ADVERTISEMENT

Don't get hopes up...

Smallish 5s, and Kris is just a small five, find it hard to defend without fouling when the guy is 4 or 5 inches taller and much stronger. I mean Kofi could probably bench press the Murrays. The key to our season is not Kris playing many minutes at the 5.

Iowa needs centers who can at least contain or impede the other big guys so any combination of Patrick, Payton, Kris and Tony are free to jack rabbit down court. We'll likely need a point guard in the middle with good floor vision.

That is Iowa's fairly simple recipe for success this season. A lot of that depends on competent play from the three bigs. Wild prediction, Riley emerges as a good low post defender, scorer and rebounder.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I'm not saying Kris will only get 25 mpg, he'll probably end up around 30-32. But at times he'll be the 5, especially if they go, say (example), DB, TP, PS, PMac and KM. In that, Kris is the 5. And yes, I can absolutely see that lineup getting a few mpg together.

And yes, I think Kris is the only player that will get 30 or more mpg. Keep in mind, I'm not saying they "should" get him. Just that there's room if they do. Nice thing about 6'7 combo forwards...you can play 2/3/4 of them at the same time.
This transfer would be a good player. Some of our fans here act like we ahve a roster full of NBA draft picks on the team. We have 1, Kr. Murray. Yes, you could play Murray and Penn together for 10-15 minutes a game if needed. Yes, they would have trouble defending interior players, but many teams Iowa plays don't have big post scorers. Getting good basketball players on your team is a good thing, regardless of position.

Smallish 5s, and Kris is just a small five, find it hard to defend without fouling when the guy is 4 or 5 inches taller and much stronger. I mean Kofi could probably bench press the Murrays. The key to our season is not Kris playing many minutes at the 5.

Iowa needs centers who can at least contain or impede the other big guys so any combination of Patrick, Payton, Kris and Tony are free to jack rabbit down court. We'll likely need a point guard in the middle with good floor vision.

That is Iowa's fairly simple recipe for success this season. A lot of that depends on competent play from the three bigs. Wild prediction, Riley emerges as a good low post defender, scorer and rebounder.
Well, at least Kofi (I believe) is no longer at Illinois. 😉

Fran needs to get on the phone with Stubbs and ask for a few pointers.. DePaul hasn’t been relevant for 2 decades yet they added 3 really good players from the portal + bringing in Zion Cruz.

It’s clear that some coaches get where the trajectory of college basketball is going while others remain in the past.

big-lebowski.gif

Reactions: bulletproof90
Fran needs to get on the phone with Stubbs and ask for a few pointers.. DePaul hasn’t been relevant for 2 decades yet they added 3 really good players from the portal + bringing in Zion Cruz.

It’s clear that some coaches get where the trajectory of college basketball is going while others remain in the past.
So you believe Iowa and Fran should be trying to emulate DePaul's program? That's a hard "no" from me.

04.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Riley is going to surprise a lot of people this year. We will have depth against the big centers. We go small we have Filip for center. There will be 80 minutes to play the forwards. Right now there are four. The first three are Kris, Patrick and Payton will play most of those. Connor's minutes get distributed all over four positions but some of his minutes will be out of those 80. Same thing at the guards. Ahron and Dasonte provide 2 point guards, and big questions exist about both, and Tony is the only known player that can guard 2s, at least not for long stretches. That leaves a kid that may not be able to play for more than a few minutes, who might be so athletically impaired he cannot really play much defense. Now Connor can cover a lot of minutes at the 2 but I'd still like the portal to produce a good shooter than at least isn't a defensive liability.
Yeah, I have heard a couple people talk about Mulvey. Remember, he put on a ton of weight coming from HS and likely getting used to his physical change, as well as speed of the game.

I think it likely will be a 9 man rotation with front court of Kris, PMac, Sandfort, Rebraca, & Mulvey and back court of Perkins, Ulis, Bowen, & CMac.

Josh can fill in like he has in past when need the big body and fouls - I would love to be wrong but can't see him being much more than that unless he improves a lot. Not counting on Dix for this year at this point.

So you believe Iowa and Fran should be trying to emulate DePaul's program? That's a hard "no" from me.
I see you struggle with reading comprehension. nowhere did I say let’s try and be DePaul, simply suggesting our coach could better attack the portal.

Stubbs is in just his second year and has already landed more talented transfers than Fran has in his 10+ year tenure at Iowa. How’s that the case? DePaul hasn’t been relevant since the early 2000’s.

Also, fwiw Fran is 0-1 against DePaul and took an ass beating at home. Let’s not puff the chest out and pretend this program is Duke, we haven’t been to a sweet 16 in my lifetime lmao

I see you struggle with reading comprehension. nowhere did I say let’s try and be DePaul, simply suggesting our coach could better attack the portal.

Stubbs is in just his second year and has already landed more talented transfers than Fran has in his 10+ year tenure at Iowa. How’s that the case? DePaul hasn’t been relevant since the early 2000’s.

Also, fwiw Fran is 0-1 against DePaul and took an ass beating at home. Let’s not puff the chest out and pretend this program is Duke, we haven’t been to a sweet 16 in my lifetime lmao
That game is your basis for declaring that DePaul is a better program than Iowa's? LOL!

And as far as Stubblefield goes, what is his record as a head coach?

😉

Reactions: seer_hawk
That game is your basis for declaring that DePaul is a better program than Iowa's? LOL!

And as far as Stubblefield goes, what is his record as a head coach?

😉
Where did I say that loss meant DePaul was a better program? I beg you to go back to third grade so you can learn how to read.

Where did I say that loss meant DePaul was a better program? I beg you to go back to third grade so you can learn how to read.
You used them as an example of how their coach is only in his second year but "has already landed more talented transfers than Fran has in his 10+ year tenure at Iowa." WTF does that have to do with anything? Has he ever done anything with the players he's brought in? Recruiting transfers is not a measure of success - it's what a coach can do with those players when they get on campus.

And you also said that "DePaul hasn’t been relevant since the early 2000’s." Clueless - they STILL aren't relevant.

You finished with "Also, fwiw Fran is 0-1 against DePaul and took an ass beating at home." The was against a different team and coach. Those players are all gone. That has nothing to do with how well Iowa compares to their current coach (no winning seasons as a HC ANYWHERE) or team. DePaul finished 16-16 that season. Iowa finished 20-11 and ranked 25th in the final poll.

College basketball is about more than transfers. When a coach mainly recruits HS players and develops them into good/great players, why does he need to bring in 5 transfers a year like DePaul has?

You used them as an example of how their coach is only in his second year but "has already landed more talented transfers than Fran has in his 10+ year tenure at Iowa." WTF does that have to do with anything? Has he ever done anything with the players he's brought in? Recruiting transfers is not a measure of success - it's what a coach can do with those players when they get on campus.

And you also said that "DePaul hasn’t been relevant since the early 2000’s." Clueless - they STILL aren't relevant.

You finished with "Also, fwiw Fran is 0-1 against DePaul and took an ass beating at home." The was against a different team and coach. Those players are all gone. That has nothing to do with how well Iowa compares to their current coach (no winning seasons as a HC ANYWHERE) or team. DePaul finished 16-16 that season. Iowa finished 20-11 and ranked 25th in the final poll.

College basketball is about more than transfers. When a coach mainly recruits HS players and develops them into good/great players, why does he need to bring in 5 transfers a year like DePaul has?
This is a great post that will fall on completely deaf ears.

You see that some people STILL don't realize that theres a reason that some of these guys transfer, (some of them multiple times ), and that basketball is a team game which requires chemistry. As for "better attacking the portal", you'd think that Fran has made NO attempt to bring players in, which simply is NOT the case.

Reactions: chaneccooms

I have never seen someone be able to stretch the goalposts and switch a narrative like you.
Get a job and touch grass my brother in Christ, it’s quite sad.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
The reality is some coaches will use the Portal and some will not or will use it sparingly. Some coaches will pretty much stop recruiting high school players and some will recruit portal players exclusively. There is no right or wrong way, just different ways. If you don’t like Fran’s philosophy then by all means find another program to support, such as Arkansas. Fran has said he is only using the portal to replace an unexpected vacancy and I am absolutely fine with that. The better portal guys are looking for mega $$$ and Iowa probably won’t get into a bidding war or pay to play. Like it or not, this is right now, the Iowa way.

Sure small ball is great, but you better have a lot of depth for whomever guards the post. Refs call a lot of fouls in post play in college ball. Kris is too good a player to have hims sitting on bench because he picks ups cheap fouls guarding an opposing big.
That's why you have to iso that matchup on offense.

The big usually picks up fouls faster and more frequently than the smaller guy if you commit to the strategy of making them defend a ballhandler every possession.

So we should land talented transfers to remain irrelevant, as has DePaul?

You see that some people STILL don't realize that theres a reason that some of these guys transfer, (some of them multiple times ), and that basketball is a team game which requires chemistry. As for "better attacking the portal", you'd think that Fran has made NO attempt to bring players in, which simply is NOT the case.
To extend that thought, the starting center on the BIG TEN Champions, a 26 win team, was a portal transfer.
Bakari Evans was exactly what the 2020 team needed and was, if correctly recall, the only reserve guard. So, it's not as if the portal has produced nothing.

Reactions: hooper56
ADVERTISEMENT