ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic has Won 24 Grand Slams. Nadal at 22, Federer at 20. Djokovic Year End World #1 a Record 8 Times & World #1 a Record 404 Weeks(Federer at 310)

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
June 4, 2024 Update:

Novak Djokovic won his 24th major championship when he beat Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 in the 2023 US Open final.

The 2024 season has not gone so well. Novak was upset by Jannik Sinner 6-1, 6-2, 6-7, 6-3 in the semis of the Australian Open (Sinner would go on to win the championship). Novak was forced to withdraw prior to his scheduled French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the right knee meniscus injury he sustained in his 4th-round, 5-set win over Francisco Cerundolo (Djokovic said he was hurt in the 2nd set). Novak withdrawing ended his French Open title defense and meant he would relinquish the No. 1 world ranking.

Djokovic has won 24 titles in 73 major tournaments he has entered since his 2005 debut. He has reached the final in 36 of those 73 Slams.

Djokovic leads Roger Federer 24-20 in career Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has won 12 of the last 21 major tournaments he has participated in (it would have been 13 of 21 had he not been disqualified at the 2020 US Open for striking a line judge with a ball). He did not participate in 2 majors during this span because of his refusal to get vaccinated for covid (Novak was deported from Australia in Jan 2022 before the Australian Open and he was not allowed to fly to the United States ahead of the 2022 US Open under a covid rule that has since been lifted).

Some consider Roger Federer the GOAT. It appears that way of thinking has changed as the Djoker has not only passed Federer in career grand slam titles, but he has now passed Nadal as well.

Federer officially retired on Sep 23, 2022, after partnering with Nadal in doubles in the 5th edition of the Laver Cup. Federer and Nadal competed against each other 40 times in their careers, with 24 of those matchups taking place in tournament finals. Nadal held a 24-16 record over Federer, and a 14-10 record in finals.

(24 Grand Slam Titles, 404 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
3 French Opens

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 209 weeks as World #1) Nadal has won:

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

(20 Grand Slam Titles, 310 weeks as World #1) Federer has won:

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

16: Federer
14: Sampras
..9: Nadal
...1...Djokovic

Grand Slam titles since 2011:
23. Djokovic
13: Nadal
.4: Federer

Here's when the Big 3 and Carlos Alcaraz won their first major:

At age 19, in 2022--Alcaraz's 1st Grand Slam win, at the US Open

At age 20, in 2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He defeated Roger Federer in the semi-finals & interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors.

At age 19, in 2005
--Nadal's 1st Grand Slam win, at the the French Open

At age 22, in 2003--Federer's 1st Grand Slam win, at Wimbledon

Other records:

* Djokovic ended the 2023 season/year at World #1 for a record-extending 8th time. Pete Sampras is 2nd at six times.

* The 2023 US Open was Djokovic's 36th Major Final (most all-time, men & women).

* At the 2024 Australian Open, Djokovic reached his record-extending 48th Grand Slam semifinal when he beat Taylor Fritz 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in 3 3/4 hours.

* Finished 2023 winning a record-breaking 7th ATP Finals Championship (the season-ending tournament for the year's top 8 players). Roger Federer is 2nd with 6 championships.

* Has become the first player to hold the World #1 ranking for 400 weeks (Roger Federer, at 310, is the only other man to eclipse the 300-week mark).

Overall Grand Slam Titles:

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

* 13 of the 24 came before professionals were admitted to the Slam events.

Most Years With 3 Or More Major Titles -- Men & Women All-Time

Margaret Court5
Steffi Graf5
Novak Djokovic4*
Roger Federer3

* 2023, 2021, 2015 and 2011

Top 5: Overall Weeks as World #1:

404 Novak Djokovic
377 Steffi Graf
332 Martina Navratilova
319 Serena Williams
310 Roger Federer

(209 Rafael Nadal)

Top 4: Year-end World #1 Finishes:

With his win Sunday, Nov 19, 2023, at the ATP Finals, Novak Djokovic clinched his 8th ATP year-end No. 1 finish -- tying Steffi Graf for the most in ATP or WTA Rankings history.

Novak Djokovic8
Steffi Graf8
Martina Navratilova7
Pete Sampras6

Of Note:

On March 20, 2023, Nadal's streak of 912 weeks in the ATP's top 10, the longest in ATP rankings history by a landslide, came to an end. The last time Rafa had been ranked outside the top 10 was in April 2005.

Current List of Most Weeks at ATP World #1:

Last edited:
There’s a good chance that he’ll be three behind again after Roland Garros. Still, he’s got a decent shot. I don’t think he’ll do it this year, but it certainly could happen in 2022 or later if he stays healthy. I wouldn’t bet against it. He was in peak form today, no doubt.

What the big 3 have done in majors over the last 15+ years is ridiculous.

Fed is the king of Wimbledon
Rafa is the king of the French
Djoker is the king of the Aussie
The US Open has a bunch of kings. Of the big 3, Fed leads (with 5) over Rafa (4) and Djoker (3)

Last edited:
There’s a good chance that he’ll be three behind again after Roland Garros. Still, he’s got a decent shot. I don’t think he’ll do it this year, but it certainly could happen in 2022 or later if he stays healthy. I wouldn’t bet against it. He was in peak form today, no doubt.

What the big 3 have done in majors over the last 15+ years is ridiculous.

Fed is the king of Wimbledon
Rafa is the king of the French
Djoker is the king of the Aussie
The US Open has a bunch of kings. Of the big 3, Fed leads (with 5) over Rafa (4) and Djoker (3)
The math looks good for Djokovic. He is about a year younger than Nadal and 6 1/2 younger than Federer, who turns 40 in August. Federer hasn't competed in more than a year after having two knee operations but is expected to turn to the tour next month.

2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors

--Nadal's 1st Grand Slam win, at the the French Open

2003--Fed's 1st Grand Slam win, at Wimbledon

The past 15 years have been unreal for mens Tennis. I would have never guessed Pete's 14 would have been passed, the fact 3 men have is unreal. Federer IMO is the best player of the three, with Djokovic a close second who will eventually be considered the GOAT

The past 15 years have been unreal for mens Tennis. I would have never guessed Pete's 14 would have been passed, the fact 3 men have is unreal. Federer IMO is the best player of the three, with Djokovic a close second who will eventually be considered the GOAT

Federer is the greatest technical player I’ve ever seen. Djokovic is the fittest tennis player. Nadal the most powerful elite player. It’s been so fun to watch the interplay. The last two decades have been the highest point in the sport.

Since 2004, only four men have been ranked No. 1 in the world:

Novak Djokovic (311 weeks)
Roger Federer (310)
Rafael Nadal (209)
Andy Murray (41).

Djokovic, Federer and Nadal have now won 58 of the past 70 Grand Slams,

70 Grand Slams, of course, cover roughly the last 17.5 years.

Full Story:

Reactions: NoleinATL
Nadal picks his butt.

Seriously, what a disappointing mens final today.

I don't think Federer will win another major. The way Nadal lost in the semi's may leave a mark on him for a while.

Pros should have stuck to wood rackets.

giphy.gif

I really thought Medvedev would play better. He rolled in the semifinal and I think he could be a great player. Not today. I'm glad I got up when I did or I would have missed it. I was expecting more than 3 sets.

I think Djoker is better than the other 2. He runs better than any player on the planet.

Nadal picks his butt.

Seriously, what a disappointing mens final today.

I don't think Federer will win another major. The way Nadal lost in the semi's may leave a mark on him for a while.
when will we see an American win a major again?

In 2003, Andy Roddick won the U.S. Open and earlier in the year, Andre Agassi won the Australian Open.

Crazy 18 YEAR drought.

Reactions: bowlhawk
when will we see an American win a major again?

In 2003, Andy Roddick won the U.S. Open and earlier in the year, Andre Agassi won the Australian Open.

Crazy 18 YEAR drought.
I bet never. Tennis just isn’t a big deal here anymore like other sports.
Day after day I drive by empty courts. Or they’re filled with boomers playing doubles.

Reactions: SoProudNole
I bet never. Tennis just isn’t a big deal here anymore like other sports.
Day after day I drive by empty courts. Or they’re filled with boomers playing doubles.
true but sampras and agassi showed up randomly too. i predict there a sudden run of talent anytime now

I hear ya regarding courts being constantly empty. I have also seen former courts redeveloped into something else.

I mentioned above that roughly over the last 17.5 years, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal have won 58 of the past 70 Grand Slams,

Here’s who won the other 12. Roddick, of course, is the only American.
Murray - 3
Wawrinka - 3
Roddick - 1
Gaudio - 1
Safin - 1
Cilic - 1
Del Potro - 1
Thiem - 1

Source:

@NoleinATL @mnole03 @ihawk in FWB @DooBi

He has now won 9 Australian Opens, 5 Wimbledon, 3 U.S. Opens & 1 French Open.

Federer & Nadal lead the race for career Grand Slam titles, each winning 20.

Djokovic, however, is rapidly catching up to them. He has won 6 of the last 10 major tournaments (it would have been 7 of 10 had he not been disqualified at last year's US Open for striking a line judge with a ball).

Most consider Federer the GOAT. It appears that way of thinking will soon change as the Djoker not only catches Fed & Nadal in career grand slam titles, but passes them by.

Novak now has a great chance at winning the French, Wimbledon, & the US Open this year to reach 21 Grand Slams, passing both Federer & Nadal.

Incredible.

Male tennis players with the most Grand Slam tournament titles won:

20 Federer
20 Nadal
18 Djokovic
14 Sampras

Having now won both majors held in 2021, and being the obvious favorite entering Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympics, Djokovic has a chance to join Steffi Graf as the only players to achieve the Golden Slam.

Djokovic is the reigning champion at Wimbledon and will be the tournament's top seed.

Male tennis players with the most Grand Slam tournament titles won:

20 Federer
20 Nadal
19 Djokovic
14 Sampras

The last 3 sets were next level, just outstanding display of tennis by Djokovic

Just read today that Tsitsipas found out his grandmother died right before match started, got to feel for that young man.

The 3rd set against Nadal was probably the highest level of play ever seen in a tennis match. Unreal on both sides. Djoker is absolutely on fire.

Getting that second French Open was huge for his already-amazing legacy.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Cool story. Fun read. Thanks.

Federer was 29 years old with 16 Grand Slams; I didn't think anyone would ever catch him, let alone pass him

I remember John McEnroe calling Pete the GOAT. But then Roger won his 15th and McEnroe and many others were (and have been) saying Fed is the Greatest of all time.

Seems like GOAT status changes a lot, regardless of the sport.

Federer was 29 years old with 16 Grand Slams; I didn't think anyone would ever catch him, let alone pass him

I remember John McEnroe calling Pete the GOAT. But then Roger won his 15th and McEnroe and many others were (and have been) saying Fed is the Greatest of all time.

Seems like GOAT status changes a lot, regardless of the sport.
I agree that it changes but I'm fairly confident these 3 will be in that conversation for a long long time. I just don't see the next generation guys winning anywhere near as many titles as these guys have.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I am hoping Federer can make a magical run at Wimbledon, as it is obvious now that father time has caught up with Roger and it would be a great story to get one more title.

Djokovic cruises to the Wimbledon semi-finals in straight sets.

Federer is routed in straight sets. Is this it for him (after the US Open) or one final year?

Watch:

Djokovic is your 2021 Wimbledon Champion.

The 34-year-old from Serbia is now the only man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win the first three major tournaments in a season.

The original post has been updated.

Also....

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

Slam titles since 2011:
19. Djokovic
11: Nadal

Last edited:
Djokovic is your 2021 Wimbledon Champion.

The original post has been updated.

Also....

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

Slam titles since 2011:
19. Djokovic
11: Nadal
He’s pretty much been a machine. ..
I’ve always like the ladies side more fun to watch.(Not just because of the obvious reasons😉) the tennis actually has some back and forth rallies. Too much men’s game is the overpowering serve. Just MO of course

Prime Federer is the GOAT, IMO. All things considered.

I think as the gap in Grand Slam titles and weeks as world #1 widen, the GOAT will be pretty clear.

Also, if Djokovic wins all four majors and Olympic gold this year, he will be the only male tennis player to accomplish that. Steffi Graf did as well.

I am a Nadal fan, and never really cared for Djokovic.

But when you have to name the GOAT? The numbers don't lie; it's hard to deny who sits on top.

Check this out & Watch:

Djokovic is now the only man since Rod Laver in 1969 (52 years ago) to win the first three major tournaments in a season.

On paper, he'll definitely end up as the best ever. What I'm saying is that the best version of Federer would consistently beat the best version of Djokovic. Just my opinion. It's impossible to truly know, because their primes didn't occur simultaneously.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT