ADVERTISEMENT

Dolph and Eddie

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
The misses and I left early Saturday because we drove part of the way back to Ohio and didn't want an hour delay getting out of our parking lot, like the week before.

Listened on the radio and I must say, Dolph was hard to listen to. Edie is a step slower also. The time is getting nearer for new broadcasters in the press box. Not sure about who should call the play-by-play but I think Matt Vandenberg (sp?) would be a very good color commentator. Watching the new podcast he and his wife do, man he has an extremely good football mind and explains things clearly. For that matter, he woukd be a very good WR coach. I know he is an asst. at Solon.

FWIW, I date back to the Bob Brooks - Jim Zabel days so I'm not against Dolph's age. He just wasn't good. One other thing, who cares who is listening from their combine in a bean field or on a cruise in the Pacific?

we've always laughed even 20 years ago how difficult it was to follow games with Dolph on the radio, but last Saturday was something else. He was even getting the score wrong.

The misses and I left early Saturday because we drove part of the way back to Ohio and didn't want an hour delay getting out of our parking lot, like the week before.

Listened on the radio and I must say, Dolph was hard to listen to. Edie is a step slower also. The time is getting nearer for new broadcasters in the press box. Not sure about who should call the play-by-play but I think Matt Vandenberg (sp?) would be a very good color commentator. Watching the new podcast he and his wife do, man he has an extremely good football mind and explains things clearly. For that matter, he woukd be a very good WR coach. I know he is an asst. at Solon.

FWIW, I date back to the Bob Brooks - Jim Zabel days so I'm not against Dolph's age. He just wasn't good. One other thing, who cares who is listening from their combine in a bean field or on a cruise in the Pacific?
I do care.

He does pretty well for being wasted most of the time. And Eddie seems to be pumping the weed pretty hard lately so he's probably been taking advantage of the promotional considerations. Just gotta temper your expectations of that crew a little bit.

I listened in the car for a bit last year, as I was driving home from something. A day or two later, I watched what I had listened to on the radio.

Not one thing I heard from Dolph was anywhere near reality. It was effing hilarious.

I'll be honest, I'll be sad when the day comes for Dolph and Eddie to hang it up. Agree, they are bad by every objective observation. But subjectively, there is something cathartic, predictable, familiar, etc with turning on the radio and listening to their voices while working in the yard, driving, whatever

I do like and still listen to them while watching the game. I try to get their radio streaming call 1 or 2 seconds ahead of the action. Gary has really lost any semblance of being accurate and good. But I can also see what is really happening.

When Cade got hurt 2 weeks ago Gary was saying long after they showed replays that 2 MSU players jumped on Cade causing the injury. It was so visibly wrong and they should be able to see the replays.

If Gary would just wait a bit after each play to get the correct down and distance it would really help rather than him always correcting himself and then questioning the spot a lot.

Reactions: Bruceman44
Most game announcers have spotters who identify players for them. Don’t these guys have spotters?

Maybe the combine, tractor mentions etc are 'requested' by the station or sponsors. Always remember when there was mention of a nun who was big fan of the basketball games. Might have been been Zabel on that one or even Tait C.

Maybe the combine, tractor mentions etc are 'requested' by the station or sponsors. Always remember when there was mention of a nun who was big fan of the basketball games. Might have been been Zabel on that one or even Tait C.
You could be right but towards the end of the game, he was still recognizing listeners while the game was going on. Like I said, It has been a long time since I listened to them. Was bummed Cirrus did not have Peacock on. The post game was difficult to make out, mid-way through Illinois.

Iowa football loves to keep the old out of date folks on board as long as they can no matter how bad it gets.
They don’t want to hurt any feelings or fire anyone. Plus as some on here like to say to make themselves feel better “it could be worse”

Never usually have any reason to listen to them as normally at the home games and watch tv for away games that we don't go to. Sometimes catch after game if get back to vehicle soon enough.

Don’t these guys get annual performance reviews like most employees? It would take a day and a half to list all the missed calls by Dolphin…. BB broadcast is especially horrendous. Just give Ed a breathalyzer. It’s ridiculous.

I unironically love listening to both of them. Dolph's voice is iconic and synonymous with Hawkeyes athletics for me. I mute the TV and listen to them instead.

But I'll admit, last week I got pretty heated when I was just listening to the radio. Dolph exclaimed there was a fumble and then said "oh uhhhh, I guess not".

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Gary is on the same State of Iowa employment plan as KF and Chuck Grassley.
I listened to Chuck recently at a Senate hearing. The bulb still burns pretty bright for his age. I think, much like Kirk, they continue to do significant good for the state. You are always ripping on Kirk, what have you done positive lately? I know you know how to bitch and whine!

I'll be honest, I'll be sad when the day comes for Dolph and Eddie to hang it up. Agree, they are bad by every objective observation. But subjectively, there is something cathartic, predictable, familiar, etc with turning on the radio and listening to their voices while working in the yard, driving, whatever
I have similar thoughts although I think some of the same cathartic, reliving my youth feelings could maintained if the University and Learfield do a good job in replacing Dolph. God forbid they hire one of the perpetual yellers that seem to be predominant in the South and elsewhere. Eddie still provides some real insight--just not as much as he did in years past.

Laugh Laughing GIF

Live look at Dolph and Eddie calling the game,

Eddie has “old man voice”. Like a strangled cat. If you live long enough we all get to that point but when that time comes, doing live radio for big time college football shouldn’t be happening.

I don’t need a perfect vision of the game painted in my mind. Down, Distance, and what just happened is fine. Just sound good doing it.

Reactions: Bruceman44
I can assure you loser, that my wife would never look in your direction. As a matter of fact, she would be repulsed by your vulgar, boarish behavior.

Crawl back in your hole, loser.
It's boorish, not boarish. Unless you actually meant "like a boar" or "swinish", then I stand corrected.

Reactions: littlez
Dolph has been bad for years. Basketball has been beyond listenable for play by play. Might as well not even waste your time and just keep updating the box score if you can’t watch it.

I like Dolph, but the play by play has passed him by years ago. I wouldn’t mind seeing him doing the coach’s show or scripted things, but even the post game is hard to listen to.

Dolph “Says here that Iowa had 64 sacks”.

Eddie groans

Dolph “That can’t be right. Ahhh 64 rushing yards. Evans and Lee had a good game, but not that good (Dolph chuckles). 64 rush yards for a very solid day from the backfield.”

Eddie agrees.

Cathartic is correct...in the medical sense of the word.

I actually love listening to them call Iowa games. I only listen if I can't watch and if I'm not working, so it's not very often. But I have a lot of fond memories of listening to Iowa games on the radio. There's just something magical about listening to an Iowa game on the radio.

Dolph has been bad for years. Basketball has been beyond listenable for play by play. Might as well not even waste your time and just keep updating the box score if you can’t watch it.

I like Dolph, but the play by play has passed him by years ago. I wouldn’t mind seeing him doing the coach’s show or scripted things, but even the post game is hard to listen to.

Dolph “Says here that Iowa had 64 sacks”.

Eddie groans

Dolph “That can’t be right. Ahhh 64 rushing yards. Evans and Lee had a good game, but not that good (Dolph chuckles). 64 rush yards for a very solid day from the backfield.”

Eddie agrees.
Just have a couple student communication majors take over. Immediate upgrade. Basketball PBP is a complete joke.

Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT