ADVERTISEMENT

Do you ever have an overwhelming feeling

3boysmom

HR Legend
Dec 21, 2001
Omaha, NE
www.chooseyouradventuretravels.com
That you need to do something and it’s something out of character for you but you just can’t ignore it? It happened to me for the second time this morning.
The first time was when I was working in insurance and was in Lincoln for a conference. The company sponsoring the conference was putting us up at the Embassy Suites and we had just finished the last night of the conference. They had a non mandatory breakfast the next morning and I had planned to stay through that. But about 10pm I had an overwhelming urge to check out of the hotel and drive home. My kids were still young and I always enjoyed a quiet stay alone so it was baffling why I just wanted to get home. At 3am I got the call my dad was being taken by paramedics as he’d had a heart attack. He didn’t make it.
So fast forward to this morning. Husband and I are scheduled to go to Cancun on Friday. A week of rest and relaxation that we both really need. I wake up with this overwhelming feeling that I need to cancel this trip. I can’t explain it but I just don’t think we should go. A couple of hours later my youngest son texts me that he is really sick. Body hurts everywhere. Sore throat. Chills. He was just home last weekend. Trip is cancelled now. Hoping there isn’t something worse still waiting but prepared for him to have Covid and possibly us too. If I catch the dead you all can fight it out for my likes.

That you need to do something and it’s something out of character for you but you just can’t ignore it? It happened to me for the second time this morning.
The first time was when I was working in insurance and was in Lincoln for a conference. The company sponsoring the conference was putting us up at the Embassy Suites and we had just finished the last night of the conference. They had a non mandatory breakfast the next morning and I had planned to stay through that. But about 10pm I had an overwhelming urge to check out of the hotel and drive home. My kids were still young and I always enjoyed a quiet stay alone so it was baffling why I just wanted to get home. At 3am I got the call my dad was being taken by paramedics as he’d had a heart attack. He didn’t make it.
So fast forward to this morning. Husband and I are scheduled to go to Cancun on Friday. A week of rest and relaxation that we both really need. I wake up with this overwhelming feeling that I need to cancel this trip. I can’t explain it but I just don’t think we should go. A couple of hours later my youngest son texts me that he is really sick. Body hurts everywhere. Sore throat. Chills. He was just home last weekend. Trip is cancelled now. Hoping there isn’t something worse still waiting but prepared for him to have Covid and possibly us too. If I catch the dead you all can fight it out for my likes.

Good for you for listening to that instinct. I know the exact feeling you've described and know better than ignoring it. And I'll be super pissed if you die. you can't leave me with these fools.

Mrs. Tradition didn't want to fly after 9/11 because she thought terrorists hijacking planes would become the new normal.

I have been OKAY with that.

Reactions: TJHall1

Best of luck to your son and the rest of you. Kick some Covid ass! (if that's what is happening)

I can't say I've had that feeling myself, but I've avoided a couple unfortunate events or happenstances due to feelings of deja vu. Weirded out by any deja vu feelings, but I have them semi-frequently. Or at least used to.

Me like you. I will take your likes... Naw, I hope all is good for y’all. Best wishes and good luck?

I hope your son and family are all ok.

Pretty much everyone except me, @3boysmom and @Wendy79

200.gif

My grandma had this gift. I don't. She was extremely strong in her faith, but I don't really know of that's it or not.

Wow. That’s amazing. Good luck to you.

Quick follow-up question: so when my wife feels that I’m being an asshat, I should take this seriously?

Not related to 3BM’s type of scenario but anyway, I was 11 or 12 and we were on a family vacation heading to Yellowstone, Went through S.Dakota and then headed to Little Big Horn/Custer battlefield, Got to Broadus MT. I just had the weirdest feeling, Everything looked familiar, simply like I knew the town layout well, 1st time I had ever been there. It has stuck with me all these years.

As a kid I travelled with my family each year out west to see my grandparents who were pushing 90. They were in decent health and still lived at home. One trip we flew home and that night I started crying. My parents asked what’s wrong and I told them we will never see grandma and grandpa again. My dad said not to worry and we’ll see them next year.

My grandma passed a month later and my grandpa passed two weeks after her.

• Sad
Reactions: hawkbirch
4 friends and I (all about 17yo) were driving around the greater Omaha area trying to find a particular restaurant one friend wanted to go to. We turned and went from average ranch/split level homes to bars on the window. Spidey senses tingling.

Long story short, we saw a drive by/reverse drive by shooting right in front of the car (like the guy was standing less than 10 feet in front of the car, which was actually an old cop car).

Talking with another friend a couple years ago who is from Omaha. Told her about it. It was part of a larger turf war.

During Iowa’s Homecoming win against Purdue in 2006, I said to my friend, “Shonn Greene is going to break Tavian’s single-season rushing mark in 2 years.”

Boom. Nailed it.

4 friends and I (all about 17yo) were driving around the greater Omaha area trying to find a particular restaurant one friend wanted to go to. We turned and went from average ranch/split level homes to bars on the window. Spidey senses tingling.

Long story short, we saw a drive by/reverse drive by shooting right in front of the car (like the guy was standing less than 10 feet in front of the car, which was actually an old cop car).

Talking with another friend a couple years ago who is from Omaha. Told her about it. It was part of a larger turf war.
Many times over the years it was apparent that we were “in the right neighborhood”... or not.
This is mostly specific to work related travel.
Not throeing* off on anybody’s place of residence. Err body needs a place to stay.

I’ve had strange sensations of impending doom (like the last four years actually!) but rarely have I been able to link that feeling to a specific event. And I’m glad for that.

@3boysmom , I hope you and yours are all safe and healthy. Got news today my two year old grandson was exposed at his daycare and he’ll be quarantined for the next two weeks. It just breaks my heart and I hope he doesn’t actually have it or suffer any consequences from it if he does.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Best of luck to you 3boys. I didn't even realize we were allowed to go to Mexico yet. Are there good deals out there these days?

People should check with 3boysmom if they want to travel. I took a ton of time researching the different travel sites for the best price. She added the shuttle and still beat the internet.

Best of luck to you 3boys. I didn't even realize we were allowed to go to Mexico yet. Are there good deals out there these days?

People should check with 3boysmom if they want to travel. I took a ton of time researching the different travel sites for the best price. She added the shuttle and still beat the internet.
Yep, they are open. You can’t drive across but you can fly in. There are some really great deals right now.

Do you remember all the other times your anxiety was incorrect? Of course not

Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery

Do you remember all the other times your anxiety was incorrect? Of course not

Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery
I remember plenty of times that anxiety was incorrect. But these were different. With anxiety it’s always about something I didn’t want to do. And just not as strong. Well except the Golden Corral dinner. That was as strong but for good reason.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT