ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic has Won 24 Grand Slams. Nadal at 22, Federer at 20. Djokovic Year End World #1 a Record 8 Times & World #1 a Record 404 Weeks(Federer at 310)

Men's and women's finals were anticlimactic to say the least. I think Gauf will be back in a big way over the next 10 years. Also the new bloods will have to take over men's tennis eventually right? Right?
Not sure about Coco. I see her as a definite top 10 for her career but the womens tour is so unpredictable these days. Look at Osaka. She was poised to dominate and can hardly win a match anymore. I think Rafa only has another year or 2 I would think. Tops. Djoker is supremely fit, could definitely play 4-5 more years. But yes, at some point some of these young guys need to win something. That was embarrassing for Ruud today. And Rafa was basically playing on a foot with no feeling in it.

Not sure about Coco. I see her as a definite top 10 for her career but the womens tour is so unpredictable these days. Look at Osaka. She was poised to dominate and can hardly win a match anymore. I think Rafa only has another year or 2 I would think. Tops. Djoker is supremely fit, could definitely play 4-5 more years. But yes, at some point some of these young guys need to win something. That was embarrassing for Ruud today. And Rafa was basically playing on a foot with no feeling in it.
Yeah, I see similarities between Coco and Osaka, but I think Coco is more mentally fit. Osaka changed her country of origin because of the blm protests which is fine but I think it shows she takes more on her shoulders than just tennis. She crumbled under the pressure. I don't see Gauf having the same problems. And that's not to say Osaka couldn't come out of it and have an amazing career. I hope she does.

Today, Novak Djokovic won his 21st Grand Slam, winning Wimbledon. He beat Nick Kyrgios 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3).

Djokovic now leads Federer 21-20 in career Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has won 9 of the last 16 major tournaments (it would have been 10 of 16 had he not been disqualified at the 2020 US Open for striking a line judge with a ball).

Most consider Federer the GOAT. It appears that way of thinking will soon change (if it hasn't already) as the Djoker has not only passed Federer in career grand slam titles, but it appears he will eventually pass Nadal as well.

(22) Nadal (209 weeks as World #1) has won:

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

(21) Djokovic (373 weeks as World #1) has won:

9 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
3 U.S. Opens
2 French Opens

(20) Federer (310 weeks as World #1) has won:

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

16: Federer
14: Sampras
..9: Nadal
...1...Djokovic

Grand Slam titles since 2011:
20. Djokovic
13: Nadal
.4: Federer

2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors

--Nadal's 1st Grand Slam win, at the the French Open

2003--Fed's 1st Grand Slam win, at Wimbledon

Djokovic ended the 2021 season/year at #1 for a record 7th time.

Overall Grand Slam Titles:

24 Margaret Court
23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
21 Novak Djokovic
20 Roger Federer

Current List of Most Weeks at ATP No. 1:

Last edited:
January 29, 2023 Update:

Today, Novak Djokovic won his 22nd Grand Slam, winning the Australian Open for the 10th time. He beat Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 7-6, 7-6.

Djokovic now leads Federer 22-20 in career Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has won 10 of the last 17 major tournaments (it would have been 11 of 17 had he not been disqualified at the 2020 US Open for striking a line judge with a ball).

Most consider Federer the GOAT. It appears that way of thinking will soon change (if it hasn't already) as the Djoker has not only passed Federer in career grand slam titles, but it appears he will soon pass Nadal as well.

Federer officially retired on Sep 23, 2022, after partnering with Nadal in doubles in the 5th edition of the Laver Cup. Federer and Nadal competed against each other 40 times in their careers, with 24 of those matchups taking place in tournament finals. Nadal held a 24-16 record over Federer, and a 14-10 record in finals.

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 373 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
3 U.S. Opens
2 French Opens

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 209 weeks as World #1) Nadal has won:

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

(20 Grand Slam Titles, 310 weeks as World #1) Federer has won:

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

21. Djokovic

2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors

Djokovic ended the 2021 season/year at #1 for a record 7th time.

24 Margaret Court
23 Serena Williams
22 Novak Djokovic
22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Current List of Most Weeks at ATP No. 1:

I wish you wouldn't put the spoiler in the thread title. Especially for an event that started at 230 in the morning. I recorded it and am watching it now thar I am awake.

I mean, it was pretty much guaranteed he was going to win but still.

Will Novak win his 23rd Grand Slam at the French?

24 Margaret Court
23 Serena Williams
22 Novak Djokovic
22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Overall Weeks as World #1:

387 Novak Djokovic
377 Steffi Graf
332 Martina Navratilova
319 Serena Williams
310 Roger Federer

(209 Rafael Nadal)

Story from the Associated Press:

Novak Djokovic motivated to pass Rafael Nadal at French Open

May 27, 2023

PARIS -- For quite some time, Novak Djokovic has made his long-term goal clear: He wanted to focus on accumulating Grand Slam titles to surpass the totals of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

With the French Open set to start Sunday without either Nadal (who is injured) or Federer (who is retired) for the first time since 1998, Djokovic finally gets the chance to lead the career standings alone with a men's-record 23. If he winds up with the championship in two weeks, Djokovic would break a tie with Nadal and have three more trophies than Federer.

"It's no secret that one of the main reasons I play today and compete in professional tennis is to try to break more records and make more history in tennis," Djokovic said Saturday. "That's extremely motivating and inspiring for me."

Djokovic's current collection of 22 majors -- two at Roland Garros, in 2016 and 2021; three at the US Open; seven at Wimbledon and 10 at the Australian Open, including this past January -- means he owns 16 more than the other 127 men in the bracket in Paris combined. Stan Wawrinka has won three, while Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev and Dominic Thiem have one apiece.

"Grand Slams are a different tournament, a different sport in a way, because you're playing best-of-five [sets], you are playing in the most important tournaments in the world," said Djokovic, a 36-year-old from Serbia, "and the experience is on my side."

It's why when other players are asked who enters as the favorite in Nadal's absence, they often mention two names: Alcaraz, who is ranked No. 1 and is 20-2 with a tour-high three titles on red clay in 2023, and Djokovic, who is 5-3 this season on the surface used at the French Open.

Why point to Djokovic?

"Because Novak has won so many times," said Casper Ruud, the runner-up to Nadal at Roland Garros and to Alcaraz at the US Open last year. "This year's clay season has been maybe not what he expected, but I'm sure he has good confidence in himself."

Djokovic, for his part, pronounced the 20-year-old Alcaraz as "the biggest favorite," citing "the last few months, and the kind of shape and the form that he's having -- and that I'm having."

Ranked No. 3, Djokovic could meet Alcaraz in the semifinals.

Djokovic, who has a chance to become the only man in tennis history with at least three titles from each major, also mentioned several other contenders, including Ruud, Medvedev, Holger Rune, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev and Jannik Sinner.

Djokovic was in something of a contemplative mood on the eve of the event, explaining how much harder things are on his body at this age and that he views each Grand Slam tournament he competes in nowadays "like a present" (leaving aside any discussion of majors he missed because he didn't get vaccinated against COVID-19).

His most heartfelt comments came when he was asked about Nadal, the 14-time champion in Paris who has been sidelined since January with a hip injury.

After beginning with a joke that made reference to Nadal's 8-2 edge head-to-head at Roland Garros -- "Honestly, I don't miss him being in the draw, you know" -- Djokovic turned more serious. He reflected on their intertwined paths and said he got emotional when hearing Nadal say 2024 probably will be his final year on tour.

"He's my biggest rival. When he announced that he's going to have his last season of his career, I felt part of me is leaving with him too, if you know what I mean," Djokovic said. "I feel that he was one of the most, I would say, impactful people that I have ever had in my career, the growth of my career, and me as a player. Definitely a great motivational factor for me to keep playing and keep competing and keep pushing each other. Who's going to achieve more? Who's going to do better? It made me wonder. It made me think about my career and how long I'm going to play."

And then he paused and smiled before delivering this line -- perhaps for clarity's sake, perhaps for the laughs he knew it would bring: "I'm not going to make any announcement today."

Last edited:
I've not seen Alcaraz play on clay but he is the world #1 and when his game is on he's amazing. I haven't really seen the draw but I'd love to see he and Djoker in the final.

Djokavich decided to get political about Kosovo at the absolute worst time. He continues to be ass.

I've not seen Alcaraz play on clay but he is the world #1 and when his game is on he's amazing. I haven't really seen the draw but I'd love to see he and Djoker in the final.

Alcaraz is very, very talented.

Unfortunately, current world #1 Carlos Alcaraz (#1 seed at the French) and 22-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic (#3 seed at the French) could meet in the French Open semi-finals after being placed in the same half of the men's singles draw.

The other half of the draw: #2 seed Medvedev lost in the 1st round in 4 sets. #4 seed Casper Ruud is still alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: DooBi
Alcaraz is very, very talented.

Unfortunately, current world #1 Carlos Alcaraz (#1 seed at the French) and 22-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic (#3 seed at the French) could meet in the French Open semi-finals after being placed in the same half of the men's singles draw.

The other half of the draw: #2 seed Medvedev lost in the 1st round in 4 sets.

It was very disappointing to see the draws. Medvedev is an amazing player, just not on grass or clay (despite winning the Italian Open a week-plus ago). Common sense needs to come into play. Rune is the only player left in the bottom half of the draw that could legitimately beat an Alcaraz/Djokovic/Tsitsipas in a final. I suppose it's possible for Coric, too, but he would need to summon up the match of his lifetime.

On the bright side, Fritz and Tiafoe have to really like their positions in the lower half of the draw.....especially since Sinner lost today.

Reactions: Franisdaman
So much for this being a close one....

Novak Djokovic beats Carlos Alcaraz in 4 sets, reaches French Open Final

• Associated Press
  • Jun 9, 2023, 11:46 AM CT

PARIS -- Novak Djokovic used every bit of his experience, relentlessness and fitness to beat a cramping Carlos Alcaraz 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1 at the French Open on Friday and move one win away from a record 23rd Grand Slam title.

The No. 1-ranked Alcaraz produced one particularly brilliant shot -- one that went viral within minutes and could be talked about for years -- en route to claiming the second set of what, at the time, was a closely contested and thrilling showdown.

But in the end, this highly anticipated matchup was as anti-climatic as can be.

That's because early in the third set, after nearly 2 1/2 hours of exertion and tension in 85-degree heat at Court Philippe Chatrier, Alcaraz's body began to lock up. First, his hand began to cramp. Then his legs. And so, at 1-all, Alcaraz needed to take a break and get treated by a trainer. Because it was not a changeover, Alcaraz was required to forfeit the following game and fell behind 2-1.

From there, it was pretty much all over. Djokovic, who is 36, was able to cruise to the finish against Alcaraz, who is 20, making for the widest age gap in a men's Grand Slam semifinal since 1991.

Here, Djokovic applauds Alcaraz after one of Alcaraz's few good moments in the match:

Last edited:

Will Novak (not vaccinated) be allowed to enter England and the US to play Wimbledon & the US Open?

Probably won't happen this year but sometime next year he should pass Margaret Court, which would be something.

24 Margaret Court
23 Serena Williams
22 Novak Djokovic
22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Will Novak (not vaccinated) be allowed to enter England and the US to play Wimbledon & the US Open?

Probably won't happen this year but sometime next year he should pass Margaret Court, which would be something.

24 Margaret Court
23 Serena Williams
22 Novak Djokovic
22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Yes

Although he is likely the best player of all-time, if he adds a 3rd title at Roland Garros, the GOAT debate is 100% over.

Although he is likely the best player of all-time, if he adds a 3rd title at Roland Garros, the GOAT debate is 100% over.

Remember when Pete Sampras (with 14 Grand Slams) was considered the GOAT?

I agree with you when it comes to the current GOAT. One stat I find amazing: at the start of 2011, Roger had 16 Grand Slams; Novak had just 1.

Where things stand now:

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 387 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
3 U.S. Opens
2 French Opens

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

21. Djokovic

Reactions: cfbfan23
Remember when Pete Sampras (with 14 Grand Slams) was considered the GOAT?

I agree with you when it comes to the current GOAT. One stat I find amazing: at the start of 2011, Roger had 16 Grand Slams; Novak had just 1.

Where things stand now:

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 387 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
3 U.S. Opens
2 French Opens

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

21. Djokovic

Roger turned 30 that year and Novak turned 24. I'm not surprised Fed's numbers started to go down, as 30 is a big number for a pro tennis player....just like it is for an NFL running back. Novak has simply been outstanding, not much, if any, of a drop-off for him after 30. Defying age right now.

I think if Fed wasn't so stubborn about ditching that Pro-Staff, I think he might have another major or two.

Reactions: littlez
Roger turned 30 that year and Novak turned 24. I'm not surprised Fed's numbers started to go down, as 30 is a big number for a pro tennis player....just like it is for an NFL running back. Novak has simply been outstanding, not much, if any, of a drop-off for him after 30. Defying age right now.

I think if Fed wasn't so stubborn about ditching that Pro-Staff, I think he might have another major or two.

I was surprised when Novak not only caught Roger at 20 Slams but blew right by him

My favorite of the big 3 is Nadal; I wish Nadal could have stayed healthy, similar to Novak.

When you look at Novak and his choices (when completely healthy): imagine if Novak had gotten vaccinated; he'd probably have another slam or 2. In addition to that, Novak was on his way to winning the 2020 US Open but was disqualified when he couldn't control his anger and struck a line judge with a ball.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic wins French Open, record 23rd Grand Slam men's title

• ESPN News Services

• Jun 11, 2023, 12:32 PM ET

PARIS -- Novak Djokovic made it clear for years that this was his goal. What drove him. What inspired him. The biggest titles from his sport's biggest stages were Djokovic's main aim, and now he finally stands alone -- ahead of Rafael Nadal, ahead of Roger Federer, ahead of every man who ever has swung a racket.

If Djokovic could wait this long to hold this record, he certainly could wait for the half-hour or so it took to straighten out his strokes in the French Open final. And so, after a bit of a shaky start in thick, humid air and under foreboding charcoal clouds Sunday, he imposed himself. His opponent at Court Philippe Chatrier, Casper Ruud, never really stood a serious chance after that.

Djokovic earned his record 23rd Grand Slam men's singles championship, breaking a tie with Nadal and moving three in front of the retired Federer, with a 7-6 (1), 6-3, 7-5 victory over Ruud that really was not in doubt for most of its 3 hours, 13 minutes.

Nadal congratulated Djokovic on Twitter, tweeting that it was an "amazing achievement."

Djokovic, 36, from Serbia, puts this one alongside the French Open titles he earned in 2016 and 2021, making him the only man with at least three from each major event. He has won 10 trophies at the Australian Open, seven at Wimbledon and three at the US Open.

"A Grand Slam is a Grand Slam -- four biggest tournaments that we have in the history of our sport, tennis. Every single player dreams of being on this stage and winning the trophy at least once in their career. I am beyond fortunate in my life to win, 23 times, Grand Slams," Djokovic said, wearing a red jacket with that special number stitched on the chest. "It's an incredible, incredible feeling."

Also worth noting: Djokovic is again halfway to a calendar-year Grand Slam -- winning all four majors in one season -- something no man has achieved since Rod Laver in 1969. Djokovic came close to pulling off that feat in 2021, when he won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon and made it all the way to the title match at the US Open before losing to Daniil Medvedev.

Djokovic will resume that pursuit at Wimbledon, which begins on the grass of the All England Club on July 3.

He has now held the trophy at 11 of the past 20 Slams, a remarkable run made even more so when considering that he did not participate in two majors during that span because he did not get vaccinated against COVID-19. Djokovic was deported from Australia in January 2022 before the Australian Open, and he was not allowed to fly to the United States ahead of last year's US Open under a rule that has since been lifted.

"Another day, another record for you," Ruud said, addressing Djokovic during the postmatch ceremony. "Another day you write tennis history. Just tough to explain how incredible it is and what an inspiration you are."

Getting to 23 not only sets the mark for men, but it also lets Djokovic equal Serena Williams, who wrapped up her career last year, for the most by anyone in the Open era, which began in 1968. Margaret Court won some of her record 24 Slam trophies in the amateur era.

At 20 days past his 36th birthday, Djokovic is the oldest singles champion at Roland Garros, considered the most grueling of the majors because of the lengthy, grinding points required by the red clay, which is slower than the grass or hard courts underfoot elsewhere.

Nadal's 22nd major arrived in Paris two days after he turned 36. He has been sidelined since January by a hip injury and had arthroscopic surgery on June 2.

As if all of that weren't enough, Djokovic's triumph Sunday also means he will return to No. 1 in the ATP rankings Monday, replacing Carlos Alcaraz of Spain. Djokovic already has spent more weeks at the top spot than any player -- man or woman -- since the inception of computerized tennis rankings a half-century ago.

It was Djokovic who eliminated Alcaraz in the semifinals Thursday, wearing him down over two thrilling sets until the 20-year-old's body cramped up badly. Alcaraz continued to play, but the scores of the last two sets of the four-set match told the story: 6-1, 6-1.

This was the third Slam final in the past five events for Ruud, 24, from Norway, but he is now 0-3. He lost to Nadal at the French Open a year ago and to Alcaraz at the US Open in September.

Perhaps due to an awareness of all that was at stake, Djokovic, in his 34th major final, was the one who got off to a shaky start.

Ruud emerged to a partial ovation and polite applause. More folks rose to their feet as a roar met Djokovic's entrance, followed by thunderous chants of his two-syllable nickname, "No-le! No-le! No-le!" That chorus resumed right before play began -- and repeatedly over the course of the afternoon, sometimes to celebrate his best moments, sometimes to encourage him.

As Djokovic reeled off 12 of the last 13 points to end things, dropping onto his back with limbs spread wide at the finish, the shouts of his name were thunderous.

The preferred method of saluting Ruud? Drawn-out, monotone pronouncements of his last name -- "Ruuuuuuuuuud" -- that sounded as if it were booing, which, of course, it was not.

At first, Ruud seemed to do whatever he could to test Djokovic's forehand, the weaker side. It paid off early, when Djokovic kept missing that stroke -- into the net, wide, long -- then made a different sort of mistake, shanking an overhead from near the net way beyond the opposite baseline to get broken and trail 2-0.

For whatever reason, that shot always has been Djokovic's "bête noire," and he missed another overhead later in the set.

Soon, Ruud led 4-1, thanks in part to Djokovic's troubles. By then, Djokovic accumulated 13 unforced errors, while Ruud made just four.

And then everything changed.

After finishing the first set with 18 unforced errors, Djokovic recalibrated himself, with merely 14 over the last two sets combined.

Then it was Ruud's turn to flub an overhead, rocking back and depositing his into the net to end a 29-stroke point. Djokovic's first service break made it 4-3, and he shook his right fist.

They went to a tiebreaker, truly Djokovic's dominion. When the import rises, along with the tension, he simply excels. Has forever, it seems.

During the first-to-seven segment, Djokovic contributed four winners and zero unforced errors.

That made his career mark in tiebreakers 308-162, a winning percentage of .655. In 2023, he's 15-4, including 6-0 in Paris -- there were 55 points played across that half-dozen, and Djokovic's sum total of unforced errors was zero.

That set alone lasted 1 hour, 21 minutes, chock full of extended exchanges, the sort of points about which entire stories could be written. There were those that lasted 20, 25, 29 strokes. One was won by Ruud with the help of a back-to-the-net, between-the-legs shot. On another, Djokovic tumbled behind the baseline, smudging his red shirt, blue shorts and skin with the rust-colored clay.

Djokovic's scrambling and stretching and bending and twisting on defense shows up on the scoreboard, for sure. But all of the long points also sap a foe's energy and will.

Helps as well, maybe, that Djokovic knows all the little ins and outs. He complained to chair umpire Damien Dumusois about how much time was being allotted for changeovers -- a little extra rest never hurt anyone, right? Djokovic took the 25-second serve clock down until it expired and occasionally beyond that, so much so that one voice from the seats exclaimed, "Serve it!" And Dumusois warned him for the time-taking in the third set.

When he broke Ruud to lead 3-0 in the second set, his powers now on full display, Djokovic jabbed his right index finger against his right temple over and over and over. He wheeled to face his nearby box in the stands, where the guests included his coach, Goran Ivanisevic, his wife and two children, his agent and even seven-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady.

The recently retired Brady is widely viewed as the NFL's greatest of all time -- or GOAT, for short -- and there has been a debate in the tennis world for quite some time over which among Djokovic, Nadal or Federer deserves that sobriquet.

If the barometer is Grand Slam championships, no one can argue against Djokovic's status at the moment.

Novak Djokovic's Grand Slam titles​

i

Novak Djokovic won the French Open on Sunday for his men's-record 23rd Grand Slam title. A breakdown of his titles by event:

GRAND SLAMTITLES
Australian Open10
French Open3
Wimbledon7
US Open3

i

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Novak has now won at least 3 titles in each of the 4 grand slams (something Nadal and Federer cannot claim). Federer won just one French title. And if Novak wins the next 2 slams, he'll not only complete the calendar slam, but pass Margaret Court.

24 Margaret Court
23 Novak Djokovic
23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Top 5: Overall Weeks as World #1:

387 Novak Djokovic
377 Steffi Graf
332 Martina Navratilova
319 Serena Williams
310 Roger Federer

(209 Rafael Nadal)

Looking at the Men only:

(23 Grand Slam Titles, 387 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
3 U.S. Opens
3 French Opens

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

...1...Djokovic

22. Djokovic

Djokovic ended the 2021 season/year at World #1 for a record 7th time.

In 2009, when Roger Federer overtook Pete Sampras' then-record of 14 Grand Slams, it seemed like the chance of anyone else getting close was slim. What Djokovic has done in reaching 23 -- and counting -- is unparalleled in the men's game. Providing he stays fit and motivated, he has every chance of setting a record that will never be broken.

Is more history ahead for Djokovic?

As the 7-time champion, Djokovic will head to Wimbledon full of confidence again, chasing what would be the third leg of the calendar-year Grand Slam. A win there would also see him equal Federer's men's record of 8 Wimbledon titles. Even before he beat Ruud on Sunday, he was already allowing talk of him emulating Rod Laver in 1969 as the only man to win all four Slams in the same year.

If that happens, then he will head to the US Open in the same position as 2021, where Djokovic was one match away, losing out to Daniil Medvedev in the final. As he likes to say, anything is possible.

The full story:

Last edited:
What Joker is doing at his age is absolutely unheard of. He’s so supremely fit, and clearly still 100% all in. His only physical problem over his career has been his elbow. If he stays healthy and hungry I see at least 3-4 more. Rafa is done. Roger retired and Murray trying to play after hip replacement surgery so he’s done as well. Crazy how good he is.

The experts from ESPN have a GOAT discussion.

If Djokovic wins Wimbledon, is he the Best Tennis Player in History?​

Bill Connelly: He already is. We can come up with different answers if we're talking about who the most aesthetically pleasing player was, or the most influential, or the most beloved. But if we're talking about the best, he's already won the crown. He came up in an era when Federer and Nadal were in their respective primes, he missed out on a few early-career Slam titles because of it, and he's still going to end up with the most.

Cliff Drysdale: By almost any definition, Djokovic is already the GOAT. The question may have been decided between the Big Three, but let the games begin, because the next Big Three are already lurking. So "all-time" may not last past the next generation, with Alcaraz, Rune and Sinner coming up.

Tom Hamilton: Rarely has there been a championship where there's such a clear favorite for the men's singles title. So expect Djokovic to win this Wimbledon, securing Grand Slam number 24 in the process. He's still got plenty of Slams left in him, so on numbers alone, he will establish himself as the greatest player in history. The GOAT debate is subjective -- it comes down to experience, fandom and preference. But Djokovic's record will stand the test of time.

James Blake: Yes. The only possible comparison at this point would be Serena Williams, and I think Djokovic's resume is the best, while in the generation with two other all-time greats.

D'Arcy Maine: Numbers don't lie, right? While I think an argument should be made in support of Serena Williams here for the best ever -- and the pregnancy and childbirth factor need to be taken into consideration -- Djokovic certainly should be considered the best men's tennis player of all time. His overall legacy is complex, and he still doesn't have the same level of admiration and popularity as others, but solely in terms of on-the-court success, he is the GOAT.

Pam Shriver:
If Djokovic wins his eighth Wimbledon, tying Federer, and going two past Rafael Nadal's 22 majors ... given how many weeks he's been at No. 1, how can you not say he's the best of all time?

Mary Joe Fernandez: He would solidify his position as the best even more.
If he wins the calendar Grand Slam then he really will set himself above his rivals and alongside Laver.

Alyssa Roenigk: You didn't ask if he's the best men's player, so I'm answering the question as it was asked. By the numbers, absolutely. And he's still racking up wins. That said, the GOAT debate is guided by emotion, intangibles and personal preference. Ask me again when he's at 29 Slams. But at No. 24, Serena still has the edge. She won her 23 titles through multiple eras of greats, at ages 17 and 35, influenced the way the game is played and won a major while two months pregnant. Until someone matches those stats, she remains the GOAT in my book.

Alexandra Stevenson: No. Not yet. History has a big expanse of players -- many of whom deserve notice for greatness.

24 Margaret Court
23 Novak Djokovic
23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Top 5: Overall Weeks as World #1:

389 Novak Djokovic
377 Steffi Graf
332 Martina Navratilova
319 Serena Williams
310 Roger Federer

(209 Rafael Nadal)

Last edited:
I'm disappointed the Kyrios is out again. That was a fun tournament last year. I've missed him all year.

Just finished that Netflix docu-series about tennis called Breakpoint...super interesting, is tennis on the upswing in term of popularity in America again?

Djoker has to be the heavy favorite here again this year. Kind of disappointing that at 36 he’s running roughshod over all these young guys still. And while I’m a Federer guy it’s clear Djoker is the greatest now. If he stays healthy he’ll get at least 2-3 more. On another note I’ll say making all the playing surfaces more the same now makes it easier to get grand slams. But it’s absolutely insane what the Big 3 have done.

Djoker has to be the heavy favorite here again this year. Kind of disappointing that at 36 he’s running roughshod over all these young guys still. And while I’m a Federer guy it’s clear Djoker is the greatest now. If he stays healthy he’ll get at least 2-3 more. On another note I’ll say making all the playing surfaces more the same now makes it easier to get grand slams. But it’s absolutely insane what the Big 3 have done.

For you or anyone that knows: what's the difference between the Australian Open and US Open surfaces and what affects does it have on the ball (ie, is one surface quicker?)?

An Alcaraz vs Djokovic final looks highly probable.

Alcaraz turned 20 on May 5. He's won one major so far (last year's US Open). If he stays healthy, I can see him having won 20 majors by the time he's 30.

We'll see.

For you or anyone that knows: what's the difference between the Australian Open and US Open surfaces and what affects does it have on the ball (ie, is one surface quicker?)?
So here’s the story on surfaces Fran. About 10 years ago (maybe a little longer) the tennis people thought the men’s game was getting boring. To fast and not enough rallies. So they slowed down all surfaces (including grass) so now basically all courts are kind of the same. In the old days a big server could go out and possibly win Wimbledon. See Ivanisivic, Becker, etc. Now I think it’s gone a little to much the other way. Which is now why Djokovic is almost unbeatable. Can’t serve him off the court, can’t outlast him, he never misses balls. I see him winning at least 3-5 more at a minimum unless he gets hurt. Or bored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT