ADVERTISEMENT

Dostal cucumbers

mstp1992

HR Legend
Dec 10, 2011
Cedar Rapids -- Iowa City
faseb.org
Anyone grow these? Apparently not a cucumber in the true sense of the word. They can be both a summer & winter squash, which I haven't seen before. I got a pack of seeds from Seed Savers and thought I'd give 'em a try.

Are they the longer type cucumber? If so, they sell them at COSTCO and we get them on a regular basis for dips. They don't taste very good in ice water though. Only the normal cucumbers should be used for that.

Are they the longer type cucumber? If so, they sell them at COSTCO and we get them on a regular basis for dips. They don't taste very good in ice water though. Only the normal cucumbers should be used for that.
Appearance-wise, they're like some sort of cross of the Central American squashes (pink banana, blue banana) and Delicata squash. I have some extra room in my garden and thought a hill's worth (4 seeds) was worth the risk. I tried blue Hubbard a few years ago and was thoroughly disappointed.
If these turn out lousy too, I can always give them to some hungry grad students :cool:.

Appearance-wise, they're like some sort of cross of the Central American squashes (pink banana, blue banana) and Delicata squash. I have some extra room in my garden and thought a hill's worth (4 seeds) was worth the risk. I tried blue Hubbard a few years ago and was thoroughly disappointed.
If these turn out lousy too, I can always give them to some hungry grad students :cool:.

These are the kind my wife buys for a dip she makes for get togethers and such. Not a big fan of them. I like the taste of traditional cucumbers myself. These have a slight "edge" to them.

cucumbers_300.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT