ADVERTISEMENT

Did Trad die in Irma?

For someone who always talked a big show about how 'hurricanes were really no big deal' and 'we see them all the time', he certainly seemed very ill-prepared and shell-shocked by Irma:

• Complained about bottled water being sold out, and had NO containers at home to pre-fill in preparation - even when told to go out and purchase 5-gallon jugs to fill at home, he waited until those were sold out, too. And Amazon wouldn't deliver in time, either (SHOCKING!)

Protip: Get your large containers, like 5 gallon jugs, BEFORE hurricane season, and store them in a shed or closet for when you need them. They are like a $10-20 investment for having 3 or 4 on-hand.
  • Posted about 'what to prepare/cook in advance' and how long would certain things survive outside the refrigerator; anyone with common sense would seem to think having a week or so supply of canned goods that you can literally eat right out of the can, or cook up on a portable camp stove would be considered 'normal' if you live in hurricane prone areas.
Protip: Buy 10 or 20 cans of Chunky soup and other canned veggies, along with other non-perishable snacks to have on-hand. Store those with your unused water jugs. They keep for 4-5 years on the shelf, and you can always just donate them to a food drive if they get close to expiring and you don't actually want to eat them. They aren't high-end cuisine, but they'll keep you alive for a couple weeks if you end up stranded in a hurricane zone.​
  • Talked a big show about how Irma 'would just be a basic tropical storm' at his place, and crowed about how 'right he was' when the storm tracked away from his area; then after it remained a Cat 2 storm, he's been on here talking about how scary it was and "if that was a Cat 2, I never want to see a Cat 5"; it's like he's NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN A REAL STORM IN HIS LIFE
He seems to have pretty limited actual experience with real hurricanes or hurricane prep, despite being a complete blowhard on how "everyone over-reacts". Well....yeah...the hurricane can only take ONE path, and since no one is 100% sure on what that path will be, then LOTS and LOTS of people will end up evacuating unnecessarily. The flip-side to that is no one evacuates, and we end up with lots more dead people because of it....

:confused:

Reactions: millah_22
For someone who always talked a big show about how 'hurricanes were really no big deal' and 'we see them all the time', he certainly seemed very ill-prepared and shell-shocked by Irma:

• Complained about bottled water being sold out, and had NO containers at home to pre-fill in preparation - even when told to go out and purchase 5-gallon jugs to fill at home, he waited until those were sold out, too. And Amazon wouldn't deliver in time, either (SHOCKING!)

Protip: Get your large containers, like 5 gallon jugs, BEFORE hurricane season, and store them in a shed or closet for when you need them. They are like a $10-20 investment for having 3 or 4 on-hand.
  • Posted about 'what to prepare/cook in advance' and how long would certain things survive outside the refrigerator; anyone with common sense would seem to think having a week or so supply of canned goods that you can literally eat right out of the can, or cook up on a portable camp stove would be considered 'normal' if you live in hurricane prone areas.
Protip: Buy 10 or 20 cans of Chunky soup and other canned veggies, along with other non-perishable snacks to have on-hand. Store those with your unused water jugs. They keep for 4-5 years on the shelf, and you can always just donate them to a food drive if they get close to expiring and you don't actually want to eat them. They aren't high-end cuisine, but they'll keep you alive for a couple weeks if you end up stranded in a hurricane zone.​
  • Talked a big show about how Irma 'would just be a basic tropical storm' at his place, and crowed about how 'right he was' when the storm tracked away from his area; then after it remained a Cat 2 storm, he's been on here talking about how scary it was and "if that was a Cat 2, I never want to see a Cat 5"; it's like he's NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN A REAL STORM IN HIS LIFE
He seems to have pretty limited actual experience with real hurricanes or hurricane prep, despite being a complete blowhard on how "everyone over-reacts". Well....yeah...the hurricane can only take ONE path, and since no one is 100% sure on what that path will be, then LOTS and LOTS of people will end up evacuating unnecessarily. The flip-side to that is no one evacuates, and we end up with lots more dead people because of it....

:confused:

Don't forget charging his phone in his car. Amateur hour.

Don't forget charging his phone in his car. Amateur hour.

Oh, I missed that part...what was that about? Not having stuff to even charge his phone in the car?

Hell, I've got a small portable Li-ion battery backup I take when traveling to recharge the i-Phone/Pad, so that I don't have to be "one of those people" hovering around for an outlet in the terminals. I can recharge the phone ~3x from it, so in an emergency I could probably get 2-3 weeks of juice just off of THAT.

I also have a car battery portable power unit, to take to the mountains and jump the car if it gets really cold - that also has regular outlet inverters and 5V USB outlets and would probably run the phone for a year if I needed to....

How you can be THAT unprepared when you live in an area known for storms and outages is really beyond me....

Oops. Meant to post hope not. Post got cutoff somehow.
giphy.gif

He's probably at Hemming park protecting monuments to his confederate heritage from all the looters.

Well....yeah...the hurricane can only take ONE path, and since no one is 100% sure on what that path will be,

Here’s a topic, huge problem comes from the media reporting the consensus projection as if it was 100% probability. Weather channel, CNN, MSNBC, FOX were all using the same “consensus” projection and reporting the future of the storm as if it was known. Projection was wrong, repeatedly, yet they kept up with the projection as fact on topics like winds/storm surge in Tampa. Awful. How bout the poor basterdos that believed the early consensus and left Miami for Naples?

Instead of always falling back on the consensus path and showing the map as if its fact, at a minimum they should show the map with the various models that show divergence potentials. Better yet, show potential paths with a probability range, they likely have enough data.

Mostly a problem with the reporting Partly a problem with the arrogance of some science too, lots of examples come to mind; medical science for sure has this problem. Freakanomics podcast had a couple good episodes on point, honest expression of degree of confidence in conclusions tend to lack in many fields (especially medicine!). One episode focused on lessons intelligence community learned from Iraq debacle where 70-80% confidence was expressed as slam dunk. Same fundamental problem with application of what is known vs what is theorized imo.

Instead of always falling back on the consensus path and showing the map as if its fact, at a minimum they should show the map with the various models that show divergence potentials. Better yet, show potential paths with a probability range, they likely have enough data.

Ummm...that's what the "probability cone" means.

I'm fairly certain Irma never diverged from that cone day-to-day.

5 day projections? Yes, but that's expected. If you are in the 5 day cone you should PREPARE in advance. When you are down to being within the 2 day cone, you should be ready to ACT.

I don't think they were telling people to evacuate a week in advance; they were telling people to be READY to evacuate and have all their windows boarded up already and have all the supplies they needed ready so IF the hurricane track is still bearing down on them, they don't have another day or 2 of prep to do.

And, yes, this means MANY people will unnecessarily "prepare" for the storm; the alternative is to have hundreds of thousands of people UNprepared.

Ummm...that's what the "probability cone" means.

I'm fairly certain Irma never diverged from that cone day-to-day.

5 day projections? Yes, but that's expected. If you are in the 5 day cone you should PREPARE in advance. When you are down to being within the 2 day cone, you should be ready to ACT.

I don't think they were telling people to evacuate a week in advance; they were telling people to be READY to evacuate and have all their windows boarded up already and have all the supplies they needed ready so IF the hurricane track is still bearing down on them, they don't have another day or 2 of prep to do.

And, yes, this means MANY people will unnecessarily "prepare" for the storm; the alternative is to have hundreds of thousands of people UNprepared.
They gave my zone evac orders on Saturday

dammit. I feel like I was leading the what time will Trad die pool, too. Oh well, there's always Jose.

Almost looks like God is 'winding up' to adjust his aim for Mar A Lago this time...

150543_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

God's GPS: "Recalibrating...."....

Here’s a topic, huge problem comes from the media reporting the consensus projection as if it was 100% probability. Weather channel, CNN, MSNBC, FOX were all using the same “consensus” projection and reporting the future of the storm as if it was known. Projection was wrong, repeatedly, yet they kept up with the projection as fact on topics like winds/storm surge in Tampa. Awful. How bout the poor basterdos that believed the early consensus and left Miami for Naples?
That seems like a people problem.

From the coverage I watched I thought they did a great job conveying that ALL of Florida was at risk for hurricane conditions and that until it turned North, they weren't sure of the exact path. The projection cone is just that. So, unless people don't understand projection than that's a you problem.

Basically, there was a big hurricane headed towards Florida. If you weren't ready then that's on you. Not the media.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT