ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing and frustrating

Oct 1, 2022
Danville, Iowa
Well everybody, another football season is winding down. I must admit, I had a little higher expectations for the Hawks this year. It just seems like that down thru the years, you can almost pencil in Iowa's record before the season starts. I mean an 8-4 or 9-3 record. I think they did go 10-2 one year. A lot of teams would love to have this success. But, it is just disappointing and frustrating that we can not take that 'next step'. KF has taken us as far as he can, now it is up to the next coach. The same can be said about the basketball team, but that belongs in another forum. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk.

Well everybody, another football season is winding down. I must admit, I had a little higher expectations for the Hawks this year. It just seems like that down thru the years, you can almost pencil in Iowa's record before the season starts. I mean an 8-4 or 9-3 record. I think they did go 10-2 one year. A lot of teams would love to have this success. But, it is just disappointing and frustrating that we can not take that 'next step'. KF has taken us as far as he can, now it is up to the next coach. The same can be said about the basketball team, but that belongs in another forum. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk.
JFC

You know that Iowa has big limitations don't you. To start with we don't have the population to recruit great 4 & 5 star recruits. We don't have the warm weather and beaches. And now we don't have the NIL money to compete with the big boys. So you'll just have to live with the 8 to 9 wins. Unless you have the money to buy NIL players?

You know that Iowa has big limitations don't you. To start with we don't have the population to recruit great 4 & 5 star recruits. We don't have the warm weather and beaches. And now we don't have the NIL money to compete with the big boys. So you'll just have to live with the 8 to 9 wins. Unless you have the money to buy NIL players?
Iowa went 7-5 this year. That’s no 8-4 or 9-3 record. KF has everyone snowed that little old Iowa can’t compete against the big boys and not to expect too much. It’s time for him to go and take Brian with him.

Utah has back to back pac 12 championships and back 2 back rose bowls largely because they aren't excuse making bitches. They barely lost to OSU in that Rose Bowl instead of embarrassing the program like Kirk's lone trip there.

Utah is almost the same population and lily white demographics as Iowa with a better than ISU caliber in-state rival in BYU and WAY more isolated from population centers than Iowa. But then again Kyle Whittingham believes in a respectable offense and doesn't prop up family at the detriment of the program.... So not a fair comparison I guess

Utah has back to back pac 12 championships and back 2 back rose bowls largely because they aren't excuse making bitches. They barely lost to OSU in that Rose Bowl instead of embarrassing the program like Kirk's lone trip there.

Utah is almost the same population and lily white demographics as Iowa with a better than ISU caliber in-state rival in BYU and WAY more isolated from population centers than Iowa. But then again Kyle Whittingham believes in a respectable offense and doesn't prop up family at the detriment of the program.... So not a fair comparison I guess
Actually, Michigan has made the state of Utah a minor priority the past few recruiting cycles. They have an abnormally high Pacific Islander population (not exactly "lilly-white") and some pretty decent DL/OL. While we haven't had great success, so far, it's seems like we are going there more and more often with each year...we are there WAY more often than we are Iowa (recruiting wise).

Utah also is one state over from Cali. In fact, there are parts of Cali that are closer to Utah than they are the opposite side of their own state....so yes, not a fair comparison

8 or 9 wins will be in great years. We will be looking at 5-6 wins because most of our really good players will be getting woo’d away after we develop them….good old Iowa farm team…see what I did there?

Actually, Michigan has made the state of Utah a minor priority the past few recruiting cycles. They have an abnormally high Pacific Islander population (not exactly "lilly-white") and some pretty decent DL/OL. While we haven't had great success, so far, it's seems like we are going there more and more often with each year...we are there WAY more often than we are Iowa (recruiting wise).

Utah also is one state over from Cali. In fact, there are parts of Cali that are closer to Utah than they are the opposite side of their own state....so yes, not a fair comparison
Utah is the first school I thought of too but that's not even close to being true.
The last offer Iowa made to anybody in Utah was 2018.
C'mon, do better than that.

With the 2 new hires at Ne and Wisc and the addition of usc and ucla it is going to be very difficult for Iowa to improve in seasonal wins.. New coaching staff on offense would be a start.

Don't see the relationship between new hires at Nebraska / Wisconsin, and Iowa's ability to improve seasonal wins,.. New hires don't automatically mean improvement,.. USC / UCLA are another season away so we'll see what they bring to the party...

Reactions: sober_teacher
Utah is the first school I thought of too but that's not even close to being true.
The last offer Iowa made to anybody in Utah was 2018.
C'mon, do better than that.
I used Michigan as an example because it is a way more national recruiter and better indicator of where talent trends are.

Don't see the relationship between new hires at Nebraska / Wisconsin, and Iowa's ability to improve seasonal wins,.. New hires don't automatically mean improvement,.. USC / UCLA are another season away so we'll see what they bring to the party...
Yep.

New hires usually happen because your team sucked a lot.

I AM VERY MAD THAT IOWA DID NOT GO 4-8 THREE YEARS IN A ROW, AND HIRE A NEW COACH!!!!!!

This is a good post, but there are also way more examples of states that falls into this category but have less success than Iowa. Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Missouri and Kentucky come to mind.

Utah has good thing going. Iowa is ahead of the distribution curve.

Reactions: chuck285
Cali, Nevada, Utah...that is one state "over" as in something inbetween...I don't need to glance at a map as I did fine in 4th grade geography...
Interesting interpretation - Have never heard that before.

I just took a quick poll of 4 people sitting next to me and no one agreed with your thought on that 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Never spent time on the East Coast?

"NJ is next to Ny. PA is one state over"

Yes I have, and I'll grant you that in a location where states are the size of average counties it makes more sense,... Also helps when you mention the intermediate state.

Doom and gloom. Maybe Iowa should leave the Big and join the MAC as we can't compete with the big Boys except in wrestling.

Or 12-0, but let's not bring that one up

With the 2 new hires at Ne and Wisc and the addition of usc and ucla it is going to be very difficult for Iowa to improve in seasonal wins.. New coaching staff on offense would be a start.

Been hearing this for about 15 plus years now….Zookster, Fat Charlie, Mangino, even Tim Brewster on up to now. Were going to wreck us….

It is what it is…

You’re probably not aware Utah has fans like you on their board too. Fans who have over the last several years decided it was time to move on from their coach.

I’m super glad you brought this up, as again I have now said probably 10,000 times on this board. You types are in every fan base & always hate your coach!

Go be an Utah fan. It won’t be very long before you want. The coach fired… That’s how you folks are.!

Also, a quick look at their staff showed me he has at least one family member on the staff (nepotism) and they ran the ball quite a bit more than they have thrown it & their leading receiver by far was a tight end… Not nearly as wide open an offenses as you guys are looking for!

Life is funny…

I definitely remember that one 10-2 season I thought they had.

They went 12-0 one year not long ago.
12-2 actually. People like to ignore those 2 losses and say we went 12-0.

To answer the OP, all KF needs to do is improve the offense to where it's at least serviceable, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Offense has always been KF's blind spot. Compound that with the fact that his kid is basically running the offense now and isn't going anywhere.

New coaches don't automatically result in a better program. Guys are bailing on Rhule left and right.

I was just going to mention Utah, hell even Cincy made the playoffs (due to recruiting by now the WIscy coach).

Utah roster features fifty 25 year olds. That qb is like 30. Same as BYU. KF likes 19 year old walk-ons.

New coaches don't automatically result in a better program. Guys are bailing on Rhule left and right.
New coaches toss out the old and bring in new guys, mostly portal. Same as Showtime. Wait until KF retires in 2050, the new coach will toss out 3/4 of his roster.

With the 2 new hires at Ne and Wisc and the addition of usc and ucla it is going to be very difficult for Iowa to improve in seasonal wins
I still remember you putting us on notice when Frost was hired too. How'd that work out, Nostradamus?

Reactions: RothMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT