ADVERTISEMENT

Does it bother you that you're going to die?

Of course, it would make my term life insurance decision cheaper.
Go see the guys Dana White saw and then don't make any changes to your lifestyle. They claim they can predict your death within a month if you die based on health reasons by taking and analyzing your blood and DNA. I think they are based in Florida also.

I want to see my grandkids grow into adults, that's the only part that I think about at times. Other then that I worry more about others that depend on me then me actually.

Launch them into what? The sun?
rafiki-simba.gif

I guess I’m the only one that’s utterly terrified. It’s been a progressively ominous thought in my head the last year or so.
I’ve scrutinized my beliefs on living and dying to pin point where the genesis of this feeling began, and I always come away with naught. Sucks.
What is it that you fear?

I don’t worry about my death beyond its potential impact on the people I leave behind.

I’d like to think there is something afterwards but I’m not banking on it.

I'm realistic, and I know that neither of my grandparents made it to 70yo. My dad was 73 yo, and my mom will turn 73 in a couple of weeks. If I extrapolate it out, maybe I make it to mid-late 70s.

I don't want to be a burden on anyone, but I want to get in what I can in the time I have, recognizing the likely end date.

Ouch. Most folks in my family make it into their 90’s. I had a hard drinking chain smoking grandmother who was partying on New Years Eve then dropped dead of a heart attack the next morning at 78. The others made it to their 80’s and 90’s. My mom is 90 and still lives independently. My dad got cancer at 87, and left the oncologist office for the golf course after being give six months to live. His siblings mostly made it to their 90’s.

I’m 65, so I figure maybe 20 good years left, then a few years of rapid decline.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Bother me?

Sure if I think about it.

One reason and one reason only, FAMILY.

The thought of never being able to see my kids again is incredible sad.

I sure hope there's a heaven.

Ouch. Most folks in my family make it into their 90’s. I had a hard drinking chain smoking grandmother who was partying on New Years Eve then dropped dead of a heart attack the next morning at 78. The others made it to their 80’s and 90’s. My mom is 90 and still lives independently. My dad got cancer at 87, and left the oncologist office for the golf course after being give six months to live. His siblings mostly made it to their 90’s.

I’m 65, so I figure maybe 20 good years left, then a few years of rapid decline.

Yeah, it's not great! I should've clarified that that's on my mom's side. My dad was adopted, so I don't know how long his biological parents lasted. I do have a great aunt that made it into her 90s, so there's an outside chance, and with better medicine, knowledge, etc I may have some extra time. I'd rather estimate conservatively and be surprised by extra time, then to plan for a lot longer than what's realistic. In the meantime there are things I can do to try and stretch it out. Some days I'm better at it than other days.

Yeah, it's not great! I should've clarified that that's on my mom's side. My dad was adopted, so I don't know how long his biological parents lasted. I do have a great aunt that made it into her 90s, so there's an outside chance, and with better medicine, knowledge, etc I may have some extra time. I'd rather estimate conservatively and be surprised by extra time, then to plan for a lot longer than what's realistic. In the meantime there are things I can do to try and stretch it out. Some days I'm better at it than other days.

One of the trickier things is making sure you manage your money as if you are going to live a long time, while not knowing if you will.

One of the trickier things is making sure you manage your money as if you are going to live a long time, while not knowing if you will.
My mom tried to do that, but has probably miscalculated. She's said that she'll make the money last as long as she can, but once it's gone, she's moving in with one of us kids. My sister lived near my dad and did most of the taking care of him at the end, so technically this one should be on me. I've got a basement and two stories, and a crapload of stairs. My mom's not looking forward to that at all!! 🤣

I am more aware of the value of time now. I value it a lot more than money. Seeing my kids go from being born to being college grad adults is really something. One's perspective of time changes as one ages.

My mom tried to do that, but has probably miscalculated. She's said that she'll make the money last as long as she can, but once it's gone, she's moving in with one of us kids. My sister lived near my dad and did most of the taking care of him at the end, so technically this one should be on me. I've got a basement and two stories, and a crapload of stairs. My mom's not looking forward to that at all!! 🤣

200w.gif

I wish I could get into it, but it would fill me with extreme sadness to even try and type it out.
I’m just afraid. In every facet. And that’s just pathetic.
It’s not pathetic. All of us have fears we can’t bear to face. I’ve read and watched a lot of near-death testimonials, and many line up with my grandfather’s experience. Reading Bart Erhman’s book about heaven and hell was eye opening for me, as I realized all that I had been fearing is wrong.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Accepted it as reality at a young age, lived my 20s yolo style. No regrets. I had my fun and I’m still here. I actually think it’s a bit of a hedge- you mess up really bad, you can take the out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT