ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t be surprised if Ill State is a low scoring game

HawkNorth

HB All-State
Nov 24, 2003
There is a lot of optimism with Tim Lester taking over the offense. He has a track record of turning offenses around. Iowa is a 22.5-point favorite over Illinois State but there are a few reasons why it could easily be a low scoring game. One, the Hawkeyes have had to learn an all new offense in a short amount of time. Lester acknowledges that the scheme can be complicated to learn completely and he emphasized that he would be implementing his system in chunks, concentrating on perfecting a little at a time. Second, Ferentz’s MO has always been to get a lead and then run the clock. That means hanging on to the ball and executing time consuming drives by running the ball. That means less opportunities to score. Third, we have the Clowns next week and if the Hawks get a two-plus touchdown lead, they will play it close to the vest. I am thinking, in light of these reasons, that a realistic score might be in the neighborhood of 24-6. Let’s get this win in the books and get ready to stomp the Clowns!

And... we won't be showing a lot if we don't have to.
Honestly, if we throw quick screens to WRs and a few balls to the RBs in the flat it will be a step up.
I think the idea of holding things back as some sort of element of surprise is way overstated. Better to execute and have some success. Make them scout everything.

Last edited:
I think the idea of holding things back as some sort of element of surprise is way overrated. Better to execute and have some success. Make them scout everything.
"Holding things back, not showing much, etc." is something that fans came up with. I've never heard a player or coach talk about how they're dumbing down a playbook for one opponent for the sole purpose of not showing a future opponent what they might do.

So every year we have this “learning the new offense” (or playbook) or something around those lines as a reason for not performing. No.

Block your guy. Throw semi-accurately. Catch. Run fast. Score the damn football. We shouldn’t need anything close to perfect execution to crush a team like this.

If the OL isn’t dominant on Saturday, George can start looking for a job at the Division II level.

"Holding things back, not showing much, etc." is something that fans came up with. I've never heard a player or coach talk about how they're dumbing down a playbook for one opponent for the sole purpose of not showing a future opponent what they might do.
I agree. It’s a dumb thing that gets brought by every fanbase/media member for every game against an inferior opponent early in the season for every team.

There’s also the idea that the more you show, the more future opponents need to prepare for, but it never seems to be considered.

More likely, teams don’t show as much early in the season, because they’re still working on becoming a functional unit.

Looking forward to the Hawks moving the ball in the air and on the ground behind solid blocking and picking up first downs when needed. Few penalties. Solid as usual defense. Good special teams play. No fumbles or dropped (catchable) passes and 2 or 3 highlight film plays. Would like to see a couple of players stand out on offense/special teams. No injuries. Don't care what the winning score is.

I agree. It’s a dumb thing that gets brought by every fanbase/media member for every game against an inferior opponent early in the season for every team.

There’s also the idea that the more you show, the more future opponents need to prepare for, but it never seems to be considered.

More likely, teams don’t show as much early in the season, because they’re still working on becoming a functional unit.
Adding things off of established tendencies as the season progresses happens. But teams usually do what they can. Iowas problem has been… that’s usually not much early on so the O line better dominate.

It would be interesting to see an average score stat to see if week one games are typically lower scoring than those later in the season.

I have. They talk about that for early season games but don't think they necessarily should.

"You don't unload the whole hay wagon for just one cow."

Hayden Fry

These are the games where your offense is supposed to come out and dominate, giving your backups a chance to play in the second half. Illinois state was 4-8 last year.

30 points should be the floor
Haven't looked, but both Kirk and Cade in pressers said they were 6-5 last year, (missing a game somewhere) and 4 of those losses were by a total of 8 points! So they may not be that big a push over. Add to that the HC was the DC I believe at Purdue under Joe Tiller when they were pretty good, so he's very aware of Iowa and has coached in Kinnick numerous times.

It does make for an interesting dynamic that Lester‘s first game will not have a head coach next to him on the sidelines

Yes, they were six and five last season. I’m still fixated on Colorado. Nonetheless, you should take care of an average FCS team on your home field. It shouldn’t be close.

Last edited:
So every year we have this “learning the new offense” (or playbook) or something around those lines as a reason for not performing. No.

Block your guy. Throw semi-accurately. Catch. Run fast. Score the damn football. We shouldn’t need anything close to perfect execution to crush a team like this.

If the OL isn’t dominant on Saturday, George can start looking for a job at the Division II level.
D2 might be setting the bar a bit high..........maybe middle school

I bet we see less zone blocking and that's a good thing
I am interested in seeing how many penalties we have on offense. How will the line do with the new system. False starts. Sounds like we will have more going in motion on plays. No expert on OL play. What do you experts think?

Exactly… Tired of some fans coming up with this. Our offense hasn’t changed from game 1 to game 12 since Ferentz has been coach. Iowa does not hold anything back offensively. They can’t afford to.

The only thing that has happened is that we throw in one wrinkle on offense, in one game maybe once every couple years, and then we never see it again. It’s not even remotely the same thing.

Lester will set the tone for the season: 400 yards of offense and 40 points.
The Office Crying GIF

It does make for an interesting dynamic that Lester‘s first game will not have a head coach next to him on the sidelines

Yes, they were six and five last season. I’m still fixated on Colorado. Nonetheless, you should take care of an average FCS team on your home field. It shouldn’t be close.
Not an "average" FCS team. They are ranked I believe. Just sayin'

No doubt Iowa should always beat an FCS team - but they haven't.

The opening games the past couple of seasons have really been an omen for how effective or ineffective the offense is going to be. Defenses basically loaded the LOS, played man coverage underneath and had safety help over the top and there was nothing that BF could do to combat that. Now, with a mobile QB and doesn't matter which one, a versatile TE like Lachey who can line up wide, and speed at the skill positions I am looking forward to TL being able to lighten the box. I want to see who good this OL is and the running game in a fair fight. Then the real question is if ISU brings their safeties down can we beat them over the top.

Not an "average" FCS team. They are ranked I believe. Just sayin'

No doubt Iowa should always beat an FCS team - but they haven't.
At this point, the ranking means nothing they were six and five last year. Crush their souls.
The opening games the past couple of seasons have really been an omen for how effective or ineffective the offense is going to be. Defenses basically loaded the LOS, played man coverage underneath and had safety help over the top and there was nothing that BF could do to combat that. Now, with a mobile QB and doesn't matter which one, a versatile TE like Lachey who can line up wide, and speed at the skill positions I am looking forward to TL being able to lighten the box. I want to see who good this OL is and the running game in a fair fight. Then the real question is if ISU brings their safeties down can we beat them over the top.
and will we try?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT