ADVERTISEMENT

Dolph and Eddie

Just have a couple student communication majors take over. Immediate upgrade. Basketball PBP is a complete joke.

They’ve had people stand in for them, I’m thinking Rob Brooks is one and does a good job. I love Bobby Hansen and could listen to him any day of the week about basketball.

Cool Dolph story. I went up to the Minnesota basketball game last winter and after Iowa won, The Barn cleared out pretty quickly. I walked around the arena a bit with the kids showing them the upper deck. Broadcasters sit in the upper deck corner there and Dolph and Brooks (I believe) were doing the post game. Assuming Bobby wasn’t there or in the locker room for the Fran post game. Dolph sees me taking a picture from about 50 feet away. Gives me a wave and motions me over. I assumed he was on the air so I didn’t want to get close. Dolph asked me my name and where I was from. Then told me I came a long way to get there (5 hours ish). Dolph said he’d give me a shout out on the air lol. Dolph seems like a great man and true Hawkeye fan which you can hear in voice when he calls the game.

Side note for anyone wanting to go to the Minn / Iowa ball game. Williams Arena is pretty fan friendly. Things you get to see at an older arena that has since past with newer arenas. The players will come out to the concourse after the game and meet with family. Got to see both Murray brothers, Rebraca, Sandfort, and a few others. The team bus pulls up the arena on the SW side and you can watch the players, coaches, and even a few parents walk in. Pretty good time there.

Let's see if Beth is up to pulling the plug on them. If she does, I'm ready to see her AD for life.

I'll be honest, I'll be sad when the day comes for Dolph and Eddie to hang it up. Agree, they are bad by every objective observation. But subjectively, there is something cathartic, predictable, familiar, etc with turning on the radio and listening to their voices while working in the yard, driving, whatever
RIGHT!!!!

Besides, who else could do better announcing the crap we put out there disguised as Offense?

Don’t these guys get annual performance reviews like most employees? It would take a day and a half to list all the missed calls by Dolphin…. BB broadcast is especially horrendous. Just give Ed a breathalyzer. It’s ridiculous.
Eddie is cool!

I listened to Chuck recently at a Senate hearing. The bulb still burns pretty bright for his age. I think, much like Kirk, they continue to do significant good for the state. You are always ripping on Kirk, what have you done positive lately? I know you know how to bitch and whine!
Don't get us Leftists started on ol' Chuck.

Reactions: littlez
I can assure you loser, that my wife would never look in your direction. As a matter of fact, she would be repulsed by your vulgar, boarish behavior.

Crawl back in your hole, loser.
Not my fight, but the word is "boorish".

I've always been a Dolph and Eddie supporter, but I do have to say that when I listened to the last game, Dolph spent 70% of his time talking about various fans from various cities in Iowa and I really thought he was recruiting folks to come to his popular bar in Dubuque. Stick to the game and pay attention, Dolph! And Eddie is starting to mumble.

The misses and I left early Saturday because we drove part of the way back to Ohio and didn't want an hour delay getting out of our parking lot, like the week before.

Listened on the radio and I must say, Dolph was hard to listen to. Edie is a step slower also. The time is getting nearer for new broadcasters in the press box. Not sure about who should call the play-by-play but I think Matt Vandenberg (sp?) would be a very good color commentator. Watching the new podcast he and his wife do, man he has an extremely good football mind and explains things clearly. For that matter, he woukd be a very good WR coach. I know he is an asst. at Solon.

FWIW, I date back to the Bob Brooks - Jim Zabel days so I'm not against Dolph's age. He just wasn't good. One other thing, who cares who is listening from their combine in a bean field or on a cruise in the Pacific?
You all are missing the main point, HE DROVE FROM OHIO TO WATCH THIS OFFENSE! You are a way better fan than I am!

Just have a couple student communication majors take over. Immediate upgrade. Basketball PBP is a complete joke.

I used to think that but watch the student broadcasts on BTN. It's not good.

I love Dolph. He is a great guy that I met a long time ago. Seems genuine and legit when talking to Hawk fans. He has an iconic voice that is great to hear...

But it is beyond time. He is so bad on this stuff. I never have to listen to games for football but I did the last two weeks and was lost. Basketball, as others have eluded to, is way way way worse. You miss scores, fouls, turnovers, you name it.

Eddie sounds really out of it. Bobby is fantastic.

Reactions: iahawks10
Anybody know if who still replays the games at like 11pm on Saturday nights. I used to love falling asleep listening to the replays. With streaming though I don’t even own a tune in radio

Most game announcers have spotters who identify players for them. Don’t these guys have spotters?
listened to dolph while watching the game on tv, hadnt done this for quite some time, and couldnt believe how many times he got the player wrong. if he corrected himself, it usually took quite some time. does he have a spotter? anyone sitting in front could have been his spotter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT