ADVERTISEMENT

Drivers Seat, Really?

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I have seen numerous posts and podcasts saying Iowa is in the drivers seat to win the West. C'mon, with our low scoring, every game is a toss-up. We need to win two of three. Rutgers will be a defensive slobber knocker this weekend. Hell, all three will be tough defensive struggles. Illinois has a good defense and Nebraska has played well also.

I think all these games are a toss-up. A field goal cpuld make the difference. Who ever scores a TD has a very good chance of winning.

Leaving in the morning, looking forward to a good game. Go Hawks!

I don't think it's difficult to understand, they are essentially 2 games up on Wisky, 2 games up on Minnesota barring a miracle against OSU. Nebraska is the west championship game. I'd put money on it Debby is going to drop 1 of their next 2 against Wisky and Maryland.
Yeah. I think all of these teams have 1 or 2 losses still in them. Iowa could lose to Rutgers and Illinois and still have a decent shot at winning the division with a win at Debbie's house.

Yeah. I think all of these teams have 1 or 2 losses still in them. Iowa could lose to Rutgers and Illinois and still have a decent shot at winning the division with a win at Debbie's house.
Iowa could really almost lock up this weekend with a win, Minny loss @Purdue and a Neb loss @ Maryland. Then, the following week a win vs. Illinois would sew it up before Black Friday and preclude me from dreading that Neb game being in Omaha and listening to all the noise around me.

Conf records and remaining schedules:

Iowa 4-2 Rutgers, Illinois & at Nebraska

Neb 3-3 Maryland, at Wisconsin, Iowa

Wisc 3-3 Northwestern, Nebraska & at Minnesota (Iowa holds tie breaker over them)

Minn 3-3 at Purdue, at Ohio State & Wisconsin (Minnesota would hold tie breaker over Iowa)

Illini 2-4 Indiana, at Iowa and Northwestern

NW 2-4 at Wisconsin, Purdue and at Illinois (Iowa holds tie breaker over them)

Purd 1-5 Minn; @ NW and home v Indiana

My prediction is Nebraska loses at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin may not lose again, but we hold tie breaker.

Minnesota will lose to Ohio State.

If Iowa wins the next two we are LOCKED!

Last edited:
Iowa could really almost lock up this weekend with a win, Minny loss @Purdue and a Neb loss @ Maryland. Then, the following week a win vs. Illinois would sew it up before Black Friday and preclude me from dreading that Neb game being in Omaha and listening to all the noise around me.
Maryland is at Nebraska.

Reactions: BigOHawk
What you said was not factually true, if Debby wins out they are in
Not necessarily.

If Iowa wins out, it doesn't matter what anyone else in the west does. Iowa has 2 losses. Everyone else has at least 3. So, Iowa has to lose another game for anyone else to have a chance to win the west.

Reactions: uihawk82
Nebraska plays Maryland at home.

If Iowa wins out they're in unless Minny beats the Buckeyes.

Which has the greatest odds of occurring? I would say Iowa winning out.

I also have a hard time believing Nebby will beat the Badgers at Camp Randall.

Then again, it wouldn't shock me if we lost the last three, lol.

Being at home gives me no more confidence than winning on road. Iowa has lost at home to crap ISU, Nebraska and Minnesota teams the last two years.
All kinds of turnovers in all 3 of those games. Those will almost always kill you. And if Coop gets injured again like he did early in that Nebraska game then yeah all bets are off also. Hope Deshaun Lee would be ready to come in and go.

They won't beat Wisconsin in Madison.

Now you could say Iowa will lose to either Rutgers or Illinois as an offset, but the good thing is they are at home.
yes i am baking in at least one more loss coz not sure we can pull off all the games ahead of us

We will be lucky to win any of our next three games.
And I detest Nebraska as much as any rational human but they're better than us from what I have watched lately.

I can see us get two W's and lose in Lincoln.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Not necessarily.

If Iowa wins out, it doesn't matter what anyone else in the west does. Iowa has 2 losses. Everyone else has at least 3. So, Iowa has to lose another game for anyone else to have a chance to win the west.
He literally stated if Iowa wins the next two it is a lock, Nebraska has 3 losses, if they win out they have the head to head against Iowa.

Reactions: jonesy5960
We will be lucky to win any of our next three games.
And I detest Nebraska as much as any rational human but they're better than us from what I have watched lately.

I can see us get two W's and lose in Lincoln.
They could very well win, but they're not better than Iowa. The offense is almost as bad and the defense, while good, is not as good as Iowa and Iowa has better special teams.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
bravo good job GIF by Ray William Johnson

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I did not watch the Mich State v Nebraska game last weekend, but from a lifelong Husker fan I did hear that Nebraska's QB looked atrocious.

I have seen numerous posts and podcasts saying Iowa is in the drivers seat to win the West. C'mon, with our low scoring, every game is a toss-up. We need to win two of three. Rutgers will be a defensive slobber knocker this weekend. Hell, all three will be tough defensive struggles. Illinois has a good defense and Nebraska has played well also.

I think all these games are a toss-up. A field goal cpuld make the difference. Who ever scores a TD has a very good chance of winning.

Leaving in the morning, looking forward to a good game. Go Hawks!
Have a good trip and enjoy the game. But the term "in the driver's seat" is for that moment and this point in time.

It only means that if Iowa wins all three remaining games then none of the other teams can catch and overtake Iowa for the West Crown. And it means that the other teams behind Iowa are chasing and feel like they have to win out.

Yes, it will be a tough road for Iowa to win because you have to score at least a safety, 2 points , and hahahahaha I am not sure if they can always do it on defense.

Rutgers has a pretty good defense that could shut out the hawks offense. That does not sound good, a 2nd shutout in one season. So again, the defense will probably have to get turnovers, special teams probably needs to get a great return or two and another punt block.

I know the players are pumped and up to it and who knows maybe the run game will have a big day.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
It would be real nice if we could win the next two and have it locked up before heading to Lincoln.
Winning the next 2 games does not mean the hawks will have it locked up. If Nebby wins their next two games and then beats Iowa they will own the tiebreaker and win the West if the tie is just between the hawks and Nebby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT