ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Thelwell visiting April 15 (6'3 guard; ONE Year Eligibility)

Les Miserables Reaction GIF

Can he defend and handle the ball?! That’s my criteria.i like the 6.2 assists a game. Wonder what his A/T ratio is?
Considering we only have a single PG on the roster---then yeah, getting a guy like either of these two PG prospects is a must, even if they aren't as good as the two players we lost. . Otherwise it will be like the year Bohannons Freshman year when there were not backup PGs and Fran had shooting guards/2G's like Ellingsen and Maishe Dailey try to play backup PG with not very good results.

Do to our lack of NIL money, Fran has a built in excuse not to do well in the Portal. What I'm not sure of is whether he has a built in excuse for not being able to raise more NIL---raising NIL seems like part of the job description.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think Fran needs to remind Tidwell that he has put several players in the NBA over the past few years! I don’t think SMU can match Fran’s numbers!
But Enfield probably can. Though I don't know if any of his guys were developmental ones--more bringing in 5-stars and not screwing it up with them.

for official visits, the school pays.

but i don't know how many school visits a transfer can make. the rules (if there are any) have changed so much.
Unlimited visits for players now--that's true for both transfers and high school kids. Schools have limits on how many of these they can host in a calendar year, but it's a big enough number that most schools would never hit it unless they were careless.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Drew Thelwell is a start, although not a great shooter watching his tape he has decent court awareness

poor man Tony Perkin's

Drew Thelwell is a start, although not a great shooter watching his tape he has decent court awareness

poor man Tony Perkin's
He’s actually a slightly better 3 point shooter than Perkins, 34% I think. Not bad, enough to make you guard him. Good assists and has the build to be a good defender. I like this pick up a lot. Fills our needs.

Last edited:
Can he defend and handle the ball?! That’s my criteria.i like the 6.2 assists a game. Wonder what his A/T ratio is?
Thelwell had almost a 3:1 assist to TO ratio, and was the dominant ballhandler on a team that had good success. Not sure about his defense, but Morehead is a winning program. Also shot a pretty good % at 3s.

poor man Tony Perkin's
Perkins would have awesome games, and then games where he completely checked out mentally. It would be nice if we could have someone who is more consistent from game to game, even if they don't bring the occasional spectacular highlights.

He’s actually a slightly better 3 point shooter than Perkins, 35% I think. Not bad, enough to make you guard him. Good assists and has the build to be a good defender. I like this pick up a lot. Fills our needs.
Perk only shot 29% from 3 last year which is not good. Part of the reason Perk didn’t take that next step.

Outside of Sandfort, poor perimeter shooting hurt the team at times last year. If Thelwell can shoot around his career average from three (35%) that will be a boost.

Last edited:
Perkins would have awesome games, and then games where he completely checked out mentally. It would be nice if we could have someone who is more consistent from game to game, even if they don't bring the occasional spectacular highlights.
With the players that are leaving the program, there’s a huge opportunity this offseason to raise the mental toughness level of the squad.

For the kids on the roster who actually cared enough to give a consistent effort, it had to be deflating to see some of the “leaders” on the 23-24 team so regularly give an effort that at best could be described as half-hearted.

From the clip I would consider Hunter an upgrade over Perkins. Unless there’s lots of video left out, of out-of-control drives followed by no-foul complaining and pouting. Followed by a series of missed jump shots, before even attempting to pass to someone else with a better look.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT