ADVERTISEMENT

Down goes Illinois!

If you go look at Illannoy's season, it is NOT very impressive. In pre-B1G, they beat FL-Atlantic on a neutral court, but lost other games against ranked teams. They haven't been blowing teams away, even at home. Not quite what I was thinking, until I looked.

Not predicting a win, but they aren't unbeatable. Mary Land beat them by 9 on their court, and other mediocre teams have been close.

Need to keep them off the boards and figure out how to contain Shannon. I hope Josh eats his Wheaties Sat morning.

Reactions: skydog0784
The announcer said last night that Shannon was the most physical player in the conference and takes what he wants. A little paraphrasing but it sounded like something he had prepared if the situation presented itself 😂

Should Terrence Shannon even be playing after being arrested on rape charges?

If he were a Hawkeye, would he be allowed to play for Iowa after the Pierre Pierce fiasco?

I don't think Beth would allow it.

Why? Illinois would have taken Iowa lightly but now they won’t? Illinois will simply try harder against their next opponent and unfortunately it just happens it will be Iowa? Penn State will be a more confident team and Iowa happens to play them in the next week? How did that work out for Iowa after they came back and beat Minnesota at home and then went on the road and lost to Maryland? Conversely, why won’t Illinois’s confidence be shaken and make them more susceptible to losing?
Because f*** Wisconsin....................that's why?

If he were a Hawkeye, would he be allowed to play for Iowa after the Pierre Pierce fiasco?

He received a standing ovation from the Illini Nation when he came back…how f’d up is that?!,!🤔

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
giphy.gif

The announcer said last night that Shannon was the most physical player in the conference and takes what he wants.

A little paraphrasing but it sounded like something he had prepared if the situation presented itself 😂
I typed up a couple of responses to this, but pulled them in the name of decorum.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
He received a standing ovation from the Illini Nation when he came back…how f’d up is that?!,!🤔

its not a good look.

IMO, if you have a player charged with rape, you suspend him indefinitely (until the issue is fully resolved). He can still be on scholarship but playing is a privilege, not a right. He knows all about student conduct; everything is laid out in the Letter of Intent he signed and in the Student Code of Conduct.

One good player is not worth the damage caused to the program. Pierre Pierce continues to haunt the Iowa program.

its not a good look.

IMO, if you have a player charged with rape, you suspend him indefinitely (until the issue is fully resolved). He can still be on scholarship but playing is a privilege, not a right. He knows all about student conduct; everything is laid out in the Letter of Intent he signed and in the Student Code of Conduct.

One good player is not worth the damage caused to the program. Pierre Pierce continues to haunt the Iowa program.
He was suspended in line with student conduct policy as documented but Shannon got a lawyer and sued his coach, AD , athletic dept and university.
They found an Illini fan judge who not only overruled the suspension but even required that the coach play as much as before the arrest.
So poor coach Underwood hands were tied and he was forced to play his best player Max minutes.
Tough deal.
Inmates(literally) have taken over the asylum.

• Sad
Reactions: DewHawk and NI hawk
He was suspended in line with student conduct policy as documented but Shannon got a lawyer and sued his coach, AD , athletic dept and university.
They found an Illini fan judge who not only overruled the suspension but even required that the coach play as much as before the arrest.
So poor coach Underwood hands were tied and he was forced to play his best player Max minutes.
Tough deal.
Inmates(literally) have taken over the asylum.

Illinois should have appealed the decision and kept him suspended until the appeal was heard.

With 37 seconds to go in the game, Illinois led 89-82.

In the final 37 seconds:

* A Terrance Shannon turnover led to a PSU layup.

* Coleman Hawkins missed the front end of a 1 and 1 (potential of 2 pts lost had he made both FTs).

Hawkins got the offensive rebound and was fouled.

* Coleman Hawkins AGAIN missed the front end of a 1 and 1 (potential of 2 pts lost had he made both FTs)

* Coleman Hawkins fouled the PSU 3 pt shooter (PSU made all 3 FTs to win the game 90-89)

Hawkins = B1G Stinker of the Week

Shannon says emphatically with no qualifiers he is not guilty. And the details of the case appear … pretty weak. If an Iowa player was accused of something and there was very little evidence he did it, I would not expect your fans to consider him guilty until proven innocent and for you to boo him at his own home game.

On the flip side, I would not expect Illini fans to care about the details of the case, and I’d bet they’d assume he was guilty (pretty much the default attitude in the US today) and boo him regardless. So I understand the treatment at away games.

Nobody here knows for sure the ultimate truth. If Shannon is innocent, the harassment from visiting fans is really terrible, and I’d imagine they’ll surely regret taunting an innocent college kid for something he didn’t do while he’s still innocent in the eyes of the law. If he’s guilty, obviously Illini fans will regret believing him and supporting him during the trial period.

Last edited:
If an Iowa player was accused of something and there was very little evidence he did it, I would not expect your fans to consider him guilty until proven innocent and for you to boo him at his own home game.

On the flip side, I would not expect Illini fans to care about the details of the case, and I’d bet they’d assume he was guilty (pretty much the default attitude in the US today) and boo him regardless.
Iowa fans are sensitive to these cases due to the ugly pierce situation.
Part of the problem in the PP situation was a lack of a clear cut documented university policy that addressed the situation.
Illinois had a policy in place and acted on it to suspend Shannon.
The court overruled it.
I hope the young man is innocent.
But it seems to set a precedent that university policies are useless.
If Shannon is not found innocent I guess the University can blame the court so win-win for Illini BB program....does not seem right, tho.
Maybe this is a wrongful arrest, then it is on the law enforcement authorities.
I would expect an outcry from women's groups on campus like at Iowa during the PP deal if the evidence was strong, I suppose, so maybe he is innocent.
He is a tremendous player who I wish had gone pro last year.

its not a good look.

Absolutely agree. Pierce is forever a stain on Iowa basketball and I think a part of the reason fan attendance started to decline.

Shannon says emphatically with no qualifiers he is not guilty. And the details of the case appear … pretty weak. If an Iowa player was accused of something and there was very little evidence he did it, I would not expect your fans to consider him guilty until proven innocent and for you to boo him at his own home game.

On the flip side, I would not expect Illini fans to care about the details of the case, and I’d bet they’d assume he was guilty (pretty much the default attitude in the US today) and boo him regardless. So I understand the treatment at away games.

Nobody here knows for sure the ultimate truth. If Shannon is innocent, the harassment from visiting fans is really terrible, and I’d imagine they’ll surely regret taunting an innocent college kid for something he didn’t do while he’s still innocent in the eyes of the law. If he’s guilty, obviously Illini fans will regret believing him and supporting him during the trial period.
yeah, I know Iowa has its own skeleton's and we are not one to talk. I get that they Illini fans wanted to back him if he is truly 100% innocent, so maybe it was more of a subdued clap - rather that a 'Yay, you beat the rape charge so now you can play for us!" clap....:cool:

My understanding was Shannon lawyered up and got a Judge to agree that Illinois suspending him from the team would damage his basketball career. I think the University hands were tied unless they wanted to appeal, and since it helps their B-ball team, they don't seem motivated. Possibly the coach would get into trouble by not playing him and keeping him on bench but still member of team , but that wasn't an issue because Underwood is all about wins and was happy to reinstate Shannon. The Illini home fans seem content with Shannon possibly being a rapist but a good Basketball player, so it no issue at home. ON the road there are some "No means No" chants but not too bad. I would imagine Shannon will settle this issue with a big payoff to the woman in question against his future NBA revenues. He does look like he is NBA material, though slightly damaged goods since he has this alleged rape. Kobe was able to become a rehabilitated saint after he settled his rape case financially, so there is precedent.

I suppose Josh Dix will have to guard Shannon and maybe some Perkins. Shannon gets to the rim every time there is a fast break so only hope is to try to keep him as far away from the rim as possible when he shoots. Josh is pretty good defender but probably not good enough.

Seems unlikely we will win at Illininois. They are a lot better than MSU imho because MSU was weak in post/paint and not able to take advantage of Freeman getting hosed by the refs.

If Shannon didn't want to have his BB career damaged, maybe he should have used better judgment and more control. I don't know the details, but if a lady accuses you of rape, you probably did something inappropriate, and maybe worse. I hope the university and the coaching staff at least did a little investigating. Usually, if this really happened, it isn't an isolated incident. MSU had a very similar incident a few years ago. For many, it is all about winning and Shannon is a great BB player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT