ADVERTISEMENT

Direct from Portland

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
I have a client in Portland, and I visited most weeks from last August until Mid-March. Oregon closed restaurants for dining the week before I left. I'm staying and working downtown, 1 block from the Federal Circuit Court building, and 4 blocks from the Hatfield Federal Building (where most of the protests are happening). I took the metro train from the airport to downtown. It was nearly empty

About half the buildings downtown are boarded up at the street level. Those that are boarded up have graffiti on the boards, but there doesn't seem to be much graffiti on actual buildings. Portland has had a homeless problem for a long time, on virtually every block, even in the winter. It seems like there are more tents than before, and the homeless have moved off the main sidewalks into tents at the edge of parking lots. There also seems to be more of a police presence, and police are now in groups instead of being alone.

Protesters walked by my hotel last night, banging a drum. Many were carrying BLM signs. I didn't see many people who were obvious minorities. Most were college age or under 30. Local news showed footage this morning. It was apparently mostly peaceful. Two arrests for throwing bricks at cops.

The Hatfield building is obviously boarded up, but doesn't look any worse than the other buildings downtown. The Circuit Court building has roses growing around it, and they are all intact. Pioneer Square across the street is nearly empty.

I've never felt unsafe in Portland, and I've walked about 25 square miles over the 7 months I've been traveling there. I probably walked 5 blocks last night, and still didn't feel unsafe. The only bad thing is a lot of restaurants are shut down indefinitely, including nearly all the restaurants at the airport.

Last edited:
It seems as the people most worried about and fearful of Portland are people who have never lived there and would never travel there. Like white people from Iowa.
I broke a rule and confronted three women at the gym last week. One is 70s, one 60s, and one 40. They were just hysterical about the violence in Portland and all were stating that “The Dems want the violence”. I said my BFF lives in Portland and it’s totally overblown. One said she’d seen it on TV! I asked her how many times she’d seen the same clips, was footage being looped? When was the footage from? I asked her how my friend could be wrong and Fox right? I asked her if the violence started once the federal agents cane out every night?
She huffed off.

I broke a rule and confronted three women at the gym last week. One is 70s, one 60s, and one 40. They were just hysterical about the violence in Portland and all were stating that “The Dems want the violence”. I said my BFF lives in Portland and it’s totally overblown. One said she’d seen it on TV! I asked her how many times she’d seen the same clips, was footage being looped? When was the footage from? I asked her how my friend could be wrong and Fox right? I asked her if the violence started once the federal agents cane out every night?
She huffed off.

I think a lot of the camera angles are misleading. I don't think there are as many people actually there. Kind of like holding a fish away from your body to make it look bigger, or the Trump inauguration pictures. Protesters I saw last night were mostly fat, dumpy, pasty skinned white girls under 30 years old.

Biggest threat from them is getting in their way at the Voodoo donut shop.

She huffed off.
Backed down a couple of grandmas. Good for you...:rolleyes:

I think a lot of the camera angles are misleading. I don't think there are as many people actually there. Kind of like holding a fish away from your body to make it look bigger, or the Trump inauguration pictures. Protesters I saw last night were mostly fat, dumpy, pasty skinned white girls under 30 years old.

Biggest threat from them is getting in their way at the Voodoo donut shop.
LOL. Ask them to show you a picture of their cat.
I would love to hear your experience in Portland as well.
i don't have one but I'm not the one who just had to get in a dig...

I have a client in Portland, and I visited most weeks from last August until Mid-March. Oregon closed restaurants for dining the week before I left. I'm staying and working downtown, 1 block from the Federal Circuit Court building, and 4 blocks from the Hatfield Federal Building (where most of the protests are happening). I took the metro train from the airport to downtown. It was nearly empty

About half the buildings downtown are boarded up at the street level. Those that are boarded up have graffiti on the boards, but there doesn't seem to be much graffiti on actual buildings. Portland has had a homeless problem for a long time, on virtually every block, even in the winter. It seems like there are more tents than before, and the homeless have moved off the main sidewalks into tents at the edge of parking lots. There also seems to be more of a police presence, and police are now in groups instead of being alone.

Protesters walked by my hotel last night, banging a drum. Many were carrying BLM signs. I didn't see many people who were obvious minorities. Most were college age or under 30. Local news showed footage this morning. It was apparently mostly peaceful. Two arrests for throwing bricks at cops.

The Hatfield building is obviously boarded up, but doesn't look any worse than the other buildings downtown. The Circuit Court building has roses growing around it, and they are all intact. Pioneer Square across the street is nearly empty.

I've never felt unsafe in Portland, and I've walked about 25 square miles over the 7 months I've been traveling there. I probably walked 5 blocks last night, and still didn't feel unsafe. The only bad thing is a lot of restaurants are shut down indefinitely, including nearly all the restaurants at the airport.
Please send some pictures of the courthouse that looks like the other buildings downtown.

Just walked around the courthouse a little bit. There are people with tents in the square across the street selling t-shirts. There are others grilling burgers. The biggest difference between the courthouse and the surrounding buildings is the graffiti is painted directly on the building, and it's more vulgar. It's really noticable that most of the graffiti on other buildings is limited to the plywood.

There's also graffiti on the statue in the square.

There are concrete barriers on the sidewalk around the building, and an 8 foot chain link fence.

There are some cracked windows on the second floor, but no worse than the Apple store around the corner.

Reactions: Rudolph
Just walked around the courthouse a little bit. There are people with tents in the square across the street selling t-shirts. There are others grilling burgers. The biggest difference between the courthouse and the surrounding buildings is the graffiti is painted directly on the building, and it's more vulgar. It's really noticable that most of the graffiti on other buildings is limited to the plywood.

There's also graffiti on the statue in the square.

There are concrete barriers on the sidewalk around the building, and an 8 foot chain link fence.

There are some cracked windows on the second floor, but no worse than the Apple store around the corner.
Estimate of how many people are camped out? how many police? any businesses in that area operational?

He was replying to a dude that said it was mostly white people from Iowa that afraid. It’s not. Nobody gives a shit in Iowa about that boring shithole. I’m sure the businesses and neighborhoods care a little more.
If you live in Iowa, as I do, there are about 5 places you can call a boring shithole and Portland isn't one of them.

Estimate of how many people are camped out? how many police? any businesses in that area operational?

There's a large Portland Police station across a side street from the Hatfield Building. I was there about 5:00 PM Sunday afternoon, and didn't see any police presence. There were about 3 vendor tents. There aren't any homeless tents for a couple of blocks in any direction. There are a lot of homeless tents in the Skidmore / Chinatown area about 4 blocks away.

No violence last night. There were speakers urging the small crowd to refocus on BLM.

Someone has put some portable potties in the square. The square was clean when I walked through, but the local news this morning showed it was full of garbage.

OK, so what's the beef over more US Marshals at the court house inciting more riots about?

OK, so what's the beef over more US Marshals at the court house inciting more riots about?

I'm not seeing any evidence of that. Obviously I'm not there late at night, but I am watching all the local news channels in the morning. The crowds start forming between 8:00 & 9:00 and usually stay until around midnight.

When I was walking around yesterday, there was a march along the river a couple of blocks away. There were about 200 people, and a few had drums.

The speakers last night were in front of the courthouse facing the square, with a line of people beating drums.

Update -

Last week, the protests moved from downtown Portland to north Portland, and the Police Union building. Apparently there's a lot more violence.

There are still a few BLM protesters hanging out in the square across from the Hatfield Building downtown, as well as a few street vendors selling t-shirts.

The Apple Store downtown has some pretty impressive murals painted on the plywood. About half the graffiti is decent artwork. The other half is vulgar crap.

Update -

Last week, the protests moved from downtown Portland to north Portland, and the Police Union building. Apparently there's a lot more violence.

There are still a few BLM protesters hanging out in the square across from the Hatfield Building downtown, as well as a few street vendors selling t-shirts.

The Apple Store downtown has some pretty impressive murals painted on the plywood. About half the graffiti is decent artwork. The other half is vulgar crap.
Sounds perfect.
Great place to look for investment.

8/13 Update

Apparently the neighborhoods in North Portland around the police union building got tired of the protesters, and the protesters moved back downtown to the Hatfield Federal Building last night. They weren't so peaceful, and they went later into the night this time around. The local police deployed tear gas, and there were quite a few arrests. This is after the local DA announced yesterday morning that charges would be dropped against those previously arrested.

I'll be done traveling to Portland tomorrow, Friday the 14th. I hope I don't have to return anytime soon. The sheer number of homeless is disturbing in several ways. Other than the protesters who come out when the sun goes down, the homeless are the vast majority of people on the street. There are tent cities all along the river. There are individual tents on about every other block. There's garbage and litter everywhere.

I returned home last Friday. Looks like I got out of town just in time.

Press is reporting there are 2 distinct groups, and they were actually arguing with each other. Seems like the non-violent group was trying to keep the violent group calm. It didn't work.

Also, since the local prosecutor announced last week that previosus charges would be dropped against protesters, the Oregon State Police and Portland State University Police have stopped helping out the city police.

I heard from conservative media that it's a warzone and is a direct result of liberals being in charge. "See what happens when they are in charge?".

I heard from conservative media that it's a warzone and is a direct result of liberals being in charge. "See what happens when they are in charge?".

Yeah, it wasn't anything like that until last Wednesday night. In fact, a lot of the buildings that were boarded up started taking the plywood down. There was a lot of graffiti in a 4 or 5 block radius from the Hatfield Building, but nothing like a war zone while I was there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT