ADVERTISEMENT

Disc Golf Starter Sets

gusto79

HR Legend
Sep 11, 2002
My nephew told me he wants some disc golf discs. He doesn't have any so I figured a starter set would be good. He's 11. I know nothing of disc golf. Anybody have a recommendation on a good starter set for around $50 to $75?

Just get him a leopard and a putter. Best starter disc around, and I still carry one in my bag.
Also, I think they include a version of this disc in the starter set they sell at Wal-Mart, FYI

Reactions: gusto79
11 is probably too young for one of these:

RAW-Cone-Duffel-Bag-600x301.png

I’d buy a couple drivers, a mid range and a good putter

I’d recommend some over stable discs for a beginner like an X-Clone or Nuke

4 discs might cost you $60-$70, plenty on eBay. Don’t buy from Walmart.

I’d buy a couple drivers, a mid range and a good putter

I’d recommend some over stable discs for a beginner like an X-Clone or Nuke

4 discs might cost you $60-$70, plenty on eBay. Don’t buy from Walmart.
If there's time to get them shipped to you before Christmas then yes, I agree. But if its last minute, sometimes you just gotta feed the beast.

1-2 drivers (valkarie or viking), a mid range (spider or skeeter) and a good putter (nova) is all you really need. I haven't played much in the last several years, but I have around 12 in my bag, but really only use 5-6 consistently. I would not recommend anything with a speed over 9 for a beginner. The leopard mentioned above is a great fairway driver, I personally like the cheetah a bit better but both good.

Above are my recommendations from Innova. If you can afford it, get the champion level plastic. It's more durable.

If there's time to get them shipped to you before Christmas then yes, I agree. But if its last minute, sometimes you just gotta feed the beast.
What are good brands and what are brands to avoid?

Thoughts on this set? It says it will arrive before Christmas. 5 discs for $50.

Amazon product ASIN B07NGS9YQT
Would it be worth buying a leopard with this? What weight would you recommend?

Edit:
Not sure if the link is showing up.
Amazon link

Just get him a leopard and a putter. Best starter disc around, and I still carry one in my bag.
Also, I think they include a version of this disc in the starter set they sell at Wal-Mart, FYI
Good recommendation. Also add in a Roc. Leopard (forgiving and easy to throw driver), Roc (mid range) and Aviar (putter) were probably the most recommended beginner trio for years. Dx plastic (cheap stuff) works for a starter. You do lose discs. Varies by course but if it's brushy you'll lose a lot as a beginner, so start out on something cheap to replace. Also cheaper plastic beats up easier, which makes them easier to throw with beginners arm strength. Good players usually carry multiple putters and multiple mid ranges of the same disc because their flight characteristics change with wear.

Honestly hand me down discs make the best starters, but it doesn't sound like you know any players.

But in summary, Leopard, Roc, Aviar. Colors do matter! You want something he will be able to find in brush. Blaze orange is ideal!

Edit:
Amazon link
Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong when buying a set for an 11 year old beginner. It's likely going to be quite awhile before they are able to throw well enough for it to make much of a difference, but I would aim for 165-170 grams if you go with the leopard.

Good recommendation. Also add in a Roc. Leopard (forgiving and easy to throw driver), Roc (mid range) and Aviar (putter) were probably the most recommended beginner trio for years. Dx plastic (cheap stuff) works for a starter. You do lose discs. Varies by course but if it's brushy you'll lose a lot as a beginner, so start out on something cheap to replace. Also cheaper plastic beats up easier, which makes them easier to throw with beginners arm strength. Good players usually carry multiple putters and multiple mid ranges of the same disc because their flight characteristics change with wear.

Honestly hand me down discs make the best starters, but it doesn't sound like you know any players.

But in summary, Leopard, Roc, Aviar. Colors do matter! You want something he will be able to find in brush. Blaze orange is ideal!
^^listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about

Edit:
Amazon link
Looks reasonable. I kind of fell into Innova because that's what every place in IC sold. My putter is actually from lightning discs but a quick Google search shows those don't exist anymore. Bummer.

To piggy back off of @jberesford, make sure he labels every disc with name and phone number. It's a pretty solid community. I had someone call me on a disc I'd lost in Davenport 2 months prior.

Reactions: drew_hawk
Just throw into Amazon search Innova Set.

They sell a three pack that includes a putter, mid range, and driver… A lot of them include the leopard that is recommended above. This is everything you need to get started… Eventually you’ll probably want a bigger driver.

They also sell some of these packs that include a bag.

I play a lot. There are a ton of options to consider. The starter packs are great if someone doesn't plan on playing long, but the plastic is generally poor and doesn't hold up for much play. If he's serious I'd consider buying a few better options. Since he's new he doesn't really need a high speed driver disc. In fact most people don't. Something speed 9 or lower. I'd recommend a straight throwing midrange, a putter, and maybe a 9 speed driver. If you can share your budget I can put together some decent recommendations.

I’ve been throwing discs since the mid 90’s but took a break for the last several years. I just recently started playing again as my kids are old enough to throw somewhat far.

Last weekend was the first time we all got par (3) on a whole, which was really cool.

I also just missed an ace on a 275’ hole. Darn thing was only 3 inch from hitting the chains.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT