ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Steven’s question

Stevens will be our kicker next week, barring there being an injury or his head not being in the right place. He’s a great kicker that just had a bad day yesterday. Next week is in a dome which should help with his confidence if that was the real issue and not an injury,

Meeder is a good backup, but his stats at Central Michigan don’t pop as a great kicker. You need a guy like that on your roster though for days like yesterday.
And Kirk said Meeder is NOT a long distance kicker

Kicking is so much mental. You see it all the time, in any era, once a kicker starts to miss easy kicks, no matter how great they once were, it seems to take over their confidence. Seen it happen to NFL all pro kickers that suddenly go bad. Hopefully it is something fixable, as he was very good last year and most of this year.
Yet they usually get a couple more shots with other teams. It's a position where I don't get why nearly all of them aren't getting league minimum. Every decent college kicker hits from 50 now. I get you can't take any guy off the street, but it sure seems like teams that pay kickers a couple million could get almost the same result from someone out of a very large pool of candidates looking to do it for a lot less.

Yet they usually get a couple more shots with other teams. It's a position where I don't get why nearly all of them aren't getting league minimum. Every decent college kicker hits from 50 now. I get you can't take any guy off the street, but it sure seems like teams that pay kickers a couple million could get almost the same result from someone out of a very large pool of candidates looking to do it for a lot less.
Every college kicker can’t hit from 50 at a very high average. The occasional 50+ maybe, but not at a high rate. And I guarantee there are college kickers who can’t hit from 50+ in a game. Hitting from 50+ is icing on the cake. Coaches want someone who hits at a high average 40-49 and perfect inside 40.

Exactly. There seem to be very different criteria being applied to our kickers and QB’s.
As there should be. Kickers have one thing to be evaluated on. QBs are the most important players on the field. The game ( especially the way Iowa plays ) hangs in the balance on every decision he makes. First and foremost you need a total grasp of the playbook which only the coaches can evaluate. Us keyboard warriors are just speculating and if you’re positive's Ferentz isn’t trying to play the guy that he thinks gives us the best chance to win

Reactions: soybean and Hwt1
As there should be. Kickers have one thing to be evaluated on. QBs are the most important players on the field. The game ( especially the way Iowa plays ) hangs in the balance on every decision he makes. First and foremost you need a total grasp of the playbook which only the coaches can evaluate. Us keyboard warriors are just speculating and if you’re positive's Ferentz isn’t trying to play the guy that he thinks gives us the best chance to win
Kickers and punters are almost as important to Iowa unfortunately with their style of play.

This is one of the knocks on KF. How does he know that some of his qbs aren't just "gamers"? I have coached for a long time and know that some of my players just don't look great in practice and when the lights are on they play completely different. Other players look great in practice and then look scared/ hesitant/ make silly mistakes in games.

I understand it isn't KF's philosophy but I don't understand why a guy struggles so bad and we keep throwing him out there? Meanwhile, we have the game on the line and put in a kid who makes the game winner for his first kick ever (great call by the way!)

Again, still happy we won. I still hope KF walks away at the end of the year on top because it is something he deserves. He should make the Hall of Fame. Put out a statue because he kept this program going into the most sustained success it's ever had. He did a great job.
Being a "gamer" is not a real thing, it's a tired meme.

If you can't be trusted to execute in an incredibly controlled practice situation, you can't be trusted in a live game where very little is controlled.

Which podcast and when was this podcast created? I only want to know if this was some info that was known before the game but not really reported much or what.

Let me know, thanks in advance
I think it was post game Locked on Iowa.

Yeah. I don't know if that makes him a hypocrite.

Stevens has been money through most of his career for sure, and he was great earlier this year, but he's 5-10 with a missed extra point over the last 4 games. Something ain't right with him.
Maybe the holder might have something to do with it.

just barely cleared crossbar from 30?
Yes, but the snap was bad and Taylor barely got the ball in place. I would think meeder could make it from 40.

But I think if Stevens is not nagged by an injury he, the snapper, and holder will get their timing back.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Being a "gamer" is not a real thing, it's a tired meme.

If you can't be trusted to execute in an incredibly controlled practice situation, you can't be trusted in a live game where very little is controlled.

It is incredibly real. I've seen it.

It's not that they didn't try in practice but it's that there wasn't anyone better. You expect them to perform at a below average level during the game and they consistently do well.

It is incredibly real. I've seen it.

It's not that they didn't try in practice but it's that there wasn't anyone better. You expect them to perform at a below average level during the game and they consistently do well.
Unless you've "seen it" by watching someone consistently in practice and then also in a game, I don't believe you in the slightest, considering in all my years of coaching college football neither I nor my colleagues ever seen a "gamer", because they don't exist.

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Unless you've "seen it" by watching someone consistently in practice and then also in a game, I don't believe you in the slightest, considering in all my years of coaching college football neither I nor my colleagues ever seen a "gamer", because they don't exist.
Maybe it isn't the other guy is a 'gamer' - maybe it is that the starter has the yips when under pressure that he doesn't see during practice. So the gamer stays cool as a cucumber in a pressure situation.

Maybe it isn't the other guy is a 'gamer' - maybe it is that the starter has the yips when under pressure that he doesn't see during practice. So the gamer stays cool as a cucumber in a pressure situation.
Yips don't choose between practice and game reps.

Podcast said he had a groin pull in practice this past week.

Something was definitely off the last 3 games. Ever since that Northwestern winner, he hasn't been the same.

Which begs to mind, I'm curious if the lousy turf at Wrigley had anything to do with any potential injury.

I have... I also coach. Different sport though.

My colleagues all agree that it is real.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT