ADVERTISEMENT

Dog Owners - Medication

IowaPackFan

HB Heisman
Dec 30, 2006
Do you give your dog Heartgard (or equivalent) every month?
Do you give your dog flea and tick every month?

I generally keep up with flea and tick during and in and around summer, but not in winter.

I used to keep up with Heartgard, but honestly have not given it to him in over a year. My dog is mostly indoors and when outside it’s for walks or we are with him.

Reactions: goldmom
No on heartguard
Yes on Nexgard chews (flea/tick) outside of winter

Do you give your dog Heartgard (or equivalent) every month?
Do you give your dog flea and tick every month?

I generally keep up with flea and tick during and in and around summer, but not in winter.

I used to keep up with Heartgard, but honestly have not given it to him in over a year. My dog is mostly indoors and when outside it’s for walks or we are with him.
No on Heartgard, he gets flea and tick as often as the box directions say between march and november.

We do the chewable Interceptor Plus monthly for heartworm and Nexgard flea and tick from around March until the first hard freeze. We have two dogs and it is crazy expensive. We have talked about stopping at least the heartworm as we have friends whose dogs always live to 15-16 and our two previous dogs lived to 11 and 12 and we always have small rescue dogs. We had a vet tell us once that rabies should not be an every two year thing, they need the shot early on and then one or maybe two more in their life. However we have to get ours groomed and occasionally board them, so the we do the every two years rabies as well.

We do Sentenal pill monthly for heartworm/flea eggs and k9 advantix during flea and tick season. Topical stuff is gross but they like to climb up in bed so need the peace of mind.

Kinda depends what environment you're letting them out in and what they come in contact with

We do both but only from May to October (approximately).

Both for our two dogs. They occasionally do a group dog daycare thing so that’s the primary reason.

Proheart for heartworm. Once a year shot when they're adults. Bravecto every three months for fleas and ticks. They're working on a semi-annual or annual injectable for that, too.

I think it's about $600/year for both??

Last edited:
HeartGuard is ivermectin.

Learned from a vet-tech that you can get a bottle of the sheep-drench ivermectin for like $25, and it takes about 0.2 to 0.5cc worth of drops on their food for the same dose (need to adjust dose per dog weight). One bottle is enough for dozens of dogs for a year.

I probably could have dispensed out that ivermectin for $50 or $100 a dose or more during Covid, now that I think about it. 🙄

HeartGuard is ivermectin.

Learned from a vet-tech that you can get a bottle of the sheep-drench ivermectin for like $25, and it takes about 0.2 to 0.5cc worth of drops on their food for the same dose (need to adjust dose per dog weight). One bottle is enough for dozens of dogs for a year.

I probably could have dispensed out that ivermectin for $50 or $100 a dose or more during Covid, now that I think about it. 🙄
I’ve been putting 1cc of the sheep ivermectin in my oatmeal on the first day of each month for two years now and it’s been life changing. My doctor advised against it but he’s become something of a “vaxxer nut” of late. So far I’ve not had so much as a cold, no reoccurrence of pin worms, and I’ve got more hair than I used to.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT