ADVERTISEMENT

Does any airline suck as much as American?

The airline would love to get you out of their hair too. They don’t make money until they fly you from point A to point B.

The contract of carriage governs the terms of your ticket and all it says is they have to get you from A to B. It does not say when they have to do it or within so many hours.

If you are concerned with absolute timeliness of travel while going 5 miles up in the sky, traveling 400-500 mph, over 500+ miles in distance, then I suggest you buy a full “Y” fare ticket which would be accepted universally by most carriers (outside of Southwest).
I can understand delays. They happen, but 48 hours seems excessive.

United is the worst. Only good thing is if you complain they will take care of you. I had a flight cancel they reimbursed me for all my expenses that night and also sent me $300 voucher.

Reactions: 3boysmom

S*** happens. Just be glad this is not 100-150 years ago and you were crossing the country on a train.

Planes have to be kept at 100% capacity or dang close to make money. That means when something goes wrong, there are not other flights available to rebook on. An airline can’t just crap out another airplane when necessary too.

48 hrs is excessive compared to the average delay but that doesn’t mean it is still possible. Just seems like a perfect storm of events.

Sorry about your luck!

I’m thinking of going to the airport and asking for an officer to accompany me to the ticket counter and asking them to place them under arrest for kidnapping. Maybe that will wake them up. There are plenty of Delta flights leaving today, but they refuse to book me on another flight.

Please do this to show everyone at the airport how dumb you are

I got stuck in Denver on a connecting back home a few years back. Blizzard like conditions. It was a Sunday, they told me the next flight I could get would be the next Friday. 5 fvcking days, lol. I rented a car and was home 12 hours later. It was delta I believe.

Yes, really. Does it compare to international first class? Of course not. But the jump from regular economy to first class is noteworthy even on an hour long flight.
I've flown first class on United. Besides the wider seat and some swill beverage, didn't seem like much. You can't tell me first class on some dog shit flight from Cedar Rapids to even Atlanta makes that much of a difference. Some yes, much no. If you have miles to upgrade or someone is paying for it, ok. Otherwise, meh.

I've flown first class on United. Besides the wider seat and some swill beverage, didn't seem like much. You can't tell me first class on some dog shit flight from Cedar Rapids to even Atlanta makes that much of a difference. Some yes, much no. If you have miles to upgrade or someone is paying for it, ok. Otherwise, meh.
Is there anything you do like?

FWIW talking long delays - I was about 5,000 ft in the air at about 8:30am EST on Sept. 11th. We did a nosedive back to the airport and then got home 1,000 miles away using Greyhound and Amtrak and bumming rides. Was about 40 hrs delayed approximately.

Delta domestically have warts...lots of them
We are platinum from just pleasure travel and I cannot tell you the last time we had a delay of more than 15 minutes. 9 times out of 10, our bags are waiting for us when we get to baggage claim. Delta has seriously been completely seamless for us.

FWIW talking long delays - I was about 5,000 ft in the air at about 8:30am EST on Sept. 11th. We did a nosedive back to the airport and then got home 1,000 miles away using Greyhound and Amtrak and bumming rides. Was about 40 hrs delayed approximately.

Did you land in Wichita?

Reactions: jasonrann
They fvcking suck. Flight last week was all screwed up and got us in 12 hours late. Now they expect me to hang around Denver and take the red eye tomorrow night with a 5 year old and an infant.
I fly American a lot and have generally been OK with them. I prefer Delta. Most of my nightmare experiences have been on United.

Reactions: GOHOX69
We are platinum from just pleasure travel and I cannot tell you the last time we had a delay of more than 15 minutes. 9 times out of 10, our bags are waiting for us when we get to baggage claim. Delta has seriously been completely seamless for us.
Obviously, you and I aren't using delta at the same time. My wife and I "joke" about adding an extra day to vacations when Delta (domestic) is involved....Internationally, atleast they (Delta) are hooked up with KLM and Air France who have been pretty reliable for us.

Same here with Delta. Platinum level and the only delays I've experienced lately have been due to snow. Had 3-4 flights in a month where this happened, which sucked. But they can't control the weather.

Flight out of Des Moines to Mesa on Allegiant original scheduled departure today at 12:10 pm delayed at 7:30 am this morning to 10:25 pm departure. Vouchers are being promised, but nothing yet.

Did you land in Wichita?

I see what you did there.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14946-1385132835-4.gif

Airlines are commodities. No difference. They buy planes...stuff you in them...give you little to no service unless you're a high-ranking rewards member...and shuttle you to and fro.

That said, I agree w/OP that American, somehow, seems to be worse than most.

You’ll need to elaborate. All airlines have similar policies and procedures. Chances are, whatever happened, every airline would have handled it the same.

You are right. Every airline has similar policies. The difference is in the execution when something goes wrong. Operations decisions. Maintenance decisions. Rebooking decisions. When to cancel flights. How many spare planes are available. And so on. American is not very good at these things.

Reactions: runkpanole
Well then you’re stuck...keep crying about it
This cracked me up. The only thing bad about flying is the other people flying that have no self control when something goes wrong. People are big babies whenever there's a problem.

Reactions: jasonrann
You are right. Every airline has similar policies. The difference is in the execution when something goes wrong. Operations decisions. Maintenance decisions. Rebooking decisions. When to cancel flights. How many spare planes are available. And so on. American is not very good at these things.
Always do a great job for us, we only fly American for the most part. Good example, flying home from Jamaica last December and there was bad weather in Charlotte so our flight canceled, rebooked us on a flight to Chicago and then a flight from Chicago to CR the next morning. When we got to Chicago I rented a car and drove the 3 hours home instead of waiting until morning. Got home 30 minutes before we originally were supposed to get there. Some times you have to figure part of it out on your own.

All airlines have issues but American and United always seem to be the worst. I very rarely have major delays with Delta.

I've had the best luck with Delta and the worst with United. American has been fine but have more cancellations due to weather in Dallas than in Atlanta which makes them slightly worse. United is the worst with cancellations in my experience but that could also be a result of the fact that flying through Chicago sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT