ADVERTISEMENT

Does it bother you that you're going to die?

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
I mean, we all know it's inevitable, but it still sucks, right?

You can get everything you can out of your life - live, love, laugh, see the world, experience as much a possible, etc., but you're still going to die before you see how things turn out, or do everything you want, etc. That sucks.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Death is the price of admission to life.

I do not fear it or dread it. It's part of the deal.
I'm certainly not afraid of it. I just think it sucks that I'll miss out on seeing how things go, how the daughter turns out later on, etc.

The reality is that I've got maybe 20-25 years left. That's really not much time. I've done a lot and I'm happy for my life. I've done more than I would've predicted, and I think I've mostly left things better than I found them. Still, I'd like to be able to see further down the road.

Death will be a new birth.
I really do hope so.

I've always described myself as optimistically agnostic. I don't know if there's a God and an afterlife, but I really hope there is. And I've tried to live like I could build a good case if there's a judgment at the end. But, if there's not, I've still had a pretty good time in the present.

I'm certainly not afraid of it. I just think it sucks that I'll miss out on seeing how things go, how the daughter turns out later on, etc.

The reality is that I've got maybe 20-25 years left. That's really not much time. I've done a lot and I'm happy for my life. I've done more than I would've predicted, and I think I've mostly left things better than I found them. Still, I'd like to be able to see further down the road.

Well with climate change, the future is going to suck anyway. Best to get while the getting is good.

I’m not sure if you’re okay with the dark arts but I’m hearing that there’s this new documentary that might have some information about becoming immortal. It’s called Hocus Pocus 2.

I've thought about this recently. I think we are prewired to not think about it while young, and as we get old and things hurt and we have no energy I think we start wanting it. There are millions of years of evolution with death as part of the picture, I'm sure there was an advantage to those who just accept it vs those who are worried about it.

For your deathbed, Russ:

milfs-27715.gif

I went to plenty of church as a kid; baptism and confirmation and everything. The problem is that I'm EXTREMELY logical and skeptical by nature. I want things proven, evidenced, etc. That doesn't jive well with religion. Plus, even if there is a God, who knows which version is right?

So, since most religions are kinda based on some interpretation of the Golden Rule, I've long thought as long as I try to stick close to that, I'll hopefully have a decent shot. I've tried to treat people as I've wanted to be treated. But, if it turns out there's nothing, I've allowed myself the latitude to have fun, gain great experiences, etc, so it's still a life well-lived even if there's nothing after.

I think about it more since I’m a Baby Boomer with more days behind me than ahead of me. I think of how my parents were still in decent shape when they were my age but their health the last two years went down dramatically. They passed at 88 and 90. It worries me that I could be a huge burden to my children - and if I could go in my sleep at 90 or so I would be lucky.

Ray Kurzweil thinks that humans who manage to survive until what he calls “singularity” (basically man machine consciousness meld) will be capable of immortality. singularity he says is near (about 2045). so he’s on a mega supplements to prolong life which he describes in a couple books - fantastic voyage (ive read this) and transcend (not read this.)

so maybe worth taking this route and just not die.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I think about it more since I’m a Baby Boomer with more days behind me than ahead of me. I think of how my parents were still in decent shape when they were my age but their health the last two years went down dramatically. They passed at 88 and 90. It worries me that I could be a huge burden to my children - and if I could go in my sleep at 90 or so I would be lucky.
I'm realistic, and I know that neither of my grandparents made it to 70yo. My dad was 73 yo, and my mom will turn 73 in a couple of weeks. If I extrapolate it out, maybe I make it to mid-late 70s.

I don't want to be a burden on anyone, but I want to get in what I can in the time I have, recognizing the likely end date.

I was a lot more cavalier about death until it was discovered I had serious heart issues a few years ago. I have had a lot of surgeries as I gotten older but they were all due to me working and playing hard earlier in life and the ensuing arthritis. The heart issues were the first ailment that was truly life threatening. It was eye opening to say the least. After getting the pacemaker/defibrillator and having the defibrillator go off and shock me six times in my back yard, it became even more real. The ambulance ride to the hospital allowed me plenty of time to contemplate what I and most don't want to think about, one's ultimate demise. I'm not saying I dwell on dying but I do think about it more than previously.

I was a lot more cavalier about death until it was discovered I had serious heart issues a few years ago. I have had a lot of surgeries as I gotten older but they were all due to me working and playing hard earlier in life and the ensuing arthritis. The heart issues were the first ailment that was truly life threatening. It was eye opening to say the least. After getting the pacemaker/defibrillator and having the defibrillator go off and shock me six times in my back yard, it became even more real. The ambulance ride to the hospital allowed me plenty of time to contemplate what I and most don't want to think about, one's ultimate demise. I'm not saying I dwell on dying but I do think about it more than previously.
Dang, dude. Stay skrong.

Not sure about all you guys but I’m spending my kid’s inheritance on cocaine and strippers. I put them through college, paid for their cars, set them up to be debt free, it’s me time now. Live for today, who knows what tomorrow will bring. And I’ll sleep when I’m dead.
The John Entwhistle plan - I like it!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT