ADVERTISEMENT

Does Jamie Pollard have a point?

Beginning of the end of what?
I think CFB is in trouble. It wont completely go away, but if this turns into a "Big 2" (in some form), then the national interest will wane. One of the attractions is the belief that "my school" has a chance. The 12 team playoff gives my school a chance by opening it up to every P5 school. If that gets narrowed down to only a handful of schools (dictated by ESPN) , then why would the majority of the country watch? I love CFB, but not that much. NIL + the transfer portal are part of the game now, and schools need to learn to play that game. If it becomes 2 team league for the entire country, then we are seeing the beginning of the end. Finally, I do agree with Pollard. Loyalty is gone If you think the Big Ten + SEC won't drop the lower tier schools for the sake of $$$ and TV ratings, then you are naive.

I think CFB is in trouble. It wont completely go away, but if this turns into a "Big 2" (in some form), then the national interest will wane. One of the attractions is the belief that "my school" has a chance. The 12 team playoff gives my school a chance by opening it up to every P5 school. If that gets narrowed down to only a handful of schools (dictated by ESPN) , then why would the majority of the country watch? I love CFB, but not that much. NIL + the transfer portal are part of the game now, and schools need to learn to play that game. If it becomes 2 team league for the entire country, then we are seeing the beginning of the end. Finally, I do agree with Pollard. Loyalty is gone If you think the Big Ten + SEC won't drop the lower tier schools for the sake of $$$ and TV ratings, then you are naive.
You and Pollard are both wrong. The networks and streaming companies can’t keep increasing revenue and payouts for content by constricting the number of schools that are able to provide content.

If you and Pollard really believe this then I have some prime real estate you both may be interested in in southern Florida. It is a little damp but you both will be very happy with it.

Shall I draw up the paper work?

Translation: We're better than Iowa, they're just lucky they were in the B1G.

What's going to happen? No more conferences? A super conference of the top 16 teams? If so, who's in it? Outside of Bama, Georgia, tOSU, teams bounce up and down in the standings quite a bit. Does every school negotiate a separate TV deal? That would be a cluster of epic proportions and nearly impossible to execute. Uneven revenue distribution within conferences (see the old big12)?

You have to have teams to play against and consistent viewership and conferences supply just that. I could see shaving off the lower end (Northwestern is a good example and that's kind of what just happened to Washington State and Oregon State) but some sort of competitive groups need to exist.

Thinking locally, if Iowa wouldn't make the cut on a shift like this... the whole thing gets blown up. Iowa is the perfect example of a second tier program that is big and successful enough to sustain itself and be competitive. Programs like Wisconsin, South Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Okie State, Arkansas and Iowa...wouldn't just go away.
Remember when Jamie said Iowa State was the bear.

Maybe he should shut down the whole Cy Town thing.
The purpose of Cy Town is to use lease income to pay for maintenance and renovations of CY Stephens Auditorium and Hilton.
The athletic department and the ISU research park agreed to take this on. The Iowa State Center ( Hilton, Jack Trice and CY Stephens) were built by a group independent of the university, but that was many years ago.
25 million is being spent on Cy Town site development,(utilities, sewer, and the resurfacing the paved lots between Hilton and Jack Trice.) Paving needed to be done regardless of Cy Town or not.
They have hired a developer who will find tenants and build it. They should wrap up site work in August and possibly break ground soon after.
Jamie is good with numbers so I would not bet against him having success in this venture.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeyHawk
Based on what? TV ratings are very high and will only get higher for the SEC and Big 10. The national interest will not wane, it is only going to increase.
Just a whining post from a fan of a school that is not in the SEC or Big 10. Do you think anybody cares whether Iowa State is playing high level football going forward? Do Iowa State fans care about the MAC, Mountain West, AAC? They get less money than the Big 12. What about the loyalty when the Big 12 took Cincy and Houston?

Why does Iowa State deserve a "chance"? Why does Iowa deserve a "chance"? what does that even mean?

Of course there will be more changes coming. The schools in the SEC and Big 10 need to be doing their best to be competitive.

Then again, it is pretty dumb for Texas and Oklahoma to go to the SEC. TV networks probably hate the fact that Texas will be playing Georgia, Texas A&M, and Florida instead of Iowa State, Texas Tech and Baylor.

Maybe Iowa State fans should give more money to their Athletic Programs, then Pollard wouldn't be blaming the SEC and Big 10 for not getting a Wrestling facility that is not needed anyway. What a bunch of babies

The purpose of Cy Town is to use lease income to pay for maintenance and renovations of CY Stephens Auditorium and Hilton.
The athletic department and the ISU research park agreed to take this on. The Iowa State Center ( Hilton, Jack Trice and CY Stephens) were built by a group independent of the university, but that was many years ago.
25 million is being spent on Cy Town site development,(utilities, sewer, and the resurfacing the paved lots between Hilton and Jack Trice.) Paving needed to be done regardless of Cy Town or not.
They have hired a developer who will find tenants and build it. They should wrap up site work in August and possibly break ground soon after.
Jamie is good with numbers so I would not bet against him having success in this venture.
Are they planning the high end condo / shops thing urban areas are doing?

I am a sports basher, but do love the campus there and the academics.

Based on what? TV ratings are very high and will only get higher for the SEC and Big 10. The national interest will not wane, it is only going to increase.
Just a whining post from a fan of a school that is not in the SEC or Big 10. Do you think anybody cares whether Iowa State is playing high level football going forward? Do Iowa State fans care about the MAC, Mountain West, AAC? They get less money than the Big 12. What about the loyalty when the Big 12 took Cincy and Houston?

Why does Iowa State deserve a "chance"? Why does Iowa deserve a "chance"? what does that even mean?

Of course there will be more changes coming. The schools in the SEC and Big 10 need to be doing their best to be competitive.

Then again, it is pretty dumb for Texas and Oklahoma to go to the SEC. TV networks probably hate the fact that Texas will be playing Georgia, Texas A&M, and Florida instead of Iowa State, Texas Tech and Baylor.

Maybe Iowa State fans should give more money to their Athletic Programs, then Pollard wouldn't be blaming the SEC and Big 10 for not getting a Wrestling facility that is not needed anyway. What a bunch of babies
I really think the Big Ten and SEC should have a weekly set of matchups between the two conferences, with each team eventually playing a team from the other conference sometime during the season. Like a conference challenge deal during the season. It'd just suck up a lot of money and attention during season.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Pretty sure the schools are not the ones making these decisions. Media money is the driving force and if getting rid of Mississippi State or Northwestern makes financial sense, it will happen.

If Pollard is willing to say this publicly it’s a good bet these are actual discussions taking place.
In the B1G ... media money drives athletic decisions (with great frequency). However, the B1G is A LOT more than just an athletic conference. It's an academic consortium. It provides stipulations regarding all sorts of different forms of resource sharing.

I have no idea about how things could work out in the SEC. However, in the B1G, they wouldn't get rid of a program like Northwestern because of failures made by their athletic departments.

Lastly, to complement jonesy's point ... the big TV dollars are driven by match-ups that feature the following:
  • games of significance (usually played between the "heavyweights" and/or "blue-blood" teams)
  • games featuring great play
  • games featuring heated rivalries (games that at least are of regional significance)
Games typically are perceived as carrying greater significance if the teams playing have great records. Thus, if some teams are winning THAT much ... then usually you're going to be have a bunch of programs that are losing too.

Also, ideally, there is pretty good parity ... that way most games can pose some intrigue. That's also why the B1G has always been pretty good about how it distributes revenue dollars. It allows all the programs a good opportunity to acquire enough funding to put out a good product.

If Pollard is so good with numbers and the god clown fans think he is why isn’t the wrestling facility moving forward?

• Haha
Reactions: BumHumpingHawkeye
Uncertainty due to revenue sharing settlement and College football in general.
Yep. ISU will never have disposable athletic money again. I'm not wanting this change but it's going to be awfully hard to compete at 20-30 million per year (for the next 7 years, after that it'll likely be less but irrelevant in the grand scheme even if it does slightly increase, which it won't) as opposed to future projections the likes of what the B1G is going to be getting. By 2027, each team in the B1G will be getting 3x what ISU gets total in a year. And that's just revenue from TV and conference affiliation. Essentially, it'll be 40 million (ISU) vs. 160-200 million (Iowa) per year. College football will certainly be different for sure. When schools are allowed to use NIL funds for recruits, which they will on the future, is when you'll see the true difference. Good luck keeping any good coaches in small markets because they'll be making millions less each year with a budget that small.

Northwestern makes more money than Alabama does currently. That's hilarious to me.

Reactions: shudaddy
Uncertainty due to revenue sharing settlement and College football in general.
Clearly isu has financial uncertainty being the little brother they are. If Pollard was as awesome as clown fans think he is that wouldn’t be the case. Reality really hasn’t changed. Pollard trouts out his bs and clown fans eat it up and ask for more.

Still wonder why isu is laughed at and not taken seriously?

Nebraska has some current volleyball player in “hot water” due to some DUI’s along with various shop lifting charges. So, she may be cut from the team? Obviously, not enough to sink their v-ball program, but enough to put a black eye on their team. 😜
I have trouble keeping up with all the scandals in Lincoln.

If this player is any good, administration will find a way to keep her around.
It is a volleyball school after all.

• Haha
Reactions: BumHumpingHawkeye

A chance means winning the Big 12 title, and getting into the CFP.

Yep. ISU will never have disposable athletic money again. I'm not wanting this change but it's going to be awfully hard to compete at 20-30 million per year (for the next 7 years, after that it'll likely be less but irrelevant in the grand scheme even if it does slightly increase, which it won't) as opposed to future projections the likes of what the B1G is going to be getting. By 2027, each team in the B1G will be getting 3x what ISU gets total in a year. And that's just revenue from TV and conference affiliation. Essentially, it'll be 40 million (ISU) vs. 160-200 million (Iowa) per year. College football will certainly be different for sure. When schools are allowed to use NIL funds for recruits, which they will on the future, is when you'll see the true difference. Good luck keeping any good coaches in small markets because they'll be making millions less each year with a budget that small.

Northwestern makes more money than Alabama does currently. That's hilarious to me.
That is why I was saying, if it goes to a power 2, then technically ISU should get paid to play Iowa, just like any other non conference game. Otherwise teams from the power 2 should schedule a non paying non con home and away with a team from the other power 2.

No one has ever wanted to watch the g league or xfl but that is what they are forcing upon us. Take existing fan bases and make that the g league. This will end up in less scholarships and less sports because a few college athletes complained about having to pay for their food.
Spare me the "they're taken advantage of" talk. No kid at chik fil a is getting the shaft because the brand is doing well.
No kid at chick fil a is making 6 figures a year either.

100% agree with Bulldogs1974, and NIL is another reason CFB is in trouble The idea of some "walking around money" for these athletes turned into some guy I've never heard of getting $2 million to play basketball at Washington. The programs with the deepest pockets will get the best players. What used to be cheating is now legal. An earlier post suggested I stop whining and contribute to NIL. #1, this isnt whining, it is frustration. Whining would be "this isnt fair". Mine is simply, "this sucks, but oh well". #2, I refuse to contribute to NIL. Our trips to Ames for football + basketball games are not cheap. If I win the lottery tomorrow, talk to me about what I contribute. It probably wouldn't be to NIL though, more likely to academics.

Reactions: cyclone plastic
100% agree with Bulldogs1974, and NIL is another reason CFB is in trouble The idea of some "walking around money" for these athletes turned into some guy I've never heard of getting $2 million to play basketball at Washington. The programs with the deepest pockets will get the best players. What used to be cheating is now legal. An earlier post suggested I stop whining and contribute to NIL. #1, this isnt whining, it is frustration. Whining would be "this isnt fair". Mine is simply, "this sucks, but oh well". #2, I refuse to contribute to NIL. Our trips to Ames for football + basketball games are not cheap. If I win the lottery tomorrow, talk to me about what I contribute. It probably wouldn't be to NIL though, more likely to academics.
It was going on big time in the past. Just see Johnny Manziels admission about what went on at Texas A&M with the money being laundered through his Grandpa.

What Pollard said doesn't apply to Iowa, at least I don't think. To be true, these 2 things have to happen....and they won't.

1. Big 10 conference kicks out schools (have they ever done that?)
2. Big 10 collapses and falls apart.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Bob Bowlsby was asleep at the wheel too long for the Big 12.
It would have been really interesting if BB had started talking to Pac-12 schools when aTm & MO left, or certainly after the TX/OK announcements, instead of just trying to get the best of the G-5 teams. The college football landscape would look a heck of a lot different now if BB had talked UCLA/USC/OR/WA into joining the Big 12 back in '21. But, hey, they got TCU and UCF! LOL

It would have been really interesting if BB had started talking to Pac-12 schools when aTm & MO left, or certainly after the TX/OK announcements, instead of just trying to get the best of the G-5 teams. The college football landscape would look a heck of a lot different now if BB had talked UCLA/USC/OR/WA into joining the Big 12 back in '21. But, hey, they got TCU and UCF! LOL
The same TCU that went to the CFP championship game, no less...

I don't choose to get into the pissing match, but I would make two points:

1. Pollard has been a terrific AD at Iowa State. Has made mistakes, some of them big, and said things he probably shouldn't have said. But despite all the chaos and financial problems of the past few years, ISU athletics are overall in the best shape I can remember, and I go back a lot of years. Cyclones are 17th in the current Learfield standings, which is amazing when you consider the budget issues.

2. Read his entire statement before making judgments. I don't agree with everything he's saying, but it's worth considering.

I don't choose to get into the pissing match, but I would make two points:

1. Pollard has been a terrific AD at Iowa State. Has made mistakes, some of them big, and said things he probably shouldn't have said. But despite all the chaos and financial problems of the past few years, ISU athletics are overall in the best shape I can remember, and I go back a lot of years. Cyclones are 17th in the current Learfield standings, which is amazing when you consider the budget issues.

2. Read his entire statement before making judgments. I don't agree with everything he's saying, but it's worth considering.

I also think Pollard has been a net positive for ISU, no doubt about it. I thought his statements were interesting which is why I honestly asked if he had a point.

No because the Presidents still run things. Research dollars (10 billion) top sports dollars (845 million) any day.

"Big Ten Academic Alliance universities engage in $10 billion in funded research each year. Leaders from our member universities are exploring ways to promote greater strategic engagement across the spectrum of the research enterprise to leverage and build upon the significant resources and research facilities"

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: thunderstruck1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT