ADVERTISEMENT

DJ now a 5 ⭐️

giphy.gif

He's getting up in the area where you expect him to only be in college 1-2 years.

TOS also dropped Patrick to #80, which is laughable.

Big honor for DJ though. Gotta think Rivals gives him a similar bump. He’s earned it. Hope he ends up a Hawk!

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Definitely don't want any blue bloods sweeping in and blowing smoke up DJ's behind. Already tough competition, but Iowa seems to have a great shot.

Not that it couldn't happen, but it's getting a little late in the game for blue bloods to steal him away. Plus most of them have PGs already lined up for 2019.

It's a huge drop for a player who was previously top 50 and by all accounts has had a great AAU season.

Isn't Patrick a year older than most in his class? May not be a case of him dropping as much as it is others catching up to him. I have no clue, but I doubt there is a huge conspiracy going on here.

Not laughable, Patrick will take 2-3 years to contrubute and doesn’t project into the NBA. He shouldn’t have been in the top 50, but for his growth spurt when he was young. If he is done growing he will be a slow tweener wing in college and won’t stand out.

Seems likely he will be courted by a big boy program. If someone like Self or Williams shows interest it would be in no way surprising to hear that Carton has expanded his schools under consideration. Kids can't help but have their heads turned if one of the consistent powerhouses come calling.

Reactions: mick82
I completely agree.

Patrick is a good player and being in the top 100 is a high level recruit. I think he will find his role at Iowa and be a solid contributor.

Quite honestly though, if he is already committed to Iowa....what difference does it make on his recruiting ranking? I haven't seen his AAU games, but in his IC West games last year he wasn't necessarily the best player on the court every game. A top 50 player would definitely stand out and frequently take over games...especially here in Iowa. I don't believe he really did that.

Not laughable, Patrick will take 2-3 years to contrubute and doesn’t project into the NBA. He shouldn’t have been in the top 50, but for his growth spurt when he was young. If he is done growing he will be a slow tweener wing in college and won’t stand out.

5* but....

Weiskamp - 54 points
Carton's entire team - 50 points.

Because high school games are the best indicator of future college or NBA success. By that standard, Xavier Foster isn't a very good player as he was the third-leading scorer on his own team in the 3A title game. Yet's he's looked as Top 30-ish talent or better for his class. Wieskamp and Carton are both terrific, but how a guy does against Iowa high school competition has very little impact on their ranking or predicting future success in Division I basketball.

ICW rarely has that player. They typically have a lot of talent and grind it out, not a good combination for standing out. But all of those guys end up being pretty damn good college players.

I'll take that bet. Have you seen his latest video? He is not slow, is not a tweener and has some hops. I think top 30 was always a stretch but my guess is he belongs more like top 50 and will make an immediate impact. His ball handling and defense alone will get him immediate playing time.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I completely agree.

Patrick is a good player and being in the top 100 is a high level recruit. I think he will find his role at Iowa and be a solid contributor.

Quite honestly though, if he is already committed to Iowa....what difference does it make on his recruiting ranking? I haven't seen his AAU games, but in his IC West games last year he wasn't necessarily the best player on the court every game. A top 50 player would definitely stand out and frequently take over games...especially here in Iowa. I don't believe he really did that.
Ummmm. Nothing else to say. Well, I do, but will pass.

Keep on ignoring facts and reality

Big honor for DJ though. Gotta think Rivals gives him a similar bump. He’s earned it. Hope he ends up a Hawk!

I looked and couldn't find that. I saw where 247 sports had Patrick at #48.....which site is it? I would like to check that out. Thanks in advance.

Patrick won't necessarily stand out on an Iowa City West team. I totally agree with the poster who said that same thing, because they are usually so loaded with talent that they play a balanced game. Two new recruits, I mean transfers, coming in next year to West, so the beat goes on.

Reactions: Sheahawk
Fran needs to lock that one up. This might be his "LaFrentz" moment at Iowa in a way because of the need of the position right now and the growing hostility in the fan base.

Fran needs to lock that one up. This might be his "LaFrentz" moment at Iowa in a way because of the need of the position right now and the growing hostility in the fan base.
I see the similarities in the player situation. Unless there's a change at AD, though, Fran isn't going to have to worry about fallout. So what if the fan base is upset? If the guy in charge isn't really bothered then Fran does't have anything to be concerned about.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Feel free to chime if you disagree, but i don’t sense a lot of hostility right now outside of this site and Twitter, which is basically the worst of all fans.

Talking to most casual fans, other season holders, and donors I just don’t feel like many are near the point of frustration yet.

Because high school games are the best indicator of future college or NBA success. By that standard, Xavier Foster isn't a very good player as he was the third-leading scorer on his own team in the 3A title game. Yet's he's looked as Top 30-ish talent or better for his class. Wieskamp and Carton are both terrific, but how a guy does against Iowa high school competition has very little impact on their ranking or predicting future success in Division I basketball.

Sigh....you’re missing the point but don’t worry about it

Feel free to chime if you disagree, but i don’t sense a lot of hostility right now outside of this site and Twitter, which is basically the worst of all fans.

Talking to most casual fans, other season holders, and donors I just don’t feel like many are near the point of frustration yet.

I don't think most Iowa fans think about basketball enough to care.

Reactions: IGot5onIt

Everyone I talk to is basically giving him a pass for last year if this year is a success. I think he knows there is a lot of pressure on getting to the tourney and doing something this year. I love Fran for what he pulled us out of but 3 (if you count the Tenn game) appearances and 1 win in 9 years just isnt going to cut it. Not for me anyway.

Reactions: IGot5onIt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT