ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree with this map?

having a Casey's should be a requirement to be considered in the midwest

caseysmap.png

Seems reasonable, I agree on bringing the eastern border in and maybe going a bit more west. And they show Chicago but no Minneapolis, further proof that Minneapolis has fallen!
I’d agree it all needs shifted west a little bit.

Did you notice that Chicago was the only US city listed on this map? Clearly that means it’s the best city out of all those states.

That puts Buffalo in the Midwest. The thing is...that's pretty much accurate culturally and economically, way more midwest than they have anything to do with NYC.

But while I've heard that observation that Buffalo is culturally midwest, I've never ever heard anyone in the area really refer to themselves or think of themselves as Midwest. I've never heard any affinity expressed with any midwest cities or states, other than Detroit vis a vis the auto industry. Nobody in Buffalo knows anything or cares anything about Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, etc.

They have more affinity for Canada I think than anything midwest.

Michigan, Ohio, PA, NY, Kentucky are not midwest. ND,SD, NE, KS, are all in. OK and IN are maybes. South Missouri (Arkansas ) is the south. NO part of Canada is in the midwest. Stupid map.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Not bad. I agree with removing all parts of KY, PA and NY. Also, move the southern border up the Miss River to St Louis, then follow I-70 into eastern KS. Then it’s perfect.

That puts Buffalo in the Midwest. The thing is...that's pretty much accurate culturally and economically, way more midwest than they have anything to do with NYC.

But while I've heard that observation that Buffalo is culturally midwest, I've never ever heard anyone in the area really refer to themselves or think of themselves as Midwest. I've never heard any affinity expressed with any midwest cities or states, other than Detroit vis a vis the auto industry. Nobody in Buffalo knows anything or cares anything about Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, etc.

They have more affinity for Canada I think than anything midwest.
It is not as crazy as people think if they are familiar with the south shore of Lake Erie Cleveland to Buffalo and the originations of the "midwest". That is why the map is "fun"

Western edge should include KS, NEB and the eastern parts of CO. East CO is far more like the midwest than the mtns (geographically and culturally). Dakotas and eastern edge of WY should be in as well.

MO is very tweener.

Hmmm, not sure I really view them as different.
Huge difference culturally between Midwest and Great Plains. In North Dakota only about the eastern 25-30 of the state is Midwest. Basically the western edge of the Red River Valley. The rest of North Dakota is the Great Plains. I don’t know where that line is as you go south.

Parts of Mn, Wi, Mi, Oh, etc are more Great Lakes than Midwest. Cleveland is fringe Great Lakes, Appalachia, Midwest. Pittsburgh is fringe Appalachia, Eastern US. Eastern CO, WY and MT are more Midwest than Rockies. Northeastern Oklahoma is fringe Midwest, South. North Central Oklahoma pretty midwestern feel to it.

What is SE MIssouri considered if not Midwest?

Is that considered the South, or is there some buffer like ‘the Ozarks’ or something?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT