ADVERTISEMENT

DOJ charges 4 current, former police officers in connection with raid that killed Breonna Taylor

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that the Department of Justice has filed charges against four former and current Louisville police officers in connection with the death of Breonna Taylor. The charges include civil rights offenses, unlawful conspiracies, unconstitutional use of force and obstruction offenses.

The Justice Department has had a pattern or practice investigation ongoing into the Louisville Police Department since April 2021.

The federal charges allege that police officers falsified the affidavit used to obtain the search warrant of Taylor's home and that this act violated federal civil rights laws, resulting in her death. Former Louisville detective Kelly Goodlett and officer Joshua Jaynes have been charged with conspiracy for allegedly falsifying the affidavit for a search warrant, according to the justice department.

Charges have also been filed against Brett Hankison a former Louisville Metro Police officer who was involved in the death of Breonna Taylor. Hankison has been charged in a two-count indictment for deprivation of rights under color of law, both of which are civil rights offenses.

"We share, but we cannot fully imagine, the grief felt by Breanna Taylor's loved ones and all of those affected by the events of March 13, 2020. Breonna Taylor should be alive today," Garland said during a press conference.

Good to see bad police officers held accountable. Now get rid of qualified immunity and change the system to that similar to medical professionals. One where officers can personally be held liable, need to buy their own insurance and can lose their qualifications to serve for bad behavior; all this managed by a state entity so that police aren't investigating their own wrongdoings.

Good to see bad police officers held accountable. Now get rid of qualified immunity and change the system to that similar to medical professionals. One where officers can personally be held liable, need to buy their own insurance and can lose their qualifications to serve for bad behavior; all this managed by a state entity so that police aren't investigating their own wrongdoings.
Same with prosecutors who manipulate evidence to enhance their political aspirations.

Why don't you get your ass out of bed everyday and deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis and see how you fare? Good luck at the Academy.

This will no doubt help police agencies across America with their struggles in finding police recruits.

What a sweet deal.

Nobody tells you to go make all the burgers when you criticize fast food.
I don't criticize fast food. I thank people for getting off their ass and having a job and doing the best they can so I can get a convenient meal if I need one.

Unlike most of you "perfect" Liberal Idiots, I don't view others as my servants.

Why don't you get your ass out of bed everyday and deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis and see how you fare? Good luck at the Academy.

No problem. Can't be that hard to not violate peoples rights and lie on paperwork, right?

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
Let's operate under your premise for a bit. How is your proposal going to attract new people into that profession?

Pay them more. Seems to me the best way to get quality employees and keep them is to pay them more. Pay shit wages and you end up with shit employees.

Let's pay them like they are professionals and expect professional behavior.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I may actually pay close attention to this story, especially the discovery portion and what comes out.

Reactions: ICHerky
You know that will never happen. That is part of the reason ACAB.

It blows my mind, we live in a society where a video game gets released and is constantly updated with new balances to game play and patches to fix bugs.

But the system which “protects and serves” our society is broken. We have poured money into the police in the past to try and fix it and it didn’t work.

The police system in America needs a complete reboot. There is no reason we can’t make that happen if we wanted to.

Example number 4 million as to why this country is so lucky that a flake like Garland got voted down from having a lifetime appointment anywhere.

Police have been neutered by pussies on the left, and our society suffers every day for it.

Example number 4 million as to why this country is so lucky that a flake like Garland got voted down from having a lifetime appointment anywhere.

Police have been neutered by pussies on the left, and our society suffers every day for it.
Move to russia then. I'm sure they like their burgers flipped.

Reactions: Pinehawk

GTTK.gif

Pay them more. Seems to me the best way to get quality employees and keep them is to pay them more. Pay shit wages and you end up with shit employees.

Psychological screening needs to change. There are too many Barneys and not enough Andy's.

Where's the money going to come from?

Everybody says "PAY MORE" about everything.

So, who's paying more? You willing to do that?

It’s not a compensation issue.

Well, maybe it is, just not financial compensation.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Let's operate under your premise for a bit. How is your proposal going to attract new people into that profession?
Why worry about recruiting new officers before all the lousy cops are purged?

Get rid of the trash before you have current bad cops corrupting the new hires.

Part of the problem for prosecutors is trying to put criminals in jail when "evidence" is illegaly obtained.

The Louisville cops we're discussing lied to a judge to get a warrant.

SPECIFIC examples please of how the left has passed legislation or otherwise weakened police?

The right just passed laws in Arizona about filming the police that is vague and basically makes it a crime.

It's funny how the right wants Hillary investigated and put in jail. They want Hunter Biden locked up. It seems they want accountability for bad behavior so why would the party of Law and Order not support holding bad officers accountable?

Last edited:
SPECIFIC examples please of how the left has passed legislation or otherwise weakened police?

The right just passed laws in Arizona about filming the police that is vague and basically makes it a crime.

It's funny how the right wants Hillary investigated and put in jail. They want Hunter Biden locked up. It seems they want accountability for bad behavior so why would the party of Law and Order not support holding bad officers accountable?

Conservatives/Republicans want bad actors held accountable.

It's just your propensity to take a statistical rarity and make it sound like it's a major police problem that many take issue with.

Millions of police interactions with the public every year and the vast majority go fine.

The DoJ is overreaching. A lot of those charges will result in acquittal or will be dropped. Then the riots will start all over again.

Conservatives/Republicans want bad actors held accountable.

It's just your propensity to take a statistical rarity and make it sound like it's a major police problem that many take issue with.

Millions of police interactions with the public every year and the vast majority go fine.

What we see and hear is abuse by law enforcement and a few bad cops, which is a huge injustice to the good ones. It is the bad ones that put the good ones in danger.

Is it the fact police are allowed "police" themselves. They aren't held to the same standards ordinary citizens are when it comes to breaking the law. That is the problem, the whole system is the problem, and it needs reviewed and updated to make officers more liable for their conduct and not allow them to hide under the protection of qualified immunity and having tax payers pay the lawsuits they cause.

I agree 100% that there are far more positive police interactions each year. Statistically there is no doubt the positive encounters outweigh the bad. However, the reputation of law enforcement as tarnished due to a few bad cops. In this case, perception is reality.

What we see and hear is abuse by law enforcement and a few bad cops, which is a huge injustice to the good ones. It is the bad ones that put the good ones in danger.

Is it the fact police are allowed "police" themselves. They aren't held to the same standards ordinary citizens are when it comes to breaking the law. That is the problem, the whole system is the problem, and it needs reviewed and updated to make officers more liable for their conduct and not allow them to hide under the protection of qualified immunity and having tax payers pay the lawsuits they cause.

I agree 100% that there are far more positive police interactions each year. Statistically there is no doubt the positive encounters outweigh the bad. However, the reputation of law enforcement as tarnished due to a few bad cops. In this case, perception is reality.

You come off as a propagandist that's driving a narrative not based in fact.

Perception is not always reality. Good faith people understand that.

You reallly need to educate yourself on qualified immunity. It doesn't provide provide protection for bad faith actors.

You come off as a propagandist that's driving a narrative not based in fact.

Perception is not always reality. Good faith people understand that.

You reallly need to educate yourself on qualified immunity. It doesn't provide provide protection for bad faith actors.

I am for police not being above the law, being held accountable for misconduct and not being allowed to police themselves. If those believes make me a propagandist, then I am guilty.

It's funny how you say that perception is not always reality, then in the next sentence you state "Good faith people understand that"? It seems like you're saying people with "good faith" believe it works and it is a "good" system. How is that different from "bad faith"? Didn't you just prove my point that perception is reality?

As for qualified immunity, I understand it. But its a shield bad actors can use to escape consequences for misconduct because waiving it is a high bar to meet in court. Take that away and maybe the idea of being held liable will keep some of these officers in line.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT