ADVERTISEMENT

USPS in Iowa

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
Apparently, it's a hot mess. Some poor folks are waiting for mail from January. When it snows, or the weather is bad, or they don't care to give 2 shits to deliver, this has happened to me. But it does show up after 2 weeks tops. These people haven't received things like tax documents, medical supplies etc. Before you say, hey it's all electronic these days, many of these people are old, computer illiterate and disadvantaged and can't afford things you and I take for granted. My goal isn't to shit on the USPS but for a developed country it's beyond pathetic. Have I mentioned the 452 sets of human cremains that are sitting unidentified?

Not to worry, Chuckles is on the case.

We get mail almost every day but it's not until between 6 and 7 PM. Some days there is just nothing.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I plan on retiring in a few years. I would strongly consider quitting my current job to deliver mail a couple years.

At this point all I need is time for 401k to increase because my contributions don’t matter much at this point.

The hiring process to work at the post office looks like at hot mess. Every opening starts with some bullshit on call temp type crap for weekends.

How about just hiring people full time to deliver mail on weekdays? Seems like they go out of their way to irritate normal people.

Can’t say I’ve had issues with mail delivery in my area. Delivery guy is fairly consistent and delivers around noon everyday.

Reactions: NI hawk
I remember my old mail dude walking my old block (which was hilly) with a bag full of mail independent of season. They used to have surplus war jeeps back then. Now, it's like drive 20 feet, drive 20 more feet, toss mail somewhere in the vicinity of the home, move on. Don't feel like it, meh don't deliver.

Then again, back then, you knew the mail guy or gal. They were the same person year after year and most got to know them on a personal basis. These days, the person who tosses my mail is different pretty much daily.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
My delivery man Earnie is top notch. He’s in his late 70s. Never fails me. FedEx and UPS destroy packages frequently.

I remember my old mail dude walking my old block (which was hilly) with a bag full of mail independent of season. They used to have surplus war jeeps back then. Now, it's like drive 20 feet, drive 20 more feet, toss mail somewhere in the vicinity of the home, move on. Don't feel like it, meh don't deliver.

Then again, back then, you knew the mail guy or gal. They were the same person year after year and most got to know them on a personal basis. These days, the person who tosses my mail is different pretty much daily.
We have a very fit Asian lady who delivers our mail and she is superb. Very friendly too.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I plan on retiring in a few years. I would strongly consider quitting my current job to deliver mail a couple years.

At this point all I need is time for 401k to increase because my contributions don’t matter much at this point.

The hiring process to work at the post office looks like at hot mess. Every opening starts with some bullshit on call temp type crap for weekends.

How about just hiring people full time to deliver mail on weekdays? Seems like they go out of their way to irritate normal people.
That’s how the post office works.
It’s not a fun job at all.
I was a rural carrier for about a year before I said no more.
You are a part time employee to start and have no benefits and are scheduled to work wherever and whenever they need you. You will get 1 day off in the week, unless they forget which happens often and they call on a day you already have scheduled to come in and tell you to stay home because you have to take a day off. .
There is no set time of when you will become a full time employee as it depends on when the person(s) in front of you retire or quit. It could be months or years before you become full time.
Also know that you will not be a mail carrier. You will be a package delivery person that also drops off mail.
Depending on where you work, some developments have a CBU which is the cluster of mail boxes. Your route will be set up and determined by the route to those mail boxes. It does not take into account that you will end up having to go to every other house in that neighborhood to deliver packages because the CBU only has space for 2-4 small packages.
During the winter Christmas months you will be working 10+ hours a day guaranteed and good luck knowing if you are going to the correct house because it’s dark and most places do not have a house address that is visible.
The system that the post office is about 30 years behind in technology (you track your hours for the week on a piece of paper and turn it in at the end of the week) and don’t think about taking a break
Good luck on the crappy winter months as well.

In Coralville we get mail 2-3 times per week. That's it. Outgoing mail might sit for 2 days before it's even picked up.

Since moving east I've been taking Amtrak more, because it's actually useful here unlike the one daily train in southern Iowa. The train equipment is old and the basic reservation software is from the 1970s. I had an issue a few weeks ago where the Qr code on the app didn't match the code on my ticket. I asked an agent and they said "app sucks" and that was that. I'm not surprised the postal service is having problems in 2024 after experiencing the other pseudo public corporation.

MV5BYzczNDVkZDAtNDgyOS00Y2M4LWE2ZjMtM2FkNzY2Yjk5MTdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ0MTE1NjU@._V1_.jpg

That's not a bad idea actually and I will probably be in your shoes in not too long of a period of time. However, I imagine that having a good regular mail route goes to those with tenure, while the newbies get the shit duty, kind of like how pilots have to work their way through the system with different airlines and routes.

That's weird, my eastside IC mailwoman has been doing our route for several years now, probably a decade or more, and she couldn't be a friendlier or nicer person. She stops and has a chat with our cats and the dog as they often greet her at the door or spy on her through the window.

If my mail is late, it probably slips by without me noticing the mailing date, I don't have much mail that is time sensitive for me.

Reactions: lucas80 and GOHOX69
It's not systemic, fortunately. Chicago was the absolute worst that I've had. Both Brooklyn and Baltimore are like clockwork.

they have to deliver shit for fed ex or ups all the time. Add in a bunch of boxes and it slows stuff down.
You should find it amazing that for the price what you actually get.

they have to deliver shit for fed ex or ups all the time. Add in a bunch of boxes and it slows stuff down.
Amazing or not, if you bothered to see or read the report, people have been missing mail since January. And unfortunately, it is not an isolated issue. You can lipstick your pig however you want.

That’s how the post office works.
It’s not a fun job at all.
I was a rural carrier for about a year before I said no more.
You are a part time employee to start and have no benefits and are scheduled to work wherever and whenever they need you. You will get 1 day off in the week, unless they forget which happens often and they call on a day you already have scheduled to come in and tell you to stay home because you have to take a day off. .
There is no set time of when you will become a full time employee as it depends on when the person(s) in front of you retire or quit. It could be months or years before you become full time.
Also know that you will not be a mail carrier. You will be a package delivery person that also drops off mail.
Depending on where you work, some developments have a CBU which is the cluster of mail boxes. Your route will be set up and determined by the route to those mail boxes. It does not take into account that you will end up having to go to every other house in that neighborhood to deliver packages because the CBU only has space for 2-4 small packages.
During the winter Christmas months you will be working 10+ hours a day guaranteed and good luck knowing if you are going to the correct house because it’s dark and most places do not have a house address that is visible.
The system that the post office is about 30 years behind in technology (you track your hours for the week on a piece of paper and turn it in at the end of the week) and don’t think about taking a break
Good luck on the crappy winter months as well.
We have one of those CBU things at the condo complex where I live. Our mail carrier brings a little chain and blocks entrance to the mailboxes while he’s filling the boxes. At least that what used to happen. Now when he gets there he put up his little chain and then gets back in his mail truck and takes a nap. I’ve seen him sitting there asleep with the truck running and mailboxes blocked off for over an hour. Apparently he has told people it’s a felony to duck under his chain while he’s asleep in his truck.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
No problems at our house, at least not anything we've noticed since new packages and mail show up every day.

USPS has always been a huge bargain compared to the private courier services. I had to overnight some time sensitive documents this week that required a signature certification upon delivery through Fed Ex and the grand total for that simple envelope was nearly $100. I about fell over when they quoted the price, but I had no alternative due to the client's preferred service provider.

Apparently, it's a hot mess. Some poor folks are waiting for mail from January. When it snows, or the weather is bad, or they don't care to give 2 shits to deliver, this has happened to me. But it does show up after 2 weeks tops. These people haven't received things like tax documents, medical supplies etc. Before you say, hey it's all electronic these days, many of these people are old, computer illiterate and disadvantaged and can't afford things you and I take for granted. My goal isn't to shit on the USPS but for a developed country it's beyond pathetic. Have I mentioned the 452 sets of human cremains that are sitting unidentified?

Not to worry, Chuckles is on the case.

I remember in my Indian History class Dr. Singh spoke so glowing of how in India the mail was delivered multiple times per day.

Been an issue folks have bitched about in Tally for a while now:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...see-mail-service-amid-complaints/71228658007/

USPS has always been a huge bargain compared to the private courier services. I had to overnight some time sensitive documents this week that required a signature certification upon delivery through Fed Ex and the grand total for that simple envelope was nearly $100. I about fell over when they quoted the price, but I had no alternative due to the client's preferred service provider.
Overnight?
What about yesterday?

Reactions: dgordo
We have one of those CBU things at the condo complex where I live. Our mail carrier brings a little chain and blocks entrance to the mailboxes while he’s filling the boxes. At least that what used to happen. Now when he gets there he put up his little chain and then gets back in his mail truck and takes a nap. I’ve seen him sitting there asleep with the truck running and mailboxes blocked off for over an hour. Apparently he has told people it’s a felony to duck under his chain while he’s asleep in his truck.
Haha never heard of the chain thing while I worked there. He’s probably another reason why mail is missing.

Lou DeJoy is practicing for absentee ballot mailout later this year....

My delivery man Earnie is top notch. He’s in his late 70s. Never fails me. FedEx and UPS destroy packages frequently.
If you are talking about the Ernie in Cedar Rapids. He actually turns 90 next week and is still delivering mail. He started in October of 1959. He's a legend!

It's bad here in KC. Sent some things to the IRS for work via certified mail, it took a month to get the confirmation receipts back. Opened an account with a new bank a month ago. Finally received my debit card yesterday after two other failed attempts. It's getting ridiculous.

Haha never heard of the chain thing while I worked there. He’s probably another reason why mail is missing.
USPS workers don't like the collection boxes because it reduces the amount of worker/time required to deliver mail. They think these eliminate jobs. Another csb about these boxes, essentially all collection boxes throughout a city uses the same key, so if a mailman loses a key and someone finds it, they would essentially have to change the lock on every cbu (if they actually cared)

• Haha
Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
USPS workers don't like the collection boxes because it reduces the amount of worker/time required to deliver mail. They think these eliminate jobs. Another csb about these boxes, essentially all collection boxes throughout a city uses the same key, so if a mailman loses a key and someone finds it, they would essentially have to change the lock on every cbu (if they actually cared)
That’s far from the truth. They hate them because they are an all around a pain in the arse. The slots are narrow and for the people that pick up their mail once a week, it doesn’t leave much room to jam all the mail in there. In that situation the post office tells the carrier to take all of that persons mail back to the office and leave a note that says come to the office to pick up your mail.
I’m sure you can imagine how that goes when the lazy arse has to come to the post office to get his or her mail.
And as I mention earlier, postal carriers hate them because they end up having to take packages to every house in that development anyway and that time and gas mileage is not figured into the “route”

plus it’s so much fun shoving mail into them and having all the old people who’s highlight of the day is getting the mail, annoying the shit out of you or complaining about John Doe while you’re trying to get the hell out of there.
windy days are great as well when mail starts flying out when you open the doors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT