ADVERTISEMENT

Does Jamie Pollard have a point?

....isu is and always will be second rate to Iowa. The only real question will be can the “left over league” last or will the networks figure out that mens basketball simply isn’t worth it and they end up like the Pac-12.
Basketball most definitely will be in future news as the powerful figure a way to monetize it the way they have football. Maybe even more $$$ from basketball. March Madness has filled NCAA coffers for years. The SEC really wants to keep UNC / Duke, and maybe even add Kansas as a way to build the conference BB brand. ISU has a basketball program, but not on a national scale. The Big12 may end up like the Big East. BB schools.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Basketball most definitely will be in future news as the powerful figure a way to monetize it the way they have football. Maybe even more $$$ from basketball. March Madness has filled NCAA coffers for years. The SEC really wants to keep UNC / Duke, and maybe even add Kansas as a way to build the conference BB brand. ISU has a basketball program, but not on a national scale. The Big12 may end up like the Big East. BB schools.
Its not going to work out any better for these other schools to focus on basketball either.

We're in a little bit of a lull period before revenue sharing takes place in 2025 - and that's also a date where the Big Ten is going over $100 million in distributions and average budgets well over $200 million.

I think its likely that the Big East fails to get a decent TV contract and this settlement over player revenue sharing is very likely to cut more revenue legs out from underneath the Big 12, ACC, and Big East schools as the value of tournament units gets cut nearly in half. There is going to be extreme pressures on these donor bases if they want to compete - I'm guessing that only a few top basketball brands can withstand having to pay a coach top dollar plus having competitive NIL when an average B1G team can allocate just 10% of their budget to men's basketball and have $15-25 million to play around with and fund a program.

Indiana (or someone) can mess around with 20% and they would be funding a program past the total media distribution for an ACC team. Wild.

I think its unlikely that we'll see any caps in player compensation either - there just isn't a legal solution in the courts (courts won't be able to make a settlement apply to non-class members), or a legislative resolution (law) coming anytime soon, and I think its unlikely that players would unionize just so that NCAA schools could get antitrust protection as a legal cartel. P2 schools are going to be close enough in revenues - there will be enough parity to keep it comparable.

How will it affect Iowa?

Iowa's not a serious basketball school for men right now, so we're paying around $8 million or so to run the program, plus another $750K-$1 million in NIL. When revenue sharing is finally allowed, Iowa's not going to play around in the kiddie pool like that. They'll move around some money and make the product competitive. Just $5 million in revenue sharing would put Iowa over the top non P2 school in player compensation. I'm guessing Iowa will aim to be a top half school and fund accordingly.

In conclusion,

This is why you're seeing the reactions from Pollard, lawsuits in the ACC, and all of these fights over revenue cascading past the power 2 leagues. Most of these schools are looking at huge budget cuts, or asking for help from central campus/politicians in their state, or putting pressure on donors, to meet a looming giant gap in revenue, just as the players finally have agency to move around for the highest bidders. These are existential problems for those left behind - feeder schools will end up like the minor leagues and few will care about the results/pay $ for tickets.

PS:

This also probably represents the best case scenario for non P2 schools. If the other leagues split up, or if for some reason the NCAA can't find a way to settle the revenue sharing, or even worse - they do settle it but can't agree on a way to fund the settlement and these leagues go their separate ways on the NCAA tournament - there will be even more peril for the non P2 schools.

There is no college sports product without the #10-70 teams (+/-). The idea of a Super elite 16 or something similar won't work. It's regional rivalries, people following their alma mater or the state team that makes college athletics special and why it sells. You starve too many of the mid-level teams and you kill the product...both in football and basketball.

I disagree with part of your take. College basketball is damaging itself with one and done players and NIL. There is a reason the women outdrew the men's tournament this year........no stars, no recognizable players in the men's game. I can't see men's basketball being bigger and more profitable than it was a few years ago.

The fact remains that college basketball on the men’s side just doesn’t generate a lot of ratings. When isu played at Baylor this year you had 2 top 10 teams and the viewership was around 325,000.

MAC football games on Tuesdays do better than that.

It's not fair that the SEC and Big 10 are popular, Pollard doesn't have enough money for a wrestling facility. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Pollard and Iowa State wanting money for things that their own fan base is too cheap to support on their own.
Once again, nobody should listen to anything Pollard says

Reactions: shudaddy
The fact remains that college basketball on the men’s side just doesn’t generate a lot of ratings. When isu played at Baylor this year you had 2 top 10 teams and the viewership was around 325,000.

MAC football games on Tuesdays do better than that.
College basketball has become a snoozer for me long ago. We did tune in for many of the women's games, but not mens or even much of the tournament.

Reactions: GHawk
They better start having about 4 or 5 March Madness tournaments during the season. No way basketball makes the kind of money college football does. Wont be anywhere close.

College basketball has become a snoozer for me long ago. We did tune in for many of the women's games, but not mens or even much of the tournament.
The women’s game far outpaced the men’s side most of if not all last season.

I am surprised Looney Clown hasn’t come back to question the viewership numbers. I mean if isu basketball is so awesome why don’t people around the country actually tune in to watch it?

325,000 for a top ten matchup on a weekend? Major woof.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The women’s game far outpaced the men’s side most of if not all last season.

I am surprised Looney Clown hasn’t come back to question the viewership numbers. I mean if isu basketball is so awesome why don’t people around the country actually tune in to watch it?

325,000 for a top ten matchup on a weekend? Major woof.
Sigh. OK,, since I never said ISU basketball is "awesome" and I don't recall ever participating in a discussion about TV ratings, I remember why I had you on "ignore" and will return you to that situation. Rant away.

Sigh. OK,, since I never said ISU basketball is "awesome" and I don't recall ever participating in a discussion about TV ratings, I remember why I had you on "ignore" and will return you to that situation. Rant away.
Tv ratings only matter when a pivot table is utilized. Believe that poster only had time to do a small window that reflected well for ISU

• Haha
What in life is not all about the future? :)

Specifically, it's all about the money. I think if we can put the sniping on the shelf for a bit and think about what Pollard said -- which was what started this thread -- there are things worth talking about. How long are the BiG and the SEC powers going to go along with sharing the wealth equally? There are several teams in both leagues and -- based on what we know -- are never going to be serious contenders for league titles in some sports. How long are they going to stay? Is there any limit to the power the conferences will cede to the TV people in terms of scheduling and formatting?

I think if we have learned anything the past 20 years or so, we have learned that anybody who makes predictions and thinks they're going to be accurate is nuts.
Yeah, but what's occurring now is what I've been predicting since the late 90's in terms of realignment. What I said about schools NIL needing to be governed was true. What I said about the fix to this being able to pay directly from school funds is also turning out to be true. The reality here is that it's actually quite evident what will happen to ISU. If anyone believes Iowa is in jeopardy, at all, of being left out, isn't living in reality. Iowa isn't one of the programs he's talking about because if he is, it's just petty jealousy.

It's going to be two conferences that comprise a number of 24-32 teams each give or take. It's being arranged as a semi-pro construct like the AFC and NFC except each will be about the size of the NFL as a whole, or close to it.

It's also about eye balls as well. If one team is getting 1.6 million in viewership from their own state and can earn another .6-1.2 each game in their region, due to letting another inner-state school go, it's going to happen! All about gains here. Always was. Iowa eyeballs are elite in comparison to Oregon St., Washington St., and ISU. Hell, probably combined even at times. That's what Oregon St., Washington St., Okie St., and ISU are contending with right now along with their ilk.

In 7 years, ISU won't be able to even afford giving 20 million in pay to players each year. Can't afford coaches, facilities, nothing that can even be in the same stratosphere as us. We're part of the reason our conference is so successful, not the other way around. We're synonymous with college football. Watch any college football movie and you'll see our logo most likely. Johnny Be Good, Waterboy, The Program, etc etc. And before you intimate that I'm blinded by growing up in Iowa, I'm from, and grew up, in Texas. I've lived in Virginia, Washington, Indiana, Texas, and Iowa over the course of my life. I see Iowa fans everywhere, hell, even in Croatia, Portugal, and Italy. Yes it is like that, trust me. Never have I seen ISU though. Maybe once or twice in another state.

Anyway, meanwhile, as ISU is broke trying to compete, Iowa will be asking the regulators (a.k.a the B1G) about severe increases to pay directly from their school funds because they can't spend their money fast enough on facilities, staff, etc. etc. and it has to be used for athletics.

It's been beyond easy to see where this is all going. Amateur play is over. It has been for a long time but college conferences aren't hiding that fact anymore. ISU isn't making the cut. They were never going to. Their fanbase will be miniscule to non-existent in the next 20 years. It's a sad, unfortunate reality. Programs have died in the past and it will continue to happen.

So no, nobody cares about the Learfield Cup and no Iowa fan can relate to what Pollard is saying because we'll never be in this position. We can sympathize though, and I do. We see him for what he is, a desperate man in a desperate position. This is the difference between our two programs. Comparatively, there is no comparison between ISU and Iowa. The only people who have ever disputed that are ISU fans. We are to ISU what Ohio St. is to us. A different world altogether. Nothing has changed.

Last edited:
..... We're part of the reason our conference is so successful, not the other way around. We're synonymous with college football. Watch any college football movie and you'll see our logo most likely. Johnny Be Good, Waterboy, The Program, etc etc. And before you intimate that I'm blinded by growing up in Iowa, I'm from, and grew up, in Texas. I've lived in Virginia, Washington, Indiana, Texas, and Iowa over the course of my life. I see Iowa fans everywhere, hell, even in Croatia, Portugal, and Italy. Yes it is like that, trust me. Never have I seen ISU though. Maybe once or twice in another state...
This is a very good indicator.

I married a Minnesota girl 13 years ago. She was a big Vikings fan, not much of a college sports fan. She fell in love with the Hawks after her first trip to Kinnick, but in the years following she really started to "get it". Everywhere we'd go on vacations, visiting friends or even a business trip we saw people in Iowa gear. It became a running joke.."OK, how long til we see our first tiger Hawk?". She couldn't believe how prominent the Iowa brand was everywhere we went. I don't think we ever took a trip without seeing Iowa gear.

Reactions: AEG82
Same. I grew up in Iowa, went to IOWA, married a girl far from Iowa, and haven’t lived in the Midwest in decades. We have lived in different places and have traveled much. I travel extensively for work.

We see Hawkeye fans everywhere. I have customers and colleagues, across the country, that are IOWA alumni, former students, or Hawkeye fans. My wife also comments, and is amazed, how often we see Hawkeye fans, notably accompanied by the Tiger Hawk and/or IOWA. She quickly became a fan, but mostly because how nice, fun, and balanced most are that she has met. It contrasted deeply, with the ridiculous fans she has experienced with her school’s fan base, as well as many others.

IOWA is an excellent school with a highly visible brand and exceptional fan base. As long as we continue to be good human beings, exercise common sense, maintain humility and humor, and support the same within the institution and the brand, it will continue. If you want others to be your fan and support you, make it easier to be your fan…not harder.

On IOWA! Go Hawks!

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
There’s definitely a correlation with having your first name in your handle and retardation.

JP is a veteran and is pretty well decorated. Having a D1 job for 20+ years paying $850k per year is the top echelon of sports administration, Hans, Mikey, and Mitch.
He still whines too much for my taste.

This is a very good indicator.

I married a Minnesota girl 13 years ago. She was a big Vikings fan, not much of a college sports fan. She fell in love with the Hawks after her first trip to Kinnick, but in the years following she really started to "get it". Everywhere we'd go on vacations, visiting friends or even a business trip we saw people in Iowa gear. It became a running joke.."OK, how long til we see our first tiger Hawk?". She couldn't believe how prominent the Iowa brand was everywhere we went. I don't think we ever took a trip without seeing Iowa gear.
lol - my experience of marrying a MN girl was similar to yours. Heck, she’s “almost” a bigger Hawkeye fan than I am these days!

Reactions: BonzoFury
and there it is. When confronted with reality and data that proves Pollard is wrong, clown fan loses it and runs away to hide.

Just another day that ends in y.

Reactions: AEG82
lol - my experience of marrying a MN girl was similar to yours. Heck, she’s “almost” a bigger Hawkeye fan than I am these days!
One of the "wow" moments was when she learned who Nile Kinnick was. Initially her reaction was "just another jock being deified". Then she read the book. Now she won't go into Kinnick without touching the helmet. <insert joke here)

Last edited:
I see EA Sports has Iowa as a Tier 1 school and isu a Tier 3 school.

Must be time for clown fans to boycott EA Sports.
Lol, I saw that too.

But wait, that can't be...we're at risk of being discarded by the B1G in the near future according to Pollard.

Yes, some schools may risk being let go at some point for higher profile schools. Iowa however, isn't one of them nor will they ever be.

Reactions: HerkyFan
One of the "wow" moments was when she learned who Nile Kinnick was. Initially her reaction was "just another jock being deified". Then she read the book. Now she won't go into Kinnick without touching the helmet. <insert joke here)
Is this where someone needs to say

‘What I insert isn’t considered a joke, more of a gift’?

• Haha
Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT