ADVERTISEMENT

DJ now a 5 ⭐️

Everyone I talk to is basically giving him a pass for last year if this year is a success. I think he knows there is a lot of pressure on getting to the tourney and doing something this year. I love Fran for what he pulled us out of but 3 (if you count the Tenn game) appearances and 1 win in 9 years just isnt going to cut it. Not for me anyway.

Two wins, in 8 seasons. Not amazing, but let's not shortchange the man. And that's still better than the last two coaches combined.

But I agree, he's gotta step it up this season. Three straight years of no NCAA tourney would be unacceptable.

Two wins, in 8 seasons. Not amazing, but let's not shortchange the man. And that's still better than the last two coaches combined.

But I agree, he's gotta step it up this season. Three straight years of no NCAA tourney would be unacceptable.

Yes he is in the tweaner area. He hasnt been awful but not great either. This will be year 9 so it isnt like we havent given him a chance and assets with a new practice facility.

This year needs to be a big improvement over the last, or Fran will be on a very hot seat with almost all of the fan base. Prior to last year, there was no real reason to not think that Fran had done a fine job of moving Iowa into the top half of the B1G.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
This year needs to be a big improvement over the last, or Fran will be on a very hot seat with almost all of the fan base. Prior to last year, there was no real reason to not think that Fran had done a fine job of moving Iowa into the top half of the B1G.

This. Exactly.

Up until last season, Fran was looking pretty good. One bad season torpedoed a lot of goodwill and completely changed the narrative around the program. But as bad as last season was, I don't think we're that far removed from where we all expect this program to be.

Plenty of good coaches take a step back once in a while. We saw what happens when a few recruiting classes are a bust, and when your thinnest position is hit by injuries. I expect next season will be a lot better.

This. Exactly.

Up until last season, Fran was looking pretty good. One bad season torpedoed a lot of goodwill and completely changed the narrative around the program. But as bad as last season was, I don't think we're that far removed from where we all expect this program to be.

Plenty of good coaches take a step back once in a while. We saw what happens when a few recruiting classes are a bust, and when your thinnest position is hit by injuries. I expect next season will be a lot better.
Will it be better than last season? That's a very, very low bar.
Will it be good enough to make the NCAA tourney? That seems like quite a high bar taking into consideration as much as we know currently.
My best guess is they fall somewhere in between. Above horrible, but short of an NCAA bid.

Will it be better than last season? That's a very, very low bar.
Will it be good enough to make the NCAA tourney? That seems like quite a high bar taking into consideration as much as we know currently.
My best guess is they fall somewhere in between. Above horrible, but short of an NCAA bid.

I think they make the tourney. We'll see.

That's pretty much my opinion as well. I was at the TCU NIT game, and even though the Hawks lost I was thinking 'this team has the players/talent to be really good next year.' Hopefully the team can get the "fun factor" back this coming year.

That's pretty much my opinion as well. I was at the TCU NIT game, and even though the Hawks lost I was thinking 'this team has the players/talent to be really good next year.' Hopefully the team can get the "fun factor" back this coming year.
After last year, I am giving up predicting how the team will do. I am usually pretty good at assessing and predicting, but I was missed the mark by 8 or 9 wins. I thought the Hawks would finish 4th or 5th in the B1G. I think Baer's injury and Connor being out had some impact, but I was totally wrong.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
After last year, I am giving up predicting how the team will do. I am usually pretty good at assessing and predicting, but I was missed the mark by 8 or 9 wins. I thought the Hawks would finish 4th or 5th in the B1G. I think Baer's injury and Connor being out had some impact, but I was totally wrong.

Anyone who claims they were right about last season would be lying. I wasn't all that confident in the team, but no way I could have fathomed just how bad they would be.

I want to see more fight, more floor burns for a loose ball. I get the limitations on defense, but extra passion, communication, and hard work can at least make the times they are in a zone much more effective. Use the length, basketball iq, then maximize communication and leadership and that is what will get them wins when they don’t score 80 or more. It’s probably the difference between a tourney run or another disappointing season.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Anyone who claims they were right about last season would be lying. I wasn't all that confident in the team, but no way I could have fathomed just how bad they would be.

I’m sure there’s a way to look it up but I’d like to know where the Hawks 3pt% defense ranks among the all time worst for big ten conference games. There can’t be many worse, ever.

I want to see more fight, more floor burns for a loose ball. I get the limitations on defense, but extra passion, communication, and hard work can at least make the times they are in a zone much more effective. Use the length, basketball iq, then maximize communication and leadership and that is what will get them wins when they don’t score 80 or more. It’s probably the difference between a tourney run or another disappointing season.
Yes, I want to see the basketball team play like the football team did against Ohio State last year, every game. That's how you win a national championship. And the football team needs to play like that every game also.

I’m sure there’s a way to look it up but I’d like to know where the Hawks 3pt% defense ranks among the all time worst for big ten conference games. There can’t be many worse, ever.

Since the 2003-2004 season, there has been only one team close to Iowa's allowed percentage of 42.9% last season, and that was Nebraska who allowed 42.5 % of 3PT shots to be made in the 2016-2017 season (conference play only).

Last edited:
Reactions: hawki1968
Since the 2003-2004 season, there has been only one team close to Iowa's allowed percentage of 42.9% last season, and that was Nebraska who allowed 42.5 % of 3PT shots to be made in the 2016-2017 season (conference play only).

I figured as much. It gives me hope that the season was some statistical outlier.

I figured as much. It gives me hope that the season was some statistical outlier.
I think it was not just being unlucky. Iowa's defense sucked last year, and if the players don't improve their execution and effort significantly, they will suck again. In some games, Iowa did almost nothing to stop the other team from getting the shots they wanted.

I think it was not just being unlucky. Iowa's defense sucked last year, and if the players don't improve their execution and effort significantly, they will suck again. In some games, Iowa did almost nothing to stop the other team from getting the shots they wanted.

We were bad, no doubt. But as legend said it was a historically bad 3pt defensive season. There is also research by Ken pomeroy that shows defensive 3pt% largely being a product of chance. So, even if we play defense the exact same way we could reasonably expect some decent improvement at the end of the court.

We were bad, no doubt. But as legend said it was a historically bad 3pt defensive season. There is also research by Ken pomeroy that shows defensive 3pt% largely being a product of chance. So, even if we play defense the exact same way we could reasonably expect some decent improvement at the end of the court.

I am not sure...normally there is some pressure put on shooters, but last year seemed to be an over abundance of open looks, which is one of the main reasons it skewed so high, imo.

I am trying to see if "open shots" is tracked by any of the stat companies and will post that info if I get it.

Does anyone personally know any car dealership owners in or around Iowa City? From my understanding they can play a key role in landing this type of player.

The argument of 3pt % defense being chance is based on the idea that the majority 3pt shots are usually wide open and it really depends on how good at shooting the opponent is.

If you face a lot of poor shooting teams your percentage will look good and vice versa.

There's obviously some validity to that argument but I absolutely dont believe you can't eliminate defensive pressure on shooters as a variable.

There has to be a correlation between Iowas defense giving up constant open shots and the opponent shooting a high percentage on the year.

$$$

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...arquette-Michigan-Ohio-State-Xavier-118491746

EDIT: Here's the relevant quote.

"Right now I plan to make a visit to all six of those colleges and stuff and my recruiting is still open so it’s not my final six but I just had to lower it down because it got a little stressful, so I’m still open to recruitment."
Kid seems to be very honest, and probably doesn't know exactly how to proceed. Leaving your options open only makes sense, even if it sucks for teams like Iowa that have been on him for a long time. It's hard not to hate teams like UK, Duke, NC, etc.

$$$

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...arquette-Michigan-Ohio-State-Xavier-118491746

EDIT: Here's the relevant quote.

"Right now I plan to make a visit to all six of those colleges and stuff and my recruiting is still open so it’s not my final six but I just had to lower it down because it got a little stressful, so I’m still open to recruitment."

Hard not to draw the conclusion he is inviting the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world to make their pitch.

Kid seems to be very honest, and probably doesn't know exactly how to proceed. Leaving your options open only makes sense, even if it sucks for teams like Iowa that have been on him for a long time. It's hard not to hate teams like UK, Duke, NC, etc.

2b0lue.jpg

Hard not to draw the conclusion he is inviting the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world to make their pitch.

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too. And he had some pretty glowing things to say about Michigan, too. There's a long way to go yet, but things aren't looking great for him coming to Iowa right now.

Patrick won't necessarily stand out on an Iowa City West team. I totally agree with the poster who said that same thing, because they are usually so loaded with talent that they play a balanced game. Two new recruits, I mean transfers, coming in next year to West, so the beat goes on.
Who would those two be for West?

Good interview with Patrick by Sean Bock. He had some comments about trying to get DJ and TJD to come to Iowa:

The lone commit in the 2019 class, McCaffery is in constant contact with players his dad, Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery, and the rest of the staff are recruiting. Two of them being five-star guard DJ Carton and five-star forward Trayce Jackson-Davis.

“I’m pretty optimistic about it," McCaffery said when asked how the rest of the 2019 class is shaping up. "I talk to DJ a lot, Trayce Jackson-Davis, and a couple of my AAU teammates. I think we’re going to get a couple more good guys in here.”

He continued, “I talk to DJ all the time. I have a snap streak on Snapchat with him. I talk to Trayce about two or three times a week, text him, Facetime him, whatever trying to get them to come and let them know they’re making the right decision.”

Last edited:
Good interview with Patrick by Sean Bock. He had some comments about trying to get DJ and TJD to come to Iowa:

The lone commit in the 2019 class, McCaffery is in constant contact with players his dad, Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery, and the rest of the staff are recruiting. Two of them being five-star guard DJ Carton and five-star forward Trayce Jackson-Davis.

“I’m pretty optimistic about it," McCaffery said when asked how the rest of the 2019 class is shaping up. "I talk to DJ a lot, Trayce Jackson-Davis, and a couple of my AAU teammates. I think we’re going to get a couple more good guys in here.”

He continued, “I talk to DJ all the time. I have a snap streak on Snapchat with him. I talk to Trayce about two or three times a week, text him, Facetime him, whatever trying to get them to come and let them know they’re making the right decision.”

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...-Center-Grove-193528/CurrentExpertPredictions

Who would those two be for West?

I expect that the Brauns kid transferring in from Regina will be a fairly higher level prospect if he continues to expand his skill set. You can’t teach his size certainly, but to expect him to rise above Patrick’s level is a bit optimistic at this point in time considering he’ll be a junior this year. I didn’t hear about the other West transfer but I doubt he’ll be considered a better prospect than PMac.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT