ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump takes credit for overturning Roe v. Wade while in Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former Republican president Donald Trump took credit for ending Roe v. Wade while campaigning in Iowa Wednesday, but he cautioned that Republicans can't win in 2024 unless they "learn how to properly talk about abortion."

"You have to follow your heart. You can’t do it for just the election," he said at a campaign event in Dubuque. "But you have to follow your heart. At the same time, you have to win elections, otherwise, we’ll be back where we were."

He reiterated his belief that abortion hindered Republicans' chances in 2022 — comments that have rankled some Iowa faith leaders.

"This issue cost us unnecessarily but dearly in the midterms," he said. "It cost us dearly, really, and unnecessarily."

His visit comes after he gave a controversial interview to NBC's Meet The Press, where he criticized Florida's six-week abortion ban as "a terrible mistake." That law closely mirrors Iowa's six-week abortion law, which Republicans have cheered.

The comments have frustrated prominent conservatives, including Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, who posted to social media Tuesday that “It’s never a ‘terrible thing’ to protect innocent life."

Trump didn't discuss a six-week ban or other policy proposals while campaigning Wednesday. But he said Republicans must be willing to cast Democrats as the "radicals" on abortion.

"Like Ronald Reagan before me, I believe in the three exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother," Trump said. "I believe in that. I think it’s very important. Without the exceptions, it is very difficult to win elections. We would probably lose the majorities in 2024 without the exceptions and perhaps the presidency itself."

But even as some Republicans express concern that Trump may be backtracking on his support for the anti-abortion movement, Democrats have been adamant that his past record should indicate what he's likely to support in the future.

Trump, who appointed three U.S. Supreme Court justices and laid the path for the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, has drawn fire from anti-abortion activists for saying "I think both sides are going to like me" on the issue.

One prominent group has called on Republican presidential hopefuls to support at least a 15-week federal ban on abortion.

Craig Kolwaski of Dubuque, who attended Wednesday, told the Register that he is "pro-life" and the former president's comments were concerning but wouldn't be enough to stop supporting him in the caucuses.

IOWA CAUCUSES

In Iowa, Donald Trump says GOP needs to find the right abortion message to win in 2024​

Galen Bacharier Brianne Pfannenstiel
Des Moines Register

SKIP

DUBUQUE, Iowa — Former Republican president Donald Trump took credit for ending Roe v. Wade while campaigning in Iowa Wednesday, but he cautioned that Republicans can't win in 2024 unless they "learn how to properly talk about abortion."
"You have to follow your heart. You can’t do it for just the election," he said at a campaign event in Dubuque. "But you have to follow your heart. At the same time, you have to win elections, otherwise, we’ll be back where we were."
He reiterated his belief that abortion hindered Republicans' chances in 2022 — comments that have rankled some Iowa faith leaders.
"This issue cost us unnecessarily but dearly in the midterms," he said. "It cost us dearly, really, and unnecessarily."

His visit comes after he gave a controversial interview to NBC's Meet The Press, where he criticized Florida's six-week abortion ban as "a terrible mistake." That law closely mirrors Iowa's six-week abortion law, which Republicans have cheered.
The comments have frustrated prominent conservatives, including Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, who posted to social media Tuesday that “It’s never a ‘terrible thing’ to protect innocent life."

More:Donald Trump to campaign in Iowa amid Republican backlash to his recent abortion comments
Trump didn't discuss a six-week ban or other policy proposals while campaigning Wednesday. But he said Republicans must be willing to cast Democrats as the "radicals" on abortion.
"Like Ronald Reagan before me, I believe in the three exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother," Trump said. "I believe in that. I think it’s very important. Without the exceptions, it is very difficult to win elections. We would probably lose the majorities in 2024 without the exceptions and perhaps the presidency itself."
But even as some Republicans express concern that Trump may be backtracking on his support for the anti-abortion movement, Democrats have been adamant that his past record should indicate what he's likely to support in the future.

Trump, who appointed three U.S. Supreme Court justices and laid the path for the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, has drawn fire from anti-abortion activists for saying "I think both sides are going to like me" on the issue.
One prominent group has called on Republican presidential hopefuls to support at least a 15-week federal ban on abortion.
Craig Kolwaski of Dubuque, who attended Wednesday, told the Register that he is "pro-life" and the former president's comments were concerning but wouldn't be enough to stop supporting him in the caucuses.
"I'd like to agree with him on 100% of the things," said Kolwalski, who is hosting a "President Trump Unity Rally & 2020 Election Denial Conference" next week in Wisconsin. "It's not gonna happen. But on the big ones, you know, in the MAGA base ain't moving."

That was a common sentiment among others who attended Wednesday's events.
Mary and Wayne Wagoner, who attended the Maquoketa rally, both said they were hoping to "hear more" from him on the issue of abortion, which he did not mention. But he remained their first choice in the caucuses.

calls to silence opposition. Isn’t this what the righties on this board claim that Biden is doing?
I don't know. The RWers on this board are all cowards, @NorthernHawkeye in particular.

The problem is that there are so many of them that I can't tell them apart anymore. They all quote from the same play card. How many of "them" are actually the same person? None of them have the courage to stand alone on their own. They all try to hide in obscurity. It helps to hide their own cowardice.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don't know. The RWers on this board are all cowards, @NorthernHawkeye in particular.

The problem is that there are so many of them that I can't tell them apart anymore. They all quote from the same play card. How many of "them" are actually the same person? None of them have the courage to stand alone on their own. They all try to hide in obscurity. It helps to hide their own cowardice.

Give examples. Be specific.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT