don't understand that if your entire existence revolves in the way you state, wouldn't you be completely aware why the perception is what it is and so it shouldn't be 'odd' to you at all?
Willie knows a lot of the mindset of recruits out there. I personally think his rankings are the best in the business.

I honestly don't think Davis is a bad wrestler. I do However feel he was pumped up and pushed by PSU and the media as the next 125 champion and now the Baby Faced Assassin not only fell short but was bounced completely out of the tournament and the PSU fans are already looking to replace him with Lillendahl for next season. Maybe Nagao has to give back some of the NIL $ he got since he didn't deliver either ??? Would these two fall under the category of wrestlers who regressed since arriving at PSU ? I mean if Woods Regressed then these 2 should fall into that category as well. I am sure Cael probably has another 133lber or maybe 3 to replace him with.
Davis was never meant to be the 125. With injures to others he stepped up. He did well considering. Won the Big10. Faltered at the nationals. I don’t think you’ll find any penn state fan booing Davis. Not too bad for a freshman. Kinda like Kasak a freshman stepping in for SVN.
I’m sure Davis and Nagao will be battling for 133 next year. No weights are just given at penn state.

You wrote all this at last call, didn’t you? How did you type through the tears.
I wish, though close, I'm a father to three and my 17 year old daughter and 13 year old daughter I drove to a concert at The Warfield in SF while we live in Santa Clara. Intoxicated hopelessly is easier to handle 😂

How about you tell them to hire you? If you're truly interested, show it and express that interest.
Might be worth a try, but maybe offer the idea to Beth first, along with your tips on how Iowa can draw more elite recruits. I think Willie would look good in a black and gold......tie.

Might be worth a try, but maybe offer the idea to Beth first, along with your tips on how Iowa can draw more elite recruits. I think Willie would look good in a black and gold......tie.
I personally don't like Willie and I trust him as far as I could throw him, but he does have a good eye and his rankings are usually pretty damn good.

But he says stuff like this a few times a year, that a program should hire him as a recruiting director, then it goes nowhere. Then he says it again 5 or 6 months later.

So, has he actually tried broaching this subject with anyone or is he just pissing it into the wind?

cornell does not consistently out produce iowa in either team standings nor All Americans. they didn't even have more AA's this year.

you can say 'champs'. ok, true. but not overall. and again, my point wasn't anything other than 'perception' (among recruits (not fan bases))
They do more with a heck of a lot less than almost anyone. That’s the point. They shouldn’t be in the same conversation as Iowa and Ohio State and Michigan, etc. But they are.

Reactions: Gusaford
disagree entirely. Cornell has a massive amount of benefits and things working in its favor.

but that's not even the point, so, whatever.

Reactions: grapplefann
disagree entirely. Cornell has a massive amount of benefits and things working in its favor.

Many positives -- great school, beautiful campus, ability to grey shirt, nice standalone wrestling facility, large endowment. But their academic admission standards must put them out of the running for a bunch of otherwise talented high school wrestlers, no?

Ivy League is shut down for two years for Covid.

No graduate transfers.

No redshirts.

No athletic scholarships.

Name me another Ivy League school doing anything near what Cornell does in wrestling

They do a lot of great things; they invented the grey shirt. But to say they have the same advantages as a Michigan or Ohio State or Iowa?

I guess you’d know and if you feel like sharing, I’d like to learn.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BGon4ND and hlstone
I honestly don't think Davis is a bad wrestler. I do However feel he was pumped up and pushed by PSU and the media as the next 125 champion and now the Baby Faced Assassin not only fell short but was bounced completely out of the tournament and the PSU fans are already looking to replace him with Lillendahl for next season. Maybe Nagao has to give back some of the NIL $ he got since he didn't deliver either ??? Would these two fall under the category of wrestlers who regressed since arriving at PSU ? I mean if Woods Regressed then these 2 should fall into that category as well. I am sure Cael probably has another 133lber or maybe 3 to replace him with.
This is entirely wrong. There were no expectations for Davis at all this season. 125 was supposed to be the return of Robbie Howard from injury finally. If he couldn’t get healthy, then people were saying Gary Steen leveled up from last year. Howard obviously is still not there health wise, and Davis and Steen started the year alternating starts. There were no expectations for Davis until he started winning. His match against Kaylor was a revelation. From that point, he was the guy, but still, any expectations for him even when his ranking shot up to the top of the class were in large part driven by the fact that 125 this year was a free for all with no favorites. Davis lost two close matches and failed to place, but so what, he had a fantastic year that far exceeded expectations.

Also, people aren’t now looking to replace him with Lilledahl suddenly because he “failed” at nationals. Lilledahl is a world class recruit who is #1 overall. It was the expectation that he would immediately take over if he doesn’t redshirt since the day he committed (when very few people even knew who Braeden Davis was). He was recruited over Howard, not Davis.

I agree. I am not ready to give up on TNT but they have to get out of their comfort zone and make the necessary changes to start competing again. They can start by moving on from Morningstar and Telford.

-Whatever we are doing for recruiting isn't working.
-Whatever we are doing to work on finishing shots and scrambling in tough positions isn't working.
-Whatever we are doing with our strength and recovery program isn't working

Nothing can change until Tom is truly willing to admit there are problems. We have a new state-of-the-art facility coming and we can't squander that opportunity to pull in top talent, both for Iowa wrestling and the HWC. These changes in Iowa City need to happen immediately or Iowa needs to start looking for new leadership.
Recruiting isn’t as big of a problem as the perception right now because two of the Iowa blue chip recruits, Jesuroga and Chittum, aren’t here for whatever reason and never stepped on the mat for Iowa. If they were here now, the recruiting end wouldn’t look so dire. Penn State is obviously winning recruiting, but Iowa isn’t losing recruiting to anyone else. Gabe and Angelo are both top level can’t miss blue chip recruits, and DeLuca is pretty close, too.

What recruits do when they get here is a bigger issue. Spencer lived up to the hype until the very end, but he was a generational recruit. Other top 5 recruits like Marinelli and PK struggle to get a couple AA finishes whereas top 15-20 Levi Haines who lost to Rathjen as a junior is a finalist as a true frosh and then an undefeated champion and Hodge finalist. That’s a training/coaching issue, not recruiting.

This is entirely wrong. There were no expectations for Davis at all this season. 125 was supposed to be the return of Robbie Howard from injury finally. If he couldn’t get healthy, then people were saying Gary Steen leveled up from last year. Howard obviously is still not there health wise, and Davis and Steen started the year alternating starts. There were no expectations for Davis until he started winning. His match against Kaylor was a revelation. From that point, he was the guy, but still, any expectations for him even when his ranking shot up to the top of the class were in large part driven by the fact that 125 this year was a free for all with no favorites. Davis lost two close matches and failed to place, but so what, he had a fantastic year that far exceeded expectations.

Also, people aren’t now looking to replace him with Lilledahl suddenly because he “failed” at nationals. Lilledahl is a world class recruit who is #1 overall. It was the expectation that he would immediately take over if he doesn’t redshirt since the day he committed (when very few people even knew who Braeden Davis was). He was recruited over Howard, not Davis.
^^^^^
THIS

Recruiting isn’t as big of a problem as the perception right now because two of the Iowa blue chip recruits, Jesuroga and Chittum, aren’t here for whatever reason and never stepped on the mat for Iowa. If they were here now, the recruiting end wouldn’t look so dire. Penn State is obviously winning recruiting, but Iowa isn’t losing recruiting to anyone else. Gabe and Angelo are both top level can’t miss blue chip recruits, and DeLuca is pretty close, too.

What recruits do when they get here is a bigger issue. Spencer lived up to the hype until the very end, but he was a generational recruit. Other top 5 recruits like Marinelli and PK struggle to get a couple AA finishes whereas top 15-20 Levi Haines who lost to Rathjen as a junior is a finalist as a true frosh and then an undefeated champion and Hodge finalist. That’s a training/coaching issue, not recruiting.

I think it's both. We don't get many top recruits. And the ones we get don't usually have the kinds of careers we expect. Penn State gets more top recruits, and has better results with them. Hence a massive gap.

Reactions: el dub
Ivy League is shut down for two years for Covid.
I don't know what this has to do with their competitiveness. We're three championship years removed from it and Cornell was a force both before and after.
No graduate transfers.
Touche
No redshirts.
Not really true outside of the semantic definition of 'redshirt'. a lot of the incoming kids take a year prior and several have greyshirted over the years.
No athletic scholarships.
If your family makes less than ~ 160k / yr you literally go to Cornell for free. FREE
Name me another Ivy League school doing anything near what Cornell does in wrestling
Name me another Ivy League school that has the advantages that Cornell does, including academic admission.
They do a lot of great things; they invented the grey shirt. But to say they have the same advantages as a Michigan or Ohio State or Iowa?
I'm not sure I said that they have the same advantages as the above programs.
I guess you’d know and if you feel like sharing, I’d like to learn.
My contention is not that Cornell SHOULD be as good as they are or that Rob Koll and Mike Grey aren't awesome. It's just that the narrative that that's a tough place to be competitive is absolutely incorrect.

It's one of the best gigs in the sport.

I'm not sure I said that they have the same advantages as the above programs.
TBF, your first words were “disagree entirely” to a post in which I had written “ They shouldn’t be in the same conversation as Iowa and Ohio State and Michigan, etc. But they are.”

Reactions: hlstone
all good. obviously they the Ivy-ish academic bar. but that's made more attainable by the TC3 route which gets kids in that would have absolutely zero shot at any other of the Ivies (and some non-ivies as well).

that being said, they have, and continue to, run a great and successful program that just about any school anywhere would be/should be proud of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT