ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Thelwell visiting April 15 (6'3 guard; ONE Year Eligibility)

From the clip I would consider Hunter an upgrade over Perkins. Unless there’s lots of video left out, of out-of-control drives followed by no-foul complaining and pouting. Followed by a series of missed jump shots, before even attempting to pass to someone else with a better look.
upgrade will remain to be seen but would not be a surprise.

Thelwell was the team leader at Morehead, which had a winning team. If anything Tony was the quitter. His play the last few games was remarkably poor, and he decided to pursue $$$, even if it meant playing on a lousy team.
Was agreeing with the sentiment on the new kid. Didn’t communicate it clearly. Meant to imply as long as the kid isn’t a quitter like the past guy.

We now have two point guards, plus Dix who can manage the point. We have many forwards who either shoot the three or are low post (Dembele, Tadja, Koch). We need someone 6ft6in or bigger that's a slasher, high flying rim runner with defensive tenacity. Please.

Go find him Fran!

Kevin Durant Basketball GIF by Apple TV+

Considering we only have a single PG on the roster---then yeah, getting a guy like either of these two PG prospects is a must, even if they aren't as good as the two players we lost. . Otherwise it will be like the year Bohannons Freshman year when there were not backup PGs and Fran had shooting guards/2G's like Ellingsen and Maishe Dailey try to play backup PG with not very good results.

Do to our lack of NIL money, Fran has a built in excuse not to do well in the Portal. What I'm not sure of is whether he has a built in excuse for not being able to raise more NIL---raising NIL seems like part of the job description.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Fran has ZERO excuse at this point. He recruited the current roster, and thats why we have NO other point guards.......

I think it's important to note he shot 34% against Ohio Valley opponents. I wouldn't expect him to be much more than an average shooter at a higher level in the Big 10.

I think it's important to note he shot 34% against Ohio Valley opponents. I wouldn't expect him to be much more than an average shooter at a higher level in the Big 10.
Scoring hasn't been our problem. I like the idea of a big PG that can get to the rim, finish with either hand and distribute well. Oh yeah, and defend. That's this kid.

Seems like a good pick up to fill a need. Hopefully, his assists translate to the Big Ten level and turnovers don't increase a bunch. One of the characteristics of these Fran teams is their low turnover rate. We have to continue to take care of the ball to have a chance against some of these more talented teams.

Drew Thelwell is a start, although not a great shooter watching his tape he has decent court awareness

poor man Tony Perkin's

He’s actually a slightly better 3 point shooter than Perkins, 34% I think. Not bad, enough to make you guard him. Good assists and has the build to be a good defender. I like this pick up a lot. Fills our needs.

Mo is right. Drew was a better shooter than Tony from 3 and overall. I hope Drew's FT shooting (64.5%) won't be an issue.

Drew's assists to turnovers was better, too.

2023-24 Season:

Drew Thelwell: 34 GP, 34.4 min, 10.0 pts, 6.2 assts, 2.3 TO, 3.0 rebs, 33.8% from 3, 43.5% overall 64.5% FTs

Tony Perkins: 34 GP, 30.9 min, 14.0 pts, 4.6 assts, 1.9 TO, 4.4 rebs, 29.9% from 3, 43.2% overall 78.8% FTs

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Seems like a good pickup. Nice we got one fairly early and didn't have to suffer through a guy taking multiple other visits, before committing elsewhere, for a change. Hoping the coaches can pull in 1 or even 2 more guards as you can never have too many.

We now have 11 on scholarship (you can have 13).

We now have 3 guards (Harding, Dix, Thelwell).

And Mulvey is not much of an option.

Current 2024-2025 Roster:

Freshmen: 2 players

6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

Sophomores: 4 players

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

Juniors : 2 players

6'5" SG Josh Dix
6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***) -- on Nov 13, 2023 it was announced that Riley was redshirting the 2023-2024 season. He was originally scheduled to graduate in 2025.

Seniors: 3 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
6'3 PG Drew Thelwell

4 Notable Walk on players:

Freshmen: 1 player

Trey Buchanan—6’1, 175, combo guard, a preferred walk-on. Trey is the son of Indiana Pacers GM Chad Buchanan.

Sophomores: 1 player

Spencer Hutchison-- 6'4 guard; a walk on.

Juniors: 1 player

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; a preferred walk on.

Seniors: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; a preferred walk on.

6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

6'5" SG Josh Dix
6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***) -- on Nov 13, 2023 it was announced that Riley was redshirting the 2023-2024 season. He was originally scheduled to graduate in 2025.

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
6'3 PG Drew Thelwell

Trey Buchanan—6’1, 175, combo guard, a preferred walk-on. Trey is the son of Indiana Pacers GM Chad Buchanan.

Pryce Sandfort, Mulvey, and Brauns need to move on!

6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
6'3 PG Drew Thelwell

Pryce is a power forward? I think he's more small forward, shooting guard. And I think we could play Payton the same if we need to go bigger with Freeman, Dembele, Kock/Tadjo Dix/Sandfort, pick a pg.

6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
6'3 PG Drew Thelwell

Would it be too much to ask for Mulvey to contribute and earn his scholly.

We now have two point guards, plus Dix who can manage the point. We have many forwards who either shoot the three or are low post (Dembele, Tadja, Koch). We need someone 6ft6in or bigger that's a slasher, high flying rim runner with defensive tenacity. Please.

Go find him Fran!

Kevin Durant Basketball GIF by Apple TV+
Don't disagree, although Tadja might bring some of that. Problem with your thought is that Payton is going to get almost all of the minutes at the 3, with his brother also getting minutes at 3. Koch is a 3/4, who will be really good, just not sure about his true freshman year. I think we will have a lot of firepower, with two true PGs to feed the scorers. We also should be better defensively via addition by subtraction and a year more of experience for Dembele and Freeman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT